Inter Ordnance AK-47C Experience/Reviews?

Has anybody gotten one of these AK-47C Rifles made by InterOrdnance here in the states?

post-4669-12696308595311_thumb.jpg

How does it shoot and compare to the Saiga? They are claiming these are Sub 2 MOA shooters!

I asked the same question over at the Warrior Talk forum a while back. They've got nothing but bad things to say about them. Here's a few samples:

"My experience with an AK-47C from IO Inc. was negative. I kept the gun for four months and sold it. I can't help you with information about the weight, but I can tell you that my IO AK failed to feed constantly. I could not fire it more than 60 rounds without the bolt hanging open. On bad days, the bolt would hang back after every five or six rounds. I would not advise anyone to buy one."

"I've had the I.O Rifles in class. Reliable functioning with self disassembling furniture. I had to duct tape a forends back together. Not good."

"Please buy these guns to help the economy by keeping gunsmiths and parts manufacturers employed."

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=60045

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been doing some searching on these rifles myself. Seeing a lot of mixed reviews..

Theoretically, an ak made entirely in the USA would be a great thing, and I really like the idea of that. But it should be well made and not a POS. It's also appealing that IO is here in my home state. It would be nice to support the economy here, but I'll have to wait and see how these turn out.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing some searching on these rifles myself. Seeing a lot of mixed reviews..

Theoretically, an ak made entirely in the USA would be a great thing, and I really like the idea of that. But it should be well made and not a POS. It's also appealing that IO is here in my home state. It would be nice to support the economy here, but I'll have to wait and see how these turn out.

I read where its made composed of romanian parts, an elk ridge receiver I think, and a barrel made by mossberg. Some reviews I've read have been really good given the price of them. I 've also heard some bad reviews. I remember reading one about the rifle having feeding issues, but it turned out to be the cheapo thermhold magazine. The guy said he switched to bulgarian mags and the feeding problem went away. I personally would like to know more about the rifle because I've been wanting an AKM style rifle, but I don't want a dam WASR. I wish arsenal would go ahead and come out with the slr108, however, who knows if they ever will though.

Yeah.. that's about what I was coming up with on my searches. I remember seeing a couple last year going for around 300. It seems like recently though the msrp has gotten up to around 600. I'd trust a mossberg barrel.. never had any experience with any receiver other than nodak and the factory saiga though.

got a gun show coming up in about 3 weeks, and I'm hell bent on a new x39 rifle. If I could find one in the $300 range I'd be tempted to buy it and test it out... but for 300 I might be better off buying a new saiga and doing my all wood conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

"An ak made entirely in the USA" does not exist, no matter what you read.

A "100% US made AK" is a legalism.

The 922r law says that once an "evil" non-importable firearm has 10 or less foreign parts (off the list) in it, it can "legally" be sold as "100% US Made", even though the majority of it was made overseas.

You are supporting the economy with every AK you buy, as they're all "100% made in the USA" (according to 922r).

You'll notice it's only the shi**y companies that are carrying on about their "100% American made" Kalashnikovs . . .

Can it be confirmed that ELK RIVER makes the receiver? They [ELK RIVER] bought out Global Trades [Arsenal USA] & they made real good receivers. GARY N4KVE

It doesn't make a flip where the receiver comes from if you've got nickel-and-diming management hiring Century alumni (or rejects) putting together cheap POS'

To confirm that at least one high quality part is used - yes, they used Elk River receivers in some of their builds.

I personally would like to know more about the rifle because I've been wanting an AKM style rifle, but I don't want a dam WASR. I wish arsenal would go ahead and come out with the slr108, however, who knows if they ever will though.

Look, all WASR are Romanians, but not all Romanians are WASR. You might want to understand that before deciding what is good, and what is not.

I personally would like to know more about the rifle because I've been wanting an AKM style rifle, but I don't want a dam WASR. I wish arsenal would go ahead and come out with the slr108, however, who knows if they ever will though.

Look, all WASR are Romanians, but not all Romanians are WASR. You might want to understand that before deciding what is good, and what is not.

That's true, but all Romanian Kalashnikovs, (aside from WASR's and Dracos), are kit guns that have been demilled and rebuilt on US receivers... and I've never seen one that compared very favorably to a Russian or Bulgarian rifle.

Of course, if one's dead-set on an AKM, there aren't many factory-built choices, (overpriced Chinese pre-bans maybe). My advice to EreadM is to look for a rifle built from a Polish kit... ideally one with an original chromed barrel.

*shrug* ymmv.

Guess I hit a nerve. Never said all Romanians were WASR's, just said I don't want one.

• 2 months later...

having some now personal experience with one its no better or worse than a WASR-10 with synthetic furniture, shot my friend's WASR just to cross check it, the only difference is his bolt carrier gets stuck while loading a new round, mine only gets stuck when i slowly move the charging handle, accuracy is about the same, we were both shooting about 2.5-3.5MOA at 50 yards, and about the same at 100 yards, so is it an especially bad rifle? nah, is it worth the price? i think I would've preferred a WASR if only for saving some money, or a AMD65 (they look soooo cool :D) also, one last thing, the magazine that came with my IO 47c was some thermold or polymer thing made by master molder, the damn thing flys out every time! my friend's steel mag however does fine....go figure, probably crappy dimensions on the mag i guess, anyway, rant away

BuffetDestroyer:> member imarangemaster owns one of those models. I would PM him about his direct experiences. That being said, I would rather own a Romanian built CAI WASR than a IO unit. Not a lot of positive reviews on IOs products.

BuffetDestroyer:> member imarangemaster owns one of those models. I would PM him about his direct experiences. That being said, I would rather own a Romanian built CAI WASR than a IO unit. Not a lot of positive reviews on IOs products.

mine has been fine thus far, that doesnt mean it wont wear out over time, I've only put about 200 rounds through it so who knows what problems may or may not eventually arise, but I do agree that WASR is probably the better deal

Bought IO STG2000c Couple months ago my first ak-47. Loved the looks loved how it shot But hated the fact that the front gas block was bent and i would never be able to use my Irons. Traded it and bought a XDM9

If you get a good one you will be happy but your risking getting one of the many defects.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of bad reviews of IO rifles, like bent barrels, bent gas tubes, clogged up with cosmoline, etc...

The ones they are selling in CA, (at Big 5 of all places)and other shops here, the CASAR model, are their old AK-47C models with the "AK_47" ground off, and CASAR stamped on right below it...

For $600, you would think they wouldnt have to grind off a model number and stamp on a new one, even for California...

Saigas sell here for a lot less than that, and are perfectly legal...I'd go with something else myself...(I have a converted Saiga x39)...

Lots of bad reviews of IO rifles, like bent barrels, bent gas tubes, clogged up with cosmoline, etc...

The ones they are selling in CA, (at Big 5 of all places)and other shops here, the CASAR model, are their old AK-47C models with the "AK_47" ground off, and CASAR stamped on right below it...

For $600, you would think they wouldnt have to grind off a model number and stamp on a new one, even for California...

Saigas sell here for a lot less than that, and are perfectly legal...I'd go with something else myself...(I have a converted Saiga x39)...

Since the FCG is a G-2 we took the gun apart, polished the FCG and polished the bolt a little as well. Sort of treated it like we would a Saiga and it has been smooth as silk ever since. Picked it up on GB for 459.00 so it was a good buy and has been reliable. With the dist. out of the Saiga 7.62s at wholesale it might be a good purchase for some.

Still prefer my Saigas though. But a whole lot cheaper and with a little polishing here and there and no other expenses in buying parts to conform to 922R it is a great deal.

With the dist. out of the Saiga 7.62s at wholesale it might be a good purchase for some.

You are honestly going to compare a slopped-together parts gun made with substandard parts to a factory made Saiga?

GTFO

Same FCG your using in your Saiga--just modified in the converted Saigas. Same Tapco stuff a lot of people use. And doesn't require 3-600 dollars worth of work and addons.

I still prefer my Saigas but not everyone can afford the investment in time and money to make them into what we like about them.

If all ya got is 460 or so it's a decent gun.

And out of the 1000's that have been sold (2000 from one distributor alone) most are happy with them.

With the dist. out of the Saiga 7.62s at wholesale it might be a good purchase for some.

You are honestly going to compare a slopped-together parts gun made with substandard parts to a factory made Saiga?

GTFO

Same FCG your using in your Saiga--just modified in the converted Saigas. Same Tapco stuff a lot of people use. And doesn't require 3-600 dollars worth of work and addons.

I still prefer my Saigas but not everyone can afford the investment in time and money to make them into what we like about them.

If all ya got is 460 or so it's a decent gun.

And out of the 1000's that have been sold (2000 from one distributor alone) most are happy with them.

I'm referring to the receiver and barrel. Neither are milspec on the IO offerings.

. . and you can convert a Saiga for about $100 over the cost of the rifle. . .