5.45 muzzle brake?

So tryng to find a muzzle brake for my 5.45, found plenty for about 20 bucks (non tapco, so I think they actualy do something apart from take up space).. but it says they will fit on 7.62.. If the threads are right does this matter? any recommendations would be awesome.. especially if someone has used an affordable muzzle brake that hsa impressed them

what bad have you heard about the Tapco brake? where are all these rumors coming from? btw you have a 5.45 spend the money and get the legit brake it should have from factory. or the arsenal usa brakes those are nice.

The Tapco brake is like you sitting down making your own Fabergé egg.

It might look something like a real Fabergé egg, but wouldn't come close to the actual artistry or value.

The Tapco "AK74 style brakes" are just muzzle devices that look cool on the end of your gun. They also provide some muzzle weight and a US part.

They don't function anything like a real commie AK74 brake.

All of you guys who are happy with your Tapco (or similar ~$20 "AK74 style") brake, rock on! Ignorance is bliss!

The actual military issue AK74 brake works better by orders of magnitude.

what bad have you heard about the Tapco brake? where are all these rumors coming from? btw you have a 5.45 spend the money and get the legit brake it should have from factory. or the arsenal usa brakes those are nice.

It might look something like a real Fabergé egg, but wouldn't come close to the actual artistry or value.

The Tapco "AK74 style brakes" are just muzzle devices that look cool on the end of your gun. They also provide some muzzle weight and a US part.

All of you guys who are happy with your Tapco (or similar ~$20 "AK74 style") brake, rock on! Ignorance is bliss!

im sure from my comments you guys can already tell i own a tapco brake. i am not trying to support it but i know the ak-74 style brakes are nothing like the real ak-74 brakes with the 24 mm threads, i have been considering geting one but i have a 7.62X39 not a 5.45 gun so im not going to bother. when i get my 5.45 then i will spend the money to get a nice brake, maybe the zigzag brake

^^^^^^^^

went for the arsenal US one from kvar for 91 bucks.. Lot more then I was hoping to pay, and frankly I'm not sure the 5.45 really needs a muzzle break, but it looked damn ugly with the original FSB, and the new threaded one looked like it needed something on it.. and If I'm going to add weight and length to my gun, it damn well better be functional.

Edited by volkov

went for the arsenal US one from kvar for 91 bucks.. Lot more then I was hoping to pay, and frankly I'm not sure the 5.45 really needs a muzzle break, but it looked damn ugly with the original FSB, and the new threaded one looked like it needed something on it.. and If I'm going to add weight and length to my gun, it damn well better be functional.

It works pretty well, actually.

OK, I'm not the smartest fish in the sea. That said, I had one of the DPH clip on compensator's from the prototype test group. I put it on my .223 Saiga with the thought that's where it would go and had plans to test it. Before I had a chance to shoot it other forum members had already experienced catastrophic failures (blowing them off the end) so I pulled it and there it sat. Fast forward:

Converted the 5.45x39 Saiga and felt it needed a comp (all the others do) so out the faulty DPH came and I looked it over thinking that (not the smartest, remember) the 5.45x39 is smaller than the 7.62x39 (where all the failures occurred) and I also thought the holes were very small (hell I didn't really need a brake for this cartridge). So I drilled out the two top holes in an effort to reduce the pressure load on the comp (I also thought the fire show would be cool) (fish remember) Well, I added a couple more for good luck and painted, baked and installed.

see photos:

It was cool! and worked fine, pretty good blast upward! I shot Silver Bear and did the bullet testing with it. I'm a frosted frosty because I forgot my factory mag at home and had to feed the rounds one at a time. No way to properly test a compensator. I will most likely pull this as if felt a little lose after 20 rounds. But, you can't say I didn't try it and yes it's fun to shoot. I'll go back to the sea now.

Frosty

post-11604-12703077834807_thumb.jpg

post-11604-12703078038706_thumb.jpg

post-11604-12703078383023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fluid Power
  • 3 weeks later...

how can you tell the difference between the real functional brakes vs the fake ones?

The fake ones thread onto 14x1mm threads the real ones thread onto 24x1.5mm threads

Didn't you say in the other thread that you had threaded 5.45 and x39 barrels for 14x1mm?

how can you tell the difference between the real functional brakes vs the fake ones?

The fake ones thread onto 14x1mm threads the real ones thread onto 24x1.5mm threads

Technical point>>> Polish 5.45mm Tantal is 14x1 LH. To my knowledge, only King Armory makes an aftermarket brake for them.

Didn't you say in the other thread that you had threaded 5.45 and x39 barrels for 14x1mm?

Yeah, that's exactly how I know the TAPCO 74 style brakes are junk I have one soldered onto my 5.45 :lolol::(

My 7.62 has a slant brake soldered on it, no idea if it works or not as the gap between when I shot it without brake and with brake was several months. Either way that one was dirt cheap and looks cool on there so I'm happy with it.

There are useful 14x1 flash hiders, and AR threads are good too as you can use quality AR style brakes/hiders. However due to my laws I can only have permanently attached brakes.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

So tryng to find a muzzle brake for my 5.45, found plenty for about 20 bucks (non tapco, so I think they actualy do something apart from take up space).. but it says they will fit on 7.62.. If the threads are right does this matter? any recommendations would be awesome.. especially if someone has used an affordable muzzle brake that hsa impressed them

Forum member is selling a whole bunch of Bulgarian AK74 brakes in the classified section.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=53145

Edited by NinerRider

I've got this new system where I remove the barrel shroud all the way back as far as I can, then thread the barrel 14xLH all all the way back to the fsb too.

I order a bugly 74 zig zag brake and a 14xLH adapter (~$60 shipped from apex).

Then I drill out a hole to fit one of the pins I had to remove for the trigger conversion with a small spring behind it into the hole I made in the fsb (making my own muzzle device retaining pin). Then I install the adapter and put jb wield on the back part of the adapter to lock the threads and create a nice seal to the fsb. Now I have a functional AK74 fsb that I can remove and clean just like a regular ak74. The barrel sticks out of the front of the adapter maybe an 1/8", I sealed up the front of the barrel to the adapter with jb wield also to keep the corrosive salts out of my adapter threads.