two quick ARSENAL SGL20 questions

1. Are there adapters to where I could put a 14x1LH muzzle brake (FSC47) on the SGL20--I think the SGL20 has a 24mm base attached to the FSB? Where could I get an adapter?

2. Are the front handguards and the retainer thingy completely and EASILY removable so that I could put a DPH tri-rail and an ultimak on it?

Thanks,

Joe Flowers

#2 not easily, you would have to remove the FSB and GB to remove the Hg retainer. Also its doubtful your SLG has the 2 little tit things on the GB that the full length HG's such as the DPH use.

Great. Thanks. Why couldn't I cut off the handguard retainer thingy in order to put my DPH tri-rail on it?

COULD I re-thread it to 14x1LH?

Edited by jflow25@gmail.com

Ah. I forgot about those mounting nubs. Ugh. I know arsenals are great and all, but sheesh, they sure are cramping my Saiga-AK-style.

Could I re-thread the 24x1.5mm RH to a 14x1LH? Or rethread the muzzle-brake? (not sure which would be easier)

Edited by jflow25@gmail.com

No and no 24mm is lots bigger than 14 mm your best bet, if your bound and determined to use a 14x1 muzzle attachment, would be remove the FSB, replace it with a Saiga FSB, and thread the barrel 14x1, none of which makes any sense at all to me, but, its your rifle. As far as the HG thing, I guess you would have to replace the GB with a Saiga GB, this makes even less sense to me, but again, your rifle, your choice.

mav,

i agree about the handguard--i'll just sell mine and get something that fits.

as for the threading issue, according to dinzag, i can just cut off the 24x1.5RH threaded shroud, then thread the barrel to a 14x1LH. i didn't realize it was a shroud--i thought the barrel was threaded.

The 24x1.5 threads are part of the front sight block. You are correct, you could cut off that part of the shroud and thread your barrel to 14x1. I'm thinking you have a very good reason for doing this? I have a 14x1 threaded barrel on my Saiga and I'm thinking about installing an AK fsb so I can have the 24x1.5 threads and more importantly the spring pin that holds the muzzle brake in the correct orientation. You'll lose that little feature if you go through with your plan.

yeah, after shooting a converted Saiga with NO muzzle-break this weekend, i've come to realize that the recoil/muzzle-lift of the fsc isn't all that great....i think i just overestimated the AK since i've been an AUG and AR person my whole life and therefore a recoil-wimp. i'll probably just stick with the AK muzzle-brake (though i will have bleeding eardrums in a home defense situation, it's still better than being dead).

hi all,i recently purchased a saiga 7.62&39 and did a full conversation this weekend.i used a dremel tool with a metal cutoff wheel.ijust measured back 5/8" and marked it with tape.then i slowly scored around the tape on the barrel until the front sight block metal was near breaking through.i then took slip joint pliers and broke off the piece.there is epoxy around the threads,so i took a utility knife and cleaned the threads out,and then took the dremel tool with a wire wheel and cleaned everything up,and painted!ordered a ak-74 style tapco muzzle brake from carolina shooter`s supply(14mm left-hand threads).i`am just waiting now!my rifle was produced on 3-2009,so not sure other rifles come with the barrel threaded like mine.

post-24030-12699243032168_thumb.jpg

post-24030-12699244666103_thumb.jpg

post-24030-12699244982102_thumb.jpg