Ultimak heat & optics

Hey everyone.

I've got an Ultimak on my Draco pistol and I'm currently waiting for my Aimpoint T1 for it. I'm wanting to do a similar setup for a Saiga 223 I have coming, but I know they can get hot with rapid fire. My question is.....

Has anyone here had any experience with rapid fire or full auto while using an Ultimak on a 223 AK (Saiga or otherwise)? If so, did it adversely affect your optics? I'm wanting to go with another Aimpoint micro dot T1 for it (or the Primary Arms micro).

Thanks

Corbin

Joe, ran one for years on my shotty with no ill effects...

But I think an ultimak would get much hotter than a shotty with a halo or a chaos...

Hey everyone.

I've got an Ultimak on my Draco pistol and I'm currently waiting for my Aimpoint T1 for it. I'm wanting to do a similar setup for a Saiga 223 I have coming, but I know they can get hot with rapid fire. My question is.....

Has anyone here had any experience with rapid fire or full auto while using an Ultimak on a 223 AK (Saiga or otherwise)? If so, did it adversely affect your optics? I'm wanting to go with another Aimpoint micro dot T1 for it (or the Primary Arms micro).

Thanks

Corbin

The one time I did a lot of rapid fire with the Ultimak/Aimpoint setup, the Aimpoint got much hotter than I was happy with. It still worked without hiccup though. The general consensus I've heard is that it is not a problem. I've got that setup on my .223 Saiga.

Jim

I have a 5.45 with an ultimak rail and a Bushnell clone of an aimpoint. It gets hot up there, real hot. Last time I was at the range the ultimak got hot enough to melt the rail cover on it, and the gas block singed the carpet covering when I set the rifle down on the rest after shooting. The optic worked great, not a single issue. The real deal aimpoint will be fine :super:

I'm pretty much echoing Klassy. I've got a Bushnell Trophy 28mm tube red dot that hasn't suffered in the least from hundreds of rounds of rapid fire on my .223. The only stories I've ever heard of optics failure on an Ultimak were all second-, third-, fourth-hand, and so on. I've yet to encounter anyone that can tell me personally that they've had an optic crap out on them from the heat.

To this day I have never see a red dot cook on a ultimak and I have heat the barrels on the .223 and 7.62x39 to bacon cooking crisp.

The PK-01 on both the .223 and 7.62x39 still there even if they have been abuse from heat to been under water.