ProMag issues

So have any of you all had any luck with the ProMag 10 rounds clips working without modification?

I have a Saiga 12, soon to be converted, but still stock and I picked up some ProMag 10 round clips in anticipation, but they're not fitting in the well.

model.jpg

The front tang goes in, but when you rotate it back, it's too long to fit.

mag004.jpg

I suppose I could start carving on it, but most of it's plastic and I don't want to make it any weaker. Plus if there is some kind of mismatch I would like to be able to sell them off and get ones that work and I think hacking these up might make it harder to sell.

The label on the packaging is:

SAIGA 12 GAUGE

(10) RD BLACK POLYMER

SAI 02

lifetime warranty

promag on the left

mag003.jpg

mag001.jpg

Edited by puzzlin

You're going to have to do some sanding and fitting. I have two S-12's, and the mags for each are totally different. Welcome to the wonderful world of Russina made products.

I would be careful with promag stick mags. I don't own any, but from what I understand, some have also had problems with shells feeding within the mag body (do a search for the boiling water fix). I had similar feed problems with a few of my AGP's, but loosening the screws holding the two halves together fixed that.

When I bought my saiga it came with 2 pro MAGs,

these magazines, required me to sand them to lock in the gun, and even then they only fed properly about half the time

some people on this forum swear by them, but i value my time, and have just been buying agp's and surefires since with 0 issues.

YMMV

Sorry nobody really helped yet, we've all seen the name ProMag far too much lately.

To make it fit in;

File a touch off the bottom of the rear tab that the mag release holds on to.

Just a touch & try, then a touch more if needed.

If you have feeding issues like I did This was the problem, a collapsed interior diameter due to weak plastic.

LaymansInteriordiametercheck1.jpg

The problem was fixed by inserting a small hammers handle (some use a socket) into the magazine body, twisting the handle, so as to spread the mag a touch & boiling it for approximately 10 seconds.

You are spreading it to be the exact same size as the Russian 5.

I let it cool with the hammer handle still inserted, so it would not collapse back while cooling.

I also had to spread the spring steel reinforcement / guide at the rear of the mag, to reduce pressure & prevent the guide from re-collapsing the mag body over time.

To fix the follower from raising too high, do the same (inserting something slightly larger & boiling for 5 seconds) to the follower to make the follower's runners stay in the guide channels inside the mag.

This was done after the test & worked on a later test.

Some stick a wine cork in there to keep it from re-collapsing.

ProMag must improve the rigidity of their product in order for them to be dependable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We7d-XiOduY

You may want to stretch the spring a little bit too, (4"-6") as the ProMag springs are weak compared to quality springs.

And a spray of silicone never hurt them.

Edited by Paulyski

Thanks for the replies! :)

I'm surprised promag ones were that crap. I guess that's my fault not researching a bit before picking these up.

It looks like I have my work cut out with these mags. :)

Makes me wish I knew enough to make my own clips. :)

I love how you took the photo!!!! I dont own any ProMag stick mags so I cant be any help but all mags need alitttle help here or there but from what I have read the ProMags need more help than others to get them running... Take another photo of the hammer in the mag for us please...

Slug-O

Point taken.

Sorry to offend with my casual slang.

I'm sorry to see that Promag magazinesare such pieces of crap.

It makes me wish that I could make my own detachable box magazines

Is that better?

Happens to many, don't feel bad.

Nobody says Clip around here for too long, it's like an innitiation. ;)

Welcome to posting on the forum. :up:

Other words to try to avoid are Drum, AR-15, LRBHO & "Which is best" :rolleyes:

Pro-Mags can be made to work, but in many's experiences, they should be reserved for range mags, not SHTF mags.

Some LEOs carry the S-12 with AGPs.

Russian 8s are the best, but their around $140.00.

Point taken.

Sorry to offend with my casual slang.

I'm sorry to see that Promag magazinesare such pieces of crap.

It makes me wish that I could make my own detachable box magazines

Is that better?

haha, yes it is sir,

unfortunately you still have the same mags,

ive read around here that if you send them in they send you new ones, but whether they are any better or not...

couldn't tell you

I just jumped ship from the brand.

I love how you took the photo!!!! I dont own any ProMag stick mags so I cant be any help but all mags need alitttle help here or there but from what I have read the ProMags need more help than others to get them running... Take another photo of the hammer in the mag for us please...

Slug-O

Ohhh. :mellow:

That might be a problem...

Another forum member has the mag now. I sold it.

He posted on one of the vanished promag drum threads that it still worked, but he keeps it as a range mag.

The hammer was one of those 99 cent harbor freight rubber mallets. They have a small oval shaped handle. I'm sure a small ball peen hammer would work too.

I put the handle in through the bottom, so the thickest part is at the top, & twisted a little bit to spread it to the exact same size mouth opening as the Russian 5. Then boiled it for about 10-15 seconds, let cool & do it again & let it cool again.

While it's cooling, you may as well spread the spring steel feed lips a touch, because if you don't, the polymer is soft enough to re-collapse under the pressure the feed lips apply.

Hmmmm.... :unsure:

Maybe that's where the inconsistency that's been experienced comes from?

It would make sense. Different feed lip runs having differing pressures.

Edited by Paulyski

You're going to have to do some sanding and fitting. I have two S-12's, and the mags for each are totally different. Welcome to the wonderful world of Russina made products.

I would be careful with promag stick mags. I don't own any, but from what I understand, some have also had problems with shells feeding within the mag body (do a search for the boiling water fix). I had similar feed problems with a few of my AGP's, but loosening the screws holding the two halves together fixed that.

loosening the screws on an agp mag fixes the symptom not the problem. the problem area in the agp mags are the rails where the high brass portion of the shell rides. sanding or scraping a conservative 16th of an inch from these areas makes them run 100% and you can keep your screws nice and tight. while you are in there, smooth up any areas that have excess plastic left by the molding process (including seams on the follower). i highly recommend this mod to anyone running agp magazines. all 13 of mine run flawlessly now and my bottle of graphite is gathering dust on the back shelf.

Ohhh. :mellow:

That might be a problem...

Another forum member has the mag now. I sold it.

He posted on one of the vanished promag drum threads that it still worked, but he keeps it as a range mag.

The hammer was one of those 99 cent harbor freight rubber mallets. They have a small oval shaped handle. I'm sure a small ball peen hammer would work too.

I put the handle in through the bottom, so the thickest part is at the top, & twisted a little bit to spread it to the exact same size mouth opening as the Russian 5. Then boiled it for about 10-15 seconds, let cool & do it again & let it cool again.

While it's cooling, you may as well spread the spring steel feed lips a touch, because if you don't, the polymer is soft enough to re-collapse under the pressure the feed lips apply.

Hmmmm.... :unsure:

Maybe that's where the inconsistency that's been experienced comes from?

It would make sense. Different feed lip runs having differing pressures.

So,

Which is the BEST hammer to use when modding a ProMag magazine??????

I would be careful with pro mag stick mags. I don't own any, but from what I understand, some have also had problems with shells feeding within the mag body (do a search for the boiling water fix). I had similar feed problems with a few of my AGP's, but loosening the screws holding the two halves together fixed that.

pro mag took me for 50 hard earned dollars ,[pricks]!buy shure fire excelent ,and reliable mag.

Happens to many, don't feel bad.

Nobody says Clip around here for too long, it's like an innitiation.

Welcome to posting on the forum.

Other words to try to avoid are Drum, AR-15, LRBHO & "Which is best"

Hi Puzzlin,

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. The first thing to do after joining this forum and introducing yourself is start a new thread titled "Cobra, When is You're LRBHO Coming Out!?"

Note: Only do this AFTER sending a PM to the user 'Cobra' with the same title.

:angel:

Welcome!

I had to fit mine to the S-12. All my aftermarket magazines (AGP, Pro Mag & the 5 rd. Taiwanese) mags required minor fitting to the S-12. Only the factory five rounder mag fit right out of the box.

The only one which had to be tweaked was the AGP and after that it's very reliable as are the rest of the mags (including Pro Mag). I hand cycled the AGP with a spent Russian steel shell case to smooth the inside where it was sticking.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial, followed your instructions and now i have 3 usable ProMags!!

Sorry nobody really helped yet, we've all seen the name ProMag far too much lately.

To make it fit in;

File a touch off the bottom of the rear tab that the mag release holds on to.

Just a touch & try, then a touch more if needed.

If you have feeding issues like I did This was the problem, a collapsed interior diameter due to weak plastic.

LaymansInteriordiametercheck1.jpg

The problem was fixed by inserting a small hammers handle (some use a socket) into the magazine body, twisting the handle, so as to spread the mag a touch & boiling it for approximately 10 seconds.

You are spreading it to be the exact same size as the Russian 5.

I let it cool with the hammer handle still inserted, so it would not collapse back while cooling.

I also had to spread the spring steel reinforcement / guide at the rear of the mag, to reduce pressure & prevent the guide from re-collapsing the mag body over time.

To fix the follower from raising too high, do the same (inserting something slightly larger & boiling for 5 seconds) to the follower to make the follower's runners stay in the guide channels inside the mag.

This was done after the test & worked on a later test.

Some stick a wine cork in there to keep it from re-collapsing.

ProMag must improve the rigidity of their product in order for them to be dependable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We7d-XiOduY

You may want to stretch the spring a little bit too, (4"-6") as the ProMag springs are weak compared to quality springs.

And a spray of silicone never hurt them.

For what it's worth I even had a factory five that wouldn't stay in the gun. Oh it fit fine, but after you racked the bolt to load a round it would fall out! Only mag I've never had to do any mods on is the AGP.....

• 2 months later...

funny how I'm terrible at researching on the internet. Promag sounded like the end all mag till I got 'em. I knew I'd have to sand the back tabs a lil bit after the two I bought didn't fit but I didn't realize this many had that problem along with all the other stuff. But you can never have too many mags right? :unsure:

Got one in, I actually had to remove some material from the sides. Right next to where it says "12 ga.", there are two triangles, the one closest to the back flares up toward the feeding lips. These weren't allowing the mag to go in far enough to lock on place. Fits snug as a bitch tho, cant wait to get my guts back so I can see how it feeds!

Edited by Goose