Will a gi web sling attach to the saiga rifle or does one need to purchase some kind of swivel stud attachment thingy? I want to purchase one of these slings for use with my rifle at an appleseed shoot. My rifle has the original handguard and the buttstock I purchased from dinzag - the warsaw length one.

Also, does this style sling come in a black or grey? I would prefer a like color to match up with the rifle over the green/od ones.

Thanks for any guidance on this shooting sling stuff!

I'm no expert on available slings, but many of the gun supply and mil surp online stores list a variety. I got a couple different ones at my local military surplus store. The Saiga stock sling attachments only take certain size/thickness snaps or straps, so watch for that. The function is the important part - have you any experience using a sling offhand? That is the part that counts, as it is a useful way to steady your sight picture.

Will a gi web sling attach to the saiga rifle or does one need to purchase some kind of swivel stud attachment thingy? I want to purchase one of these slings for use with my rifle at an appleseed shoot. My rifle has the original handguard and the buttstock I purchased from dinzag - the warsaw length one.

Also, does this style sling come in a black or grey? I would prefer a like color to match up with the rifle over the green/od ones.

Thanks for any guidance on this shooting sling stuff!

I went to Appleseed with my Ruger 10 22, but plan on going back with my AK. I will use a common AK sling, which is not amenable to the loop sling; I'll use the hasty sling for everything - which, if you think about it, is more realistic anyhow. Who would ever use a loop sling in a real (not competitive) shooting situation? It would take too much time. Anyhow, I found a couple of weeks ago that it worked fine for me at the range, shooting at the Appleseed AQT targets in the standing, sitting, and prone positions.

I just got one of those GI slings from Midway for an upcoming Appleseed. I can check when I get home to see if it will fit on my AK without modifications.

Since buying this sling I've also decided to make a few of my own since I need several more. I found a great tutorial on the Beretta Forum that inspired me to order some supplies and give it a try. He lists a vendor for nylon webbing. The GI sling I bought is actually cotton webbing which I was able to find online at Jontay Distributors.

The sling I bought for Appleseed is the CJ Weapons AR-15 cotton web sling from Midway. It was recommended to me by a friend who attended an Appleseed event. In order for it to work with a Saiga or other AK you'd need 1.25" swivels front and back. The sling has a simple loop on one end and a 1.25" hook on the other. In order to configure it for Appleseed the 1.25" hook would need to attach to the handguard. Rather than buy extra bits to modify the sling you're probably better off getting the K-Var sling mentioned above or a surplus AK sling.

I really like the SKS slings. They're green cloth slings with leather loops, they fit the standard Saiga sling loops as well as the TAPCO stock loops, and the loops on AK hand guard retainers. Really cheap too, like $6.

When I had one of those, I had to trim the leather tab slightly to fit the Dinzag handguard retainer. They are good slings, although, even more so than the sling I recommended above, they will prevent you from easily using it as a loop sling. (Not a big deal in my mind).

I have a sling which is like the 'silent sling' that you are talking about, only it has a leather tab on one end, like the Chinese surplus slings. I'm not using it, and would be willing to part with it, if you're interested. Its OD green, BTW.

I took my Saiga and discovered that an Uncle Mikes sling stud is the same thread for the fore end. You do have to shorten the threaded portion some though.

I loc tited it in place and put one of the UM studs on the back and now use 1 1/4" swivels

Works good for me.

Kid

Thanks for all the replies & advice everyone. I'm going to measure the width of the swivels(?) that are on the rifle already & head off to one of the shops & see what my local options are.

Again thanks a lot everyone - this forum is GREAT. The sling is my last bit for my restoration project to be complete. Should have some more newbie 1st conversion pictures up soon ! :)