cleaning question

I have a buddy in the army that came home from iraq 2 weeks ago. He told me that him and a lot of the other guys in his unit used shaving cream to clean their bores after use. They said it worked better than anything else they had. Anybody ever heard of this ot tried it?? Is it really that good??

they using the strait out of the can white sutff or the gilete gel stuff? i might have top use some of thois on my piston...it gets dirty lol

as far as i know is just the regular old shaving cream. Im gonna give it a shot this weekend. Ill let yall know how it works out

HOOP

Ditto on the CLP been using it on all my guns for 15+ years. This is how I clean a AK rifle.

Go to Wal-mart and get from these depts.

Sporting goods dept.

A pump spray bottle of Break-Free CLP www.break-free.com/

A 30cal and a 20 gauge bore brushes

Automotive dept.

A can of brake parts cleaner

A set of brushes or brush with brass or steel brissles. like this

www.woodcarvingstore.com/RotaryToolAccessories/CleaningBrushes.asp

Housewares dept.

roll of paper towels

Drug dept.

A new tooth brush.

When you get home swap out you new tooth brush for you old one.Spray down all the parts of your rifle with CLP and let it sit for 15 minuites. Use your old tooth brush to scrub the inside of the receiver and parts. Use the brass/steel brush on the gas piston. It will take several applications of CLP and scrubbing to get heavy amounts of carbon off the gas piston. A wire wheel in a electric drill can be used to cut down on the amount of scrubbing needed. Use the 30cal brush on the bore and the 20 gauge brush on the gas tube/gas block. Once clean put 4 paper towels in the bottom of the bag you brought the stuff home from Wal-mart in. Hold the parts over the bag and use the brake parts cleaner to rinse everything off. Brake parts cleaner removes everything and leaves no residue. Spray a 4"x4" piece of rag and one patch with CLP. Rub the rag on every part inside and out to lube/protect it and run the patch through the bore. Put the rag and patch in a zip lock bag to use the next time you clean your rifle. Make sure to wipe the gas piston,gas tube,and gas block down. The CLP will get into the pores of the metal and not let the carbon stick tight. So the next time you clean your rifle the brass/steel brissle brush will not be needed only the tooth brush. Take the bag with the paper towels which have absorbed all the brake parts cleaner and dirt outside or in the garage to let the bpc evaporate then throw it away.

I recently consolidated all the cleaners/etc..

Cleaning: Hoppes #9.

Shooters Choice Xtreme Clean for barrel fouling ( if needed )

Lubricating/Protection:

Militec-1 oil

Militec-1 grease ( where needed )

Been very happy with the changes, and life is much easier!

well guys, went to the range this weekend. when i got home i decided to try the shaving cream.

it turned out alright, but made more of a mess itsself that the powder residue and crud inside the gun. took me a while to get it cleaned out of there. On the bright side, it did do a good job of cleaning the carbon off my hands when i was done cleaning.

I think for now im gonna stick with the dynamic trio..Hopps 9, brake cleaner, and rem oil.

HOOP

No disrespect to our guys in Iraq but military guys will try just about anything to save some time and effort and if it does harm to the weapon the armorer will just fix it for free. In bootcamp our DIs used a a power drill to clean M16 bores for inspection, gasoline instead of GI bore cleaner and even rubbed aluminum foil onto different spots to make it look better.

Doctors have it right about cleaning guns; first, do no harm. :wub:

I may have gotten a good tip the other day from a local sherrif's deputy. He and another guy were talking in the local farm supply store while waiting in line about what the other guy was going to do with all that starter fluid (ether). He said he used it to clean his guns as well as kill wasps and get his old tractor started. The deputy said that all the guys at the dept. use it too for cleaning because it's cheap and effective. I would still recommend CLP for lubrication after. Anyone else heard of this?

I may have gotten a good tip the other day from a local sherrif's deputy. He and another guy were talking in the local farm supply store while waiting in line about what the other guy was going to do with all that starter fluid (ether). He said he used it to clean his guns as well as kill wasps and get his old tractor started. The deputy said that all the guys at the dept. use it too for cleaning because it's cheap and effective. I would still recommend CLP for lubrication after. Anyone else heard of this?

i've heard of all kinds of fuels and such being used on the guns. i'm no chemist, but the cousin of a guy my sister's friend used to date said that carbon will bond well with the petro based stuff and often lead to carbon in lands and grooves seeming to melt away. of course, the 'new' citrus-based cleaners are just as good for removing carbon and not nearly as harmful.

Laquer thinner seem to dissolve the residue from Russian ammo better than anything I have tryed so far.. Used it to clean the piston on the wife's .410, and the barell on my MN38- cuts the crud like magic!

G O B