New Saiga / AK Side Folding Stock Kit

Some thoughts on this new stock....first of all, it is very light, which is a good thing, of course. The stock and mount combined weigh in at exactly one pound.

Stock does mount to your shoulder with a nice feel to it. It locks open nice and tightly, zero movement in the mechanism.

Although the stock mounting adapter only has one screw in it, it is metal, so it is possible to tap it from the side for additional strength for mounting, if desired.

My only gripe with this stock, and its a pretty mute issue in just about every application - The locking mechanism for the open position is glass filled polymer, and as such, I wouldnt expect it to hold up to a good beating on someone's head or a door or other such nonsense if it were used on a duty use weapon. It will do fine if you use the butt of the weapon, but if you yank on it hard tword the closed position, I am sure with a significant amount of force (dont know the breaking point's amount of pressure, did not acquire a test sample to destroy, just to review) that it could be made to fail. Like I said though, its fairly irrelevant of an issue, and Im SURE it would take quite a whallop to cause it to fail.

The folding mechanism itself is extremely tight, and I would expect it to not unfold under recoil. depending on how long I have this demo stock, I may install it on one of the FA's with the ace block welded into it, and see if it will unfold under recoil of a ten round mag full of 3" buckshot. Not sure when the next FA range day is, so Im not sure if I can make that happen in a timely manner.

I do like the fact that the stock bolts up to the block with FOUR screws. that wont be coming off the block any time soon.

All told, and all said and done, for the stock Id rate it about 98%, and the block, only because of one screw holding it (most blocks only have one screw, mind you, and this applies to all the other blocks as well) the block Id rate 85% ONLY because of that. There isnt a heck of a lot you can do to avoid this, however, so rating the block at 85% because of that isnt really even fair.

Great part, guys. Id buy one if I had the money to spend, and the gun to install it on in a heartbeat.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice, have you tried it with other AKs besides the Saiga?

Looks good......though I also think it folds the wrong way. I'd definitely consider it if it folded to the left.

Shooting any shotgun or rifle with the stock folded should not be done if accuracy is important to you period. It is also very dangerous in self-defense to innocent people in the area. Sure it looks c

Posted Images

Makc,

I recieved notice of my items shipping today and they are going to the correct address. I appreciate the good CS.

AND I'M VERY EXCITED!!! this stock looks like it is everything I have been wanting in a stock. I want to get the thin grind-to-fit Limbsaver for it. Good idea or bad?

Am I the only one who thinks it folds to the wrong side?

I really like the looks of it but......I thought there was a reason ak100 type stocks fold to the left?

Just my $.02

KKAHN

I would assume the 100 stock goes to the left as to not impede manipulation of the charging handle or safety lever.

I recieved my stock and installed it. I took my S12 to the range and the stock is perfect. The recoil pad absorbs recoil well. I was thinking of getting a Limbsazer pad for it, but the pad that came with it is very soft and feels like a gel shoe insert. It locks up rock solid and does not unlock under heavy recoil. I fired 200 rounds with no issues. I didn't Loctite any of the screws because I wanted to see if they would come loose. They are still tight. I am well pleased with my purchase. Thank you Makc!

I really like the looks of it but......I thought there was a reason ak100 type stocks fold to the left?

Just my $.02

KKAHN

Folding to the right is perfect that keeps it out of the way of the optic side rail.

Just my $.02

KKAHN

Folding to the right is perfect that keeps it out of the way of the optic side rail.

Looks Great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

looks like something I was just looking for, but yes, how is access to the trigger while folded, and what would the OAL length be while folded on a 7.62 with a stock 16" barrel?

just thinking of the Cali laws about folded length...

I also think a left-folder would be a nice option for us not using the optics rail...

looks like something I was just looking for, but yes, how is access to the trigger while folded, and what would the OAL length be while folded on a 7.62 with a stock 16" barrel?

just thinking of the Cali laws about folded length...

I also think a left-folder would be a nice option for us not using the optics rail...

Getting to the trigger is not an issue unless you have huge or freakishly fat fingers.

• 7 months later...

Hello everybody,Im new to the folding stock thing and i just picked up a red jacket conversion sold through atlantic and i had a quick question.When they did the conversion on my rifle they put rivots in the old FCG holes.Will this internal stock adapter fit without hitting them?

The block goes in well behind the old fcg holes. Unless there is a rivet in the very rear hole where the bottom tang was mounted there shouldn't be a problem. I am very impressed with the value of this folder. The recoil pad is the same one that came with my ACE folder.

Edited by humanguerrilla

Hello everybody,Im new to the folding stock thing and i just picked up a red jacket conversion sold through atlantic and i had a quick question.When they did the conversion on my rifle they put rivots in the old FCG holes.Will this internal stock adapter fit without hitting them?

The block goes in well behind the old fcg holes. Unless there is a rivet in the very rear hole where the bottom tang was mounted there shouldn't be a problem. I am very impressed with the value of this folder. The recoil pad is the same one that came with my ACE folder.

Thanks for the info i really appreciate it.I didn't want to have to send it off to get those rivets out.Looks like this will be my new stock.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes its real old lol but I'll throw my .02 in. I really like this stock and I'd probably buy one for a future S12 build but why on earth is it a right side folder!? If it folded to the left I would already own one...

Looks good......though I also think it folds the wrong way. I'd definitely consider it if it folded to the left.
I agree, I don't understand the reason why it folds to the side where all controls are.

Yes its real old lol but I'll throw my .02 in. I really like this stock and I'd probably buy one for a future S12 build but why on earth is it a right side folder!? If it folded to the left I would already own one...

I agree, I don't understand the reason why it folds to the side where all controls are.

Scope side rail would interfere with it closing snug against the receiver.

It looks like getting to the trigger in the folded position would be a bit difficult. Do you have any plans to make a left side folder?

Shooting any shotgun or rifle with the stock folded should not be done if accuracy is important to you period. It is also very dangerous in self-defense to innocent people in the area. Sure it looks cool in the movies but it isn't practical.

I prefer right sided folders personally because:

1. There's a side rail on the left side. It's included in the price so I thought why not try using it like it was designed.

2. It is fast and easy to take 1 to 2 seconds to opening a good right side folder quickly.

3. Many world Armies use them for their soldiers so that's a good test of a piece of equipment (IMO).

If you like a left sided folder I am not saying you're wrong, both are good depending on the rifle, your situation, and what you personally like. Obviously I like the right side folder for my needs.

Once more I think people should stop shooting rifles and shotguns with pistol grips or folded stocks for safety sake. Innocent bystanders and your dental work could be saved.

post-45752-0-02658700-1364577926_thumb.jpg

post-45752-0-40205500-1364578181_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Can you operate the safety with the stock closed?

I think when the right sided folder was designed the idea was the safety was already on and the stock blocking the controls on the right side of the gun was a good safety measure. Shooting the rifle with a folded stock was not the best situation.

Below: very popular Russian style right side folders.

post-45752-0-69189100-1364579396_thumb.jpg

post-45752-0-08088300-1364579614_thumb.jpg

Edited by sweetcostarica

Since this zombie came back to life, I'll head back to the meat of the topic...

That stock seems to have the exact same hinge and lock as the folding AGP I put on my 10/22.... Speaking in that context, I'm not impressed. It came off to me as "junky" and I have to push the button to lock it without feeling as if I'm going to break the stock. For $140, I expected way more.

Not a direct comparison of their S12 stock, but I wouldn't buy one based on my experience with my 22 stock. In fact, as soon as some other folders for the takedown model come out I plan to swap it out and sell it off... and I never sell anything gun related.

2c.gif

edit: My next folder for the 22 will be a LEFT folder. I won't buy another right folder for any gun with a right side charging handle and eject port. I'm a big boy and can handle pistol grip 12ga slugs w/o problems. I just wouldn't want to do it all day.

Edited by Maxwelhse