Dinzag AK sight conversion

I like mine quite a bit and am happy with the purchase, it got my S12 where I wanted to be with my Saiga project.

Overall I am happy with it and recommend it to others partly because it's a quality product and partly because Dinzag has always been great to deal with and is the kind of businessman that I respect.

Two small issues that detract from it's perfection and neither is particularly negative, both are just observations.

1: It's very functional but I think it could have been more cleanly put together. I've seen another smith do the same thing without the blobby weld lines. I don't care one bit personally on mine but it looks like it can be a smoother...I'm not a welder so I might be talking out of my ass, but mine is kind of rough looking and the other you couldn't see any welds at all. It stood out some when the S12 was parked, but now that it's duracoated you can't see it on a practical level.

2: The rear sight leaf did not have any tension on it and would flop up and down all the time. A friend spot welded it in place to keep it from floppy, and so now the sight isn't adjustable...but that doesn't matter on a shotgun obviously and again, personally I don't care. Its a minor issue and doesn't affect function.

Other than those two little things I have nothing but good stuff to say...I like it, it compliments the look of my S12 perfectly and I've gotten a lot of miles out of it. I would buy another if I were in the market for a second S12, Dinag has sold me a lot of stuff over the years and it's all been good, plus he's a great guy to deal with.

S12MagWell_009.JPG

S12Folder_18.5.JPG

S12Folder_G_02.JPG

Z

TX-Zen,

What is that interesting little "lever" looking doodad coming out the left side of the reciever?

BTW I've been bitten by the bug pretty good. It's time to find S12 #3.... thank you for getting me over here on the S12 board.

I like mine quite a bit and am happy with the purchase, it got my S12 where I wanted to be with my Saiga project.

Overall I am happy with it and recommend it to others partly because it's a quality product and partly because Dinzag has always been great to deal with and is the kind of businessman that I respect.

Two small issues that detract from it's perfection and neither is particularly negative, both are just observations.

1: It's very functional but I think it could have been more cleanly put together. I've seen another smith do the same thing without the blobby weld lines. I don't care one bit personally on mine but it looks like it can be a smoother...I'm not a welder so I might be talking out of my ass, but mine is kind of rough looking and the other you couldn't see any welds at all. It stood out some when the S12 was parked, but now that it's duracoated you can't see it on a practical level.

2: The rear sight leaf did not have any tension on it and would flop up and down all the time. A friend spot welded it in place to keep it from floppy, and so now the sight isn't adjustable...but that doesn't matter on a shotgun obviously and again, personally I don't care. Its a minor issue and doesn't affect function.

Other than those two little things...

S12MagWell_009.JPG

Z

Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, but those two "little things" would be deal-breakers for me. Yeah, I'm too much of a perfectionist; cause perfect AK's don't exist. I have never failed to find at least a couple minor build flaws in any Kalashnikov-type firearm I've had the opportunity to examine. Regardless, those two "little things" would really annoy me.

Since it's a shotgun, I prefer leaving the factory gas tube in place and replacing the factory irons with Krebs S-12 irons. A rear sight adjustable for elevation just isn't at all necessary on a 12-gauge. That said, I don't care that much about making my S-12 as Russian mil-spec as possible. Function over form imo. To each his own, though, and TX-Zen's S-12 is damned impressive.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

...Two small issues that detract from it's perfection and neither is particularly negative, both are just observations.

That top pic as looks pretty horrid. :eek: Should have gave me a shout! When we first started doing them we'd fill & smooth any pin holes/depressions before duracoating. If you had it stripped & parked, that material is long gone. Also parking generally doesn't give a consistant finish over welded areas with dissimiliar metals. I like to run stainless in there as the base parts have all kinds of nasties that like to come out. The last year or so we've been doing them totally different. While it takes much longer, the end result is very clean. Just perfecting the process.

I use mine with slugs, very handy for elevation. If that leaf was flopping around, you can tweak the spring back into shape or just replace it, easy fix. Might have gotten over-compressed when it was stripped for parking. Again, you should have gave me a shout. Don't like to see unhappy campers.

BTW - that's a beautiful build there, nice work! :up:

I appreciate your business!

D,

Thanks for the compliment, I can honestly say I probably wouldn't have pressed forward with the magwell and stock if I hadn't already had your mod on there.

And like I said none of the little stuff has ever bothered me and it never crossed my mind to mention it. It was really that minor to me. I always figured some of the roughness was probably due to mine being on the early side of your mods and I realized after I got it parked that it seemed to have gotten worse, so I agree the stripping probably didn't help. As you can see in the duracoated pic you can't tell the weld lines are there and in person you have to get pretty close to find them. No one that's ever seen it in person has even noticed it. The sight leaf probably just broke loose after a bit, the welder that pinned back in place mentioned the metal spring tensioner was very brittle...sh*t happens you know? It was an easy fix and no loss of functionality, not worth mentioning.

Thanks again, like I said if I were going to get a second S12 I'd get another gas tube mod and am happy to recommend it to anyone who's interested (and often do).

Z