What about a flashlight that can have it's angle adjusted? Would that be illegal. Many people have flashlights on their pistols. What do you guys think about that?

Me personally? I'd feel fine putting a light on a handgun/pistol. It's the grips/handstops/etc that I'm talking about me staying away from.

I would be leery if the flashlight could be locked in at other angles.ph34r.gif

Edited by Stansplace

What about a flashlight that can have it's angle adjusted? Would that be illegal. Many people have flashlights on their pistols. What do you guys think about that?

Me personally? I'd feel fine putting a light on a handgun/pistol. It's the grips/handstops/etc that I'm talking about me staying away from.

I would be leery if the flashlight could be locked in at other angles.ph34r.gif

I dunno. I wouldn't even second guess a light of any kind, and would have no problem putting one on a handgun/pistol. That's just me though.

For those of you who say "don't add anything", think about this: With the existing forearm, you are using two hands to hold and fire the pistol. Does that make your Draco illegal?

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying.

But for me personally? I'll stay away from anything protruding beneath the forearm of a handgun/pistol, that could be construed as a "vertical grip" of any kind.

YMMV

IIRC the AOW portion of the NFA pertaining to foward grips mentions something about 90 degress from the center axis of the bore. Would the Magpul "forearm" (for all intents and purposes) be at said 90 degrees? To me, it doesn't look it. Having said that.. I would just SBR a Draco.

• 2 weeks later...

As we all know, ATF letters are only specific to the individual they were written to, and even then, aren't legally waterproof.

But............here's an interesting update I found on Arfcom:

ATF-pistol-Q-1-web.jpg

ATF-pistol-Q-2-web.jpg

ATF-pistol-Q-3web.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=509408&page=1

Pretty interesting, eh? A poster in that thread pointed out that due to the wording of the AFG question, and the simple "Yes" reply....that it could be construed as "Yes.....if you register it as an AOW", or a number of other ways.

Still kinda sketchy, IMO. But I thought it was pretty interesting, nonetheless. Figured you guys would like to see it.

Do you think the letter respondent even knows what a Magpul AFG is?

I mean, these are the same guys that set up a state trooper with a malfunctioning AR15 who called them to ask for advice for a "illegal machine gun" charge.

• Like 1