Would this be legal?

I am 18 years old and I just purchased a Saiga 12 and joined this forum :chris:

I am wanting to know if owning and using a 10 round magazine for my Saiga 12 would be legal.

It is a completely unconverted "Sportsman" type Saiga 12 with nothing done to it except an upgraded iron sight.

I live in Arizona.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Edited by theozonelayerhatesme

With a Saiga 12, you can reach compliance without conversion by using a US-made handguard, a US-made magazine and if you have a threaded barrel, a US-made muzzle device on it.

Great! So if I put a US-made handguard, a US-made 10 round magazine on it, and a US-made muzzle device on it, I reach compliance?

With a Saiga 12, you can reach compliance without conversion by using a US-made handguard, a US-made magazine and if you have a threaded barrel, a US-made muzzle device on it.

Great! So if I put a US-made handguard, a US-made 10 round magazine on it, and a US-made muzzle device on it, I reach compliance?

yep, you could swap out the gas puck for a U.S. made one too.

btw your screen name cracked me up! :lolol:

Edited by Snoofer

yep, you could swap out the gas puck for a U.S. made one too.

btw your screen name cracked me up! :lolol:

Thanks a lot!!! Your bike looks amazing. I'm new to Saigas, what is this "gas puck"? and do you mean swap this gas puck out for a US-made one instead of getting a US-made handguard or muzzle device?

if you remove the cap from the gas tube there's a little piston that sides back and forth. i think technically you'd be ok with just changing one part out and using U.S. mags, but i'm not an expert on compliance. you might wanna change out two just to be covered. that's what i did anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np5V3v6POas

there's a few different brands to choose from.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-250/SAIGA-12-20-CHAOS/Detail

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-309/Saiga-E-dsh-tac-Gas-Piston/Detail

if you remove the cap from the gas tube there's a little piston that sides back and forth. i think technically you'd be ok with just changing one part out and using U.S. mags, but i'm not an expert on compliance. you might wanna change out two just to be covered. that's what i did anyway.

there's a few different brands to choose from.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-250/SAIGA-12-20-CHAOS/Detail

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-309/Saiga-E-dsh-tac-Gas-Piston/Detail

The threaded barrel Saiga 12 has 14 countable parts. An all US mag is three. You can remove the thread protector and technically you're compliant. Or you can replace it with a US muzzle brake. Or you can leave the thread protector and replace the gas puck. But if you do either of those things you have to use all US mags. You can't add a muzzle break or gas puck and then use a factory or otherwise foreign mag because you'd be over the 10 part 922r limit. With all of the US extended capacity magazines I see no reason to use the factory five rounder. If you like the look of the stock configuration go with the US gas puck and all US made mags.

But if you do either of those things you have to use all US mags. You can't add a muzzle break or gas puck and then use a factory or otherwise foreign mag because you'd be over the 10 part 922r limit. With all of the US extended capacity magazines I see no reason to use the factory five rounder. If you like the look of the stock configuration go with the US gas puck and all US made mags.

that's where it gets confusing to me. why couldn't you use the factor five round mag if the gun is still in the stock configuration? i thought adding the pistol grip or using bigger mags is what takes it out of "sporting" configuration?

could someone please clear this up for me so i can get on with my life?? :lolol:

Edited by Snoofer

......................I see no reason to use the factory five rounder...............

How about baseline testing & home defense, as all US made mags have had issues & one never knows weather it's a gun issue or a mag issue until using a mag they KNOW is unquestionably dependable. The Russian 5.

I am wanting to know if owning and using a 10 round magazine for my Saiga 12 would be legal.

It is a completely unconverted "Sportsman" type Saiga 12 with nothing done to it except an upgraded iron sight.

I live in Arizona.

Just convert it!

(It'll get ya laid) :devil:

I live in Arizona.

Just convert it!

(It'll get ya laid) :devil:

:lolol:

+1 Just convert it!

Thanks so much guys!

You are all awesome :super:

I don't have the money to convert my Saiga-12 at this time, I just used all of my money to buy my gun :) Although it will be converted in the next few years for sure!

What if my barrel is un-threaded?

At the front tip of the barrel, it came with this strange round ring piece of metal that is around the barrel. What is this thing?

Thanks so much guys!

You are all awesome :super:

I don't have the money to convert my Saiga-12 at this time, I just used all of my money to buy my gun :) Although it will be converted in the next few years for sure!

What if my barrel is un-threaded?

At the front tip of the barrel, it came with this strange round ring piece of metal that is around the barrel. What is this thing?

Convert it you will be super glad you did. The tromix d y s trigger guard/saftystop/pistol grip nut just bolts on!

The tapco g-2 trigger unit is so dammn smoothh h hh ! The only part that need to be worked is the hammer to get it to clear the ejector part of the gun.

post-2353-12697223583689_thumb.jpg

Your S-12 should have come with a tool for removing the thread protector. It looks like a bottle opener.

+1 Which is also the same tool to adjust the gas plug. Round holed end for the muzzle nut and the long flat end to turn the gas plug slots and push the detent pin in.

Edited by Mullet Man

Great choice on the new weapon, and great choice on the color of your 'hawk. I'd like to add that your factory muzzle nut wrench also works on cervezas, but you got a few more years until you reach age compliance on those. Rock on with your new s-12, and read the bolt polishing thread, it makes a huge difference.

Great choice on the new weapon, and great choice on the color of your 'hawk. I'd like to add that your factory muzzle nut wrench also works on cervezas, but you got a few more years until you reach age compliance on those. Rock on with your new s-12, and read the bolt polishing thread, it makes a huge difference.

Thanks a ton I love my Saiga-12! I bought my Saiga off of a friend, and I did not get a muzzle nut wrench :cryss: I'll have to ask him about it. Could I just take it off with my hands or pliers?

I'll be loving this thing and enjoying every second with it for the rest of my life. I'll read that bolt polishing thread for sure.

Your S-12 should have come with a tool for removing the thread protector. It looks like a bottle opener.

+1 Which is also the same tool to adjust the gas plug. Round holed end for the muzzle nut and the long flat end to turn the gas plug slots and push the detent pin in.

I bought this off of a friend and I did not get a tool for removing the thread protector and to adjust the gas plug. I'll have to talk to him about it. Is it absolutely necessary or could I take the protector off and adjust the gas plug with my hands or other tool?