Draco, 9.5" vs 11.5" barrel length

Hello, well it's about that time again, I'm thinking of my next purchase and I've decided to go for a Draco. Many reasons obviously, first it's just plain awesome, and like many have done, it would be a worthy SBR project (provided all the paper work is done etc). But I do have a question, and hopefully the more advanced and knowledged members can guide me. Which barrel length for the Draco would most recommend, the shorter 9.5 inch, or the longer 11.5 inch? What are the pros and cons of the two barrel lengths? Any information and guidance in regards to this topic and Draco pistols themselves would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

self_inflicted

Edited by self_inflicted

If I had the permits I'd go with the Draco just for simplicities sake. I suppose if you're going to SBR it anyway, you may as well make it as short as it'll go, tho I don't think I know enough about the subject to pass judgement either way. That would be my logic anyway.

First off, thanks for the replys, secondly sorry for not replying faster. The 9.5" Draco that I was talking about is one that can be found on Atlantic Firearms, since they are a member I hopefully can post a link, http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct418.aspx This particular one is a bit pricey but their are other Draco's out their too. I'm tempted, in all honesty to do what Floyd said and make it as small as it gets, but I also realize that accuracy does matter so the longer 11.5" Draco seems to be the better choice. Now it's just a matter of time for the Draco fund to grow a bit more :dollar::super:

First off, thanks for the replys, secondly sorry for not replying faster. The 9.5" Draco that I was talking about is one that can be found on Atlantic Firearms, since they are a member I hopefully can post a link, http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct418.aspx This particular one is a bit pricey but their are other Draco's out their too. I'm tempted, in all honesty to do what Floyd said and make it as small as it gets, but I also realize that accuracy does matter so the longer 11.5" Draco seems to be the better choice. Now it's just a matter of time for the Draco fund to grow a bit more :dollar::super:

The term "Draco" (and "Champion") is a brand name belonging to the Cugir factory in Romania.

Just because it's an AK pistol doesn't make it a "Draco", any more than every car is a "Ford Mustang" just because it's got a motor and 4 tires.

I say go with the 11.5 I have seen AK pistols smaller but at least with the 11.5 there is still some practicality to the barrel length and accuracy is known to be good. With the 9.5 your obviously not going to lose much fps, but I am sure you will gain muzzle flip and more fireballs dont know if that is a plus or minus for you. In either case get the 11.5 its cheaper and you can always chop down the barrel if your not happy or its not what you were wanting. When I first got my Draco I did think it would be shorter but after shooting it a bunch now it handles extremly well at that length. I have shot shorter AR pistols and they felt cramped and awkward. I think the 11.5 is a nice compromise that will give you some flexibility for change should you desire it in the future.

Well, since the Draco only comes in a 11.5" barrelled version, I guess the choice is obvious. :D

The way these look to perform, even if you don't SBR your Draco and keep it as a slinged "pistol", it's a damned effective weapon inside ~150yds, depending on your aim. ;)

The Atlantic offering is a custom built AK pistol with a 9.5" barrel. As others have stated above, the true "Draco" (brand name) is a 7.62 X 39 AK pistol that comes with an 11.5" barrel and is a new, Romanian Cugir factory-made pistol, imported by C.A.I. and re-fitted in the U.S. with a Tapco G2 FCG. The "Champion" is the .223 version from the same factory. The Champion does not seem to be coming in now and is pretty difficult to find as well as pricey. Seems there is a much larger market for the popular 7.62 version. While shorter barreled versions look neat, the 11.5" barrel still maintains decent ballistics with the 7.62 round. I like the Draco as it is (with slight tweaks for personal preference) but the Draco also seems to be a popular gun to SBR.

Edited by oliverb

No matter what you choose I will say my AK pistol is super fun to shoot EVERYONE that shoots it steps away with a huge grin on their face and wants to shoot more. A odd side effect is that everyone wants to go Rambo with it and just dump mags something about it releases you inner commando :killer: