FSB install write-up

I'm going to be ordering my 5.45 on Monday and I plan on converting the front half of the rifle (I live in cali, easier to leave the sporter stock on)

So I understand how to remove the old FSB, but how do you install a new one? Ive read around the forum and the only response Ive read was "with a BFH". Can anyone give me a little more detail?

put it on, drill out the holes with appropraite drill size.. insert pins.. Pins can be made from dremeled off drill bits..

Or you can go the route I went that is a TERRIBLE idea that works great.. Drilled it out and filled the pinholes with JB weld.. (I got pissed off because I couldn't get the pins snug, or I couldn't get them to fit, managed to hit myself in the nuts with the buttstock, and I was drunk and pulled a tharifixedit). Maybe one day I'll drill it out and put some pins in, but for now I just don't care..

I mean, fucker was pressed on there hard in the first place, and if I want to drill it out it's still easier then taking it off in the first place was.. but it's pretty much sacrilege. If I had any intent to sell it I'd fix it, but for now I'm too lazy.

Edited by volkov

I just did my 762X39. Replaced the factory piece with a bulgarian FSB. Pretty much slide it over the barrel, put a block of wood over the end and beat it with a big fucking hammer til it was flush with the barrel. The real PIA is getting it straight cause that thing is really on there.

I'm going to be ordering my 5.45 on Monday and I plan on converting the front half of the rifle (I live in cali, easier to leave the sporter stock on)

So I understand how to remove the old FSB, but how do you install a new one? Ive read around the forum and the only response Ive read was "with a BFH". Can anyone give me a little more detail?

put it on, drill out the holes with appropraite drill size.. insert pins.. Pins can be made from dremeled off drill bits..

Or you can go the route I went that is a TERRIBLE idea that works great.. Drilled it out and filled the pinholes with JB weld.. (I got pissed off because I couldn't get the pins snug, or I couldn't get them to fit, managed to hit myself in the nuts with the buttstock, and I was drunk and pulled a tharifixedit). Maybe one day I'll drill it out and put some pins in, but for now I just don't care..

I mean, fucker was pressed on there hard in the first place, and if I want to drill it out it's still easier then taking it off in the first place was.. but it's pretty much sacrilege. If I had any intent to sell it I'd fix it, but for now I'm too lazy.

You aren't kidding. I put one on my 7.62 last night and kicked my ass. I forgot to make indentions and was completely pissed after I got it on and noticed it. So this morning, I plugged one hole at a time then filled them with Silver Solder. WTH, should work.

I just did my 762X39. Replaced the factory piece with a bulgarian FSB. Pretty much slide it over the barrel, put a block of wood over the end and beat it with a big fucking hammer til it was flush with the barrel. The real PIA is getting it straight cause that thing is really on there.

I did the same last night. EVEN without the pins, can't see this thing budging. Beat the living snot out of it with a hammer to get it all the way on. It is straight though, lucked out on that. Don't know if I will do this again or not!

wierd, the bulgy ak-74 FSB slipped right on my 5.45 no problems, no lube either, just popped the old one off and on it went, snug, but easy to adjust..

and as for filling the holes.. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who went ghetto.. I mean, it sure as hell is easier to drill out whatever filler you used then to dremel off the damned thing to begin with, and at least now you have threads

Hope my 545 goes like that. The 762 was a ball buster. Don't think I really even need pins to hold that one.

wierd, the bulgy ak-74 FSB slipped right on my 5.45 no problems, no lube either, just popped the old one off and on it went, snug, but easy to adjust..

and as for filling the holes.. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who went ghetto.. I mean, it sure as hell is easier to drill out whatever filler you used then to dremel off the damned thing to begin with, and at least now you have threads