14 members have voted

1. 1. Should heavily-modified foreign parts be considered US made?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Yes, but ATF won't think so.
    • Define "heavily modified."

A thought popped into my mind while reading another post, but I didn't want to hijack someone's thread, so I am asking here. Do you think the magazine BODY of a frankenmag should be considered a US made part? What about other heavily modified parts of foreign origin? Here is my logic:

A piece of wood, no matter of what origin, when shaped in the US, can become a US made stock. The thinking here is that the raw materials used are not important, the nature and location fo the labor is.

The counterpoint is that a Romanian stock does not become a US part just because an American refinishes it.

The distinction I make is whether there is a substantive change in the design or function of a part as opposed to a purely aesthetic change.

I would argue that if there is such a change, the part/parts can be considered American made. This is why I specified the magazine body rather than other parts; most Frankenmags do not involve substantively modified followers or baseplates. The question is whether the fact that a "new" part is derived from or comprised of material that had already been made into a functional part outside of the US precludes that material from being used--even in a modified form--to make a US part.

What do you think?

Did you even read my post? The point is whether heavy modification of an object (in this case, a gun part) constitutes remaking that object. If I take three Russian mags and cut, weld, glue and tape them into a single, functioning magazine, shouldn't the body be considered a US part? The concept applies to a lot of other things. I'm not looking for an ATF opinion here, but I would like to know at what point other forumites think a part is remanufactured.

Edited by stiletto raggio

no.

If you melted it down fine, but your just combining 3 russian parts into a single russian part. Your not using raw materials, your using pre assembled parts to create a new object. Sort of like cutting up three russian stocks and glueing them together wouldn't make it an american stock.

Edited by volkov

Magazine parts are still magazine parts.

Sorta. If you modify it to the point that it can no longer be used in the intended weapon (for instance, the mods required to make an M-14 mag work in a .308 Saiga), the ATF will also consider that to be manufacturing a new part.

Sorta. If you modify it to the point that it can no longer be used in the intended weapon (for instance, the mods required to make an M-14 mag work in a .308 Saiga), the ATF will also consider that to be manufacturing a new part.

No sir.

For the process of "manufacturing a US made part", the revenuers have decreed that the purpose must change. You can't take a Cetme magazine and adapt it to a Saiga as a US made magazine - it's still a magazine.

You can take a Romanian butt stock, and cut pistol grips out of it, and you've manufactured US pistol grips, as they are no longer a "butt stock"

In your particular example, it doesn't matter, as the M14 magazine is available with US origins.

No sir.

For the process of "manufacturing a US made part", the revenuers have decreed that the purpose must change. You can't take a Cetme magazine and adapt it to a Saiga as a US made magazine - it's still a magazine.

You can take a Romanian butt stock, and cut pistol grips out of it, and you've manufactured US pistol grips, as they are no longer a "butt stock"

In your particular example, it doesn't matter, as the M14 magazine is available with US origins.

Interesting... That doesn't jibe with some of what I've read, but hey, the Internet. I'm wondering if what I read was related to ban-era magazine issues, and not 922r.

There's a great source for answers to ATF questions, write the ATF. Though I have a suspicion that they will say exactly what nalioth said.

I've posted a letter here somewhere that says what I said . . .

"For it to count as "US made", the original part has to change function" - signed: the revenuers.

• 4 weeks later...

Can we disable this poll?

It's sending a bad message to the public (something like: public opinion > the law)

I'd hate for someone to point to this as "the authority" to use "heavily-modified foreign parts" as 922r parts.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

No sir.

Exactly. It must change purpose. Cut up a barrel and make muzzle breaks = OK. But once it is a named part it is always a named part if it performs that function.