.357 Any Recommendations?

I have my 21st b-day comong up, and want to purchase my first handgun. After shooting my aunts .357 I decided thats what I want, preferably a revolver.

Do any of you guys have a reccomendation on any particular make or model? Or know what to stay away from?

I have a Smith and Wesson 586, fixed sights with a four inch barrel that can put six rounds in the center of a paper plate at 100 yards. But a lot goes into buying a wheel-gun. It should fit your hand and have a good balance,the cylinder should lock tight when cocked and check the smoothness of the rotation of said cylinder.

The .357 is not a sexy round but it has several advantages: 1) Will shoot .38 Speical rounds which are cheap and plentiful for target practice. 2)Lots of fun .357 ammo is also available. 3)Recoil is low (for a magnum). 4) Is a prooven effective round in stopping all varmits. 5) Since almost all law enforcement jumped on the 9mm/.40 cal autoloader's bandwagon, there are lots of good quality like-new used ones on the market. 6) Reloading supplies are cheap and plentiful.

Like I said, I like the S&W but I've seen good straight shooting Colts, Rugers and Tarus too. Hope this helps.

:chris:

For wheels, I only look at S&W.

Since moving to Florida, I keep a snub-nose 60 in stainless steel locked in my trunk. It holds up to the heat/humidity very well, even months at a time.

If it was for concealed carry, I'ld get a 340 ( lighter, no exposed hammer ). But I prefer my P2000sk or Kel-tec for that ;-)

I had a Ruger Blackhawk that was the most well balanced and accurate handgun I had ever shot. Like a dumbass I traded it for a nice guitar. :cryss: I liked it better than my buddy's S&W but I always did like the cowboy style guns. Those are single action though so if you want a double action I would recomend the GP100 or a S&W. It is very nice having the choice to shoot .38's when you are just plinking and be able to put a .357 in when you want to blow the crap out of something without even changing cylinders. :super:

I just checked and there is a GP100 for sale on this board in the for sale section.

Edited by Cobra 76 two

I think the .357 Sig pretty much does everything the .357 125gr load does, only you get 12-15 of them instead of six.

Wjatever you do, just learn how to shoot it double action without thumbcocking the hammer. I don't think i've seen anyone shoot a double action revolver in double action mode for about 4 years now.

ruger makes a lot of nice revolvers. there is another maker you might consider, Dan Wesson. very accurate little wheelguns, but a bit pricey.

I have a Dan Wesson Ventilated Rib Pistol Pac in .357. I bought it new in Flint, MI. It has four interchangeable barrels ranging from a two inch snubby to an eight inch. I have had it for years. I bought it when it was marketed as the ugly muzzle gun. It is a target gun out of the box. Very accurate and a sensitive trigger. My guess is it has doubled in value over the years. It's novel so I wouldn't part with it.

For concealed carry I have two Taurus 38 Specials. One in blue and one in stainless. They are a Smith clone and cost me about half the price of a Smith. Good quality for their intended purpose.

Too bad Colt doesn't make the Python .357 any longer. I have never felt a finer action on a revolver than that of a Python.

As for a single purchase recommendation you can't go wrong with a Smith. I am sorry I sold my model 586 38 special stainless years ago. It was the first handgun I bought fresh out of the military. I was introduced to handguns in the Military and was awarded a few ribbons for straight shooting the old pistol. The M-16 was something else. I couldn't hit the barn with it....except at night....??? How do you shoot marksman with a handgun and hardly qualify with a rifle? I guess you can't blame the eyes. I didn't like the sights on or that freakin distracting spring sound in the M-16.

Since then I have become partial to semi-auto pistols. Most notably my Browning hi-power 9mm and Colt 45 Gov't model. I haven't bought another in years so no Glocks or anything in 10mm. I am less intrigued with handguns these days and more enamored with with rifles and shotguns.

Long story short is Smith & Wesson revolvers are reliable,durable, plentiful and can be found both used and new. If you're not careful the next thing you know you'll be reloading for it too. Been there and done that. Even went so far as to go into casting my own lead. Still have the equipment but haven't done it for years. It's fun but time consuming. You can spend alot on reloading equipment incuding carbide dies. It's alot easier to order off the Web and have UPS deliver a thousand rounds to your door if you know what I mean. And with Wolf ammo who the hen worries about brass. But that's plinking not shooting competitively.

Wolverine

First handgun?

DON'T get a snubby carry gun (they'll be time for that)...

GET A SHOOTER.

S&W is hard to beat -so, why try?

A 586, 686 is fine. The 4" has the best compromise of balance and length of sight base. A older model 19 is fine as well.

May I recommend a alternative...a hefty N-frame .357. Meaning, a model 27 or 28 (same gun, different blued finish). A 4" in this is a heavy service gun, a very tough gun (you can shoot very hot loads for ages and not hurt it -.357 can do some gas cutting on the top straps of smaller frame guns) and, it is a "bullet holer".

Finally, you can get some great deals on a used one.

If interested, seek a TIGHT one with a "pinned" barrel (it's screwed in as well) and a RECESSED cylinder. these are fine weapons (not made anymore with the indicated features).

Sights? Factory white outine rear with red ramp front -you'll need nothing else.

The only real alternative is the GP100 series Rugers -and, the triggers suck...they are not much better after a replacement spring job. Smiths can feel like greased glass with a hair let-off.

Leave the auto pistols be, too (time for that as well).

Start right with a solid revolver -you will not regret it. Ask any experienced pistol shooter, and they will pretty much tell you the same.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger
  • 3 weeks later...

SaigaShooter- Just checking your thread and wondering if you had made your decision. Also got to thinking that there are books out there by (and about) Elmer Keith who is to the .357mag what Col. Cooper is to the .45acp. I would look for these also.

Interesting replies. I also thought that spring sound on the M16 was distracting, along with the airish attitude when in close quarters.

My first choice is a S&W Model 27-2 with 6" barrel, blued, for plain old-fashioned accuracy it is hard to beat. Think the 27-3 no longer had the pinned barrel. The 1975 edition was full target.

Second choice would be the Model 19 by S&W, blued with a 4 incher for closer working conditions. Hard to beat a Model 19.

The Model 28 Highway Patrol is supposed to be good, too.

I also agree with the statement about the Model 29 in .44 Mag, except the fact remains you should watch your powder when you buy your shells if you want it to fire like the .357. The Model 29-2 in 6" blue is my choice there.

Don't much know about those newer models. Never shot one.

Be careful and have fun!

Edited by Gunz4Fun