My Gun has 4 ports? Should I still be okay??

I have a 4 port gun as well. It's a 19" in factory configuration. On break in day I started with maybe 20 rounds buckshot on setting 1, went to 100 rds of birdshot on setting 2. The second time I went to the range to shoot it, it cycled everything from 3" turkey loads to bulk pack birdshot on setting 1. Yours should be fine and probably cycle everything on setting 1.

I have a 4 port gun too. I think mine had the front port covered by the gas block hole, but CGW opened that up, so now it looks like a D instead of a hole.

My advice (whether you have a 3 port OR 4 port gun) is to start with setting 1 and see if that will cycle the round, then bump it up to 2 if you have to. I'd definitely recommend Gunfixer's gas plug though. It's hand adjustable and gives you more fine tuning. I think MD Arms is going to be making their own gas plug too, but I don't know if that's going to be available soon or not.

Good luck

Corbin

*EDIT* Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Edited by Corbin

I read through the manual and decided to start mine out on setting #2 for anything in a 2 3/4" shell and #1 for 3". Since it mentioned to use setting #2 for 70mm shells and #1 for 76mm... best I can remember. However, I also have a 4 port gun, and while I shot mostly birdshot.. I think some of the buck I put through it beat it up a little. I have an imprint on my rear trunnion from the carrier. No damage or anything, but I got one of Gunfixer's plugs to tame some of the overgassing, and it seems to run a little better.

I read through the manual and decided to start mine out on setting #2 for anything in a 2 3/4" shell and #1 for 3". Since it mentioned to use setting #2 for 70mm shells and #1 for 76mm... best I can remember. However, I also have a 4 port gun, and while I shot mostly birdshot.. I think some of the buck I put through it beat it up a little. I have an imprint on my rear trunnion from the carrier. No damage or anything, but I got one of Gunfixer's plugs to tame some of the overgassing, and it seems to run a little better.

With a 4 port gun, it seems like everything cycles on setting 1. After an extremely short break in period I haven't changed gas settings at all.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

With a 4 port gun, it seems like everything cycles on setting 1. After an extremely short break in period I haven't changed gas settings at all.

It was the same case with my Saiga 12 which is also a factory 4-port gun (mine was made in 2008 and is a 19" barreled IZ-109 variant). I moved the trigger group forward and installed a pistol grip and regular AK type buttstock on it, but I didn't do any mods to it to improve its cycling ability because there just wasn't any need to. After I had broken it in a bit by shooting a couple hundred rounds of various ammo types through it, it then cycled everything (including low base 2-3/4" ammo) with no problem with the factory gas plug set to 1. My Saiga 12 was definitely overgassed as well though, but this was only an issue when shooting high-base or magnum shells, and it was an issue I easily remedied by just getting a Gunfixr gas plug and using its -1 setting when shooting high-base & magnum ammo.

Edited by Frogfoot

I've got 2 19" with 4 ports. Both won't cycle low brass unless they are on #2. OP shoot yours with it a setting 1 and see if it will cycle first before changing to #2. If it cycles on setting #1 then you could be getting the action hitting from the low brass on #2.

• 3 weeks later...

try not to think of it as over gassed, it is properly gassed, and you have to make sure to "choke" it correctly.......dont worry bout the new plug just leave that bitch on 1 if it likes it there....thats what i did with mine

Awesome thanks a lot I'll do that!

4 port guns have .073 ports

3 port .093

It's basically the same amount of gas with smaller ports which means less fouling :super:

Well someone may want to tell Ivan at the factory, I have two S12s and they both were/are three port guns with .070" from the factory. .070" is plenty of gas to cycle either a three or four port gun as long as the gun hand cycles smoothly. I would address any cycling issues by grinding and smoothing internals and leave enlarging the gas ports as a last resort. Just my two cents but I wish I had not enlarged the ports on my first gun to .093", the gun will literally eat Federal bulk 7 1/2 on setting -1 on the gunfixers plug. That said I have a great sbs project gun that won't need to have the gas block moved.