I posted this in the business section - but thought it was worth sharing with the rest of the community too...

Last Wednesday, like many other days - my wife dropped by the post office to drop off guns shipping to out of state clients. However, this day she elected to go to the University post office instead of the Airport post office where we are used to a friendly staff and great service.

Well a few days pass and I start to get calls an emails from my customers. Their tracking numbers aren't showing up in the system. So - of course we call the P.O. and file a report, call the customers and start making arrangements to juggle our production, and delivery schedules so that we can replace the lost custom guns as quickly as possible.

Then my wife gets a hunch.... She goes down to the post office and corners the clerk who accepted the shipments. At first he makes out like he doesn't know what is going on but Chris being a marine officers daughter bulldogs him into action making enough of a ruckus that his supervisors and coworkers are taking notice. "Well" he says' "let me go check".... so a minute or two later he comes walking out with the guns....

They didn't show up in tracking because this little mary moon, birkenstock wearing weasel never put them into the system. He had simply elected to let them sit there for a WEEK (despite my business name and telephone number being on the shipping label), because they were firearms and wasn't sure we had followed all the proper procedures for labeling them (we had), and .... golly gee, the guns could have been stolen, or ended up in the wrong hands..... So once he had taken them - he had simply placed them in Post Office limbo without scanning them, or entering them in to the system.

By this time Chris is nearly livid, and in the clerks presence calls me up and says " I've got the guns, and guess what this little fucking turd did?"

So, long story short Chris bids a fond "farewell" to the clerk, and returns to the workshop where we check the packages labeling and contents.

Everything is fine and right where it should be, so I take the packages down to the AIRPORT post office, and the staff who are used to seeing me down there, cheerfully greet me, take the packages and tell me they'll be going out at 4:30.

The moral of the story... If you are at the post office, the hair on the back of your neck begins to prickle, and you believe the person serving may be a gun hating left wing liberal douchebag prick, find another clerk, or another post office, but whatever you do, don't hand your customers gun over to THEM, you may never see it again!

EOM

Mike

Another fine fine Governmental agency at work. Next stop health care enforcement by the IRS. Remember the Government knows whats best for YOU. Consider filing a complaint with the Postmaster General.

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

mm.. I'd give him a second chance.. and by second chance, I mean I'd put GPS in the damn gun, record everything, and then get him for stealing it. few years in prison and maybe he'll do his job right next time. Douchebags playing with fire

mm.. I'd give him a second chance.. and by second chance, I mean I'd put GPS in the damn gun, record everything, and then get him for stealing it. few years in prison and maybe he'll do his job right next time. Douchebags playing with fire

You know it takes all kinds - and as far as I'm concerned the guy has every right to whatever personal or political views he may have - BUT, when you serve the public - you have to leave it at the curb and do your job.

And - yes I WAS furious. However, I am so pleased that Chris was able to recover the guns for my clients, it's hard to stay mad. I honestly don't know what this jerk had intended to do or not to do with the firearms, but the fact that he was able to keep them at the post office, and out of the system for a WEEK just amazes me.

If I weren't as busy as I am, I would be tempted to spend the time and energy to help the Postmaster nail this worthless prick to the wall; but, you can bet I'll never entrust anyone in that particular P.O. to get near a customers gun, and I'll make damn sure that every FFL in the area knows about him, and that P.O. branch as well.

An ounce of prevention...

WS

You know it takes all kinds - and as far as I'm concerned the guy has every right to whatever personal or political views he may have - BUT, when you serve the public - you have to leave it at the curb and do your job.

And - yes I WAS furious. However, I am so pleased that Chris was able to recover the guns for my clients, it's hard to stay mad. I honestly don't know what this jerk had intended to do or not to do with the firearms, but the fact that he was able to keep them at the post office, and out of the system for a WEEK just amazes me.

If I weren't as busy as I am, I would be tempted to spend the time and energy to help the Postmaster nail this worthless prick to the wall; but, you can bet I'll never entrust anyone in that particular P.O. to get near a customers gun, and I'll make damn sure that every FFL in the area knows about him, and that P.O. branch as well.

WS

Waffen,

Lodge a complaint with the local postmaster requesting an inquiry into possible theft of your firearms from that branch (read FELONY) by that particular employee. U.S. Postmasters are akin to federal police in the Postal system and must investigate the incident knowing that a U.S. Postmaster Inspector General could also be checking on the incident as well behind him/ her. That Post Office branch Postmaster's job could possibly hang in the balance if he/ she attempts to stifle the investigation or quietly sweep in under the proverbial rug to avoid scrutiny.

I sent a Christmas present to my brother a few years ago. The woman behind the counter at the post office was being a bitch and I told her she should be nicer to her customers. The package never arrived. From then on I never use the USPS if I don't have to and I hope their competitors put them out of business.

WS

Waffen,

Lodge a complaint with the local postmaster requesting an inquiry into possible theft of your firearms from that branch (read FELONY) by that particular employee. U.S. Postmasters are akin to federal police in the Postal system and must investigate the incident knowing that a U.S. Postmaster Inspector General could also be checking on the incident as well behind him/ her. That Post Office branch Postmaster's job could possibly hang in the balance if he/ she attempts to stifle the investigation or quietly sweep in under the proverbial rug to avoid scrutiny.

I'll keep that in mind;)

WS

yeah, my FFL actually had a case of gun not showing up (or was it the box showed up without gun.. I dunno) either way the post office guy got 5 years. I think he actually stole it for his own use... but stealing for your own use, stealing to be a douchebag.. it's still stealing.. probably the same penalty.

coursem my FFL guy might just be rambling, who knows.

Thanks for the input guys. A complaint WAS filed with the USPS on Monday. However, from that point of view Chris cut short any possible monkey business on behalf of the postal employee when she physically went in and got the packages back. You can't steal something, or continue the process of stealing something which has already been recovered, and is now irretrievably beyond your possession and control.

Is is possible the employee planned to keep the packages until he could get them out, however it is also possible he is (per Chris's impression) simply a gun hating douchebag who was abusing what little power he has to foul up the delivery process, or just clueless and incompetent.

Were I in the business of investigating these folks, I would arrange another chance for him to do what he did and attempt to find out exactly what his agenda is. However, I am just a citizen and business owner - and right now I feel VERY lucky that Chris was able to recover the shipments before my clients guns disappeared permanently.

In retrospect, I did think the clerks comment about the firearms possibly falling into the wrong hands was accurate. Clearly, they had. It's also funny that after all the posturing on the clerks behalf about what could have happened with the firearms, the clerk gave the packages back to Chris without so much as asking for identification.

Go figure...