Painting/coating a stock?

I have an od green Magpul stock on one of my S-12s. I want to paint it black. Will common spray paint adhere adequately to it and wear reasonably well? If so, should I clean the stock with anything first (it is clean, but do I need to get any surface oil off of it) and what should I use to prep the stock?

Thanks,

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

I have an od green Magpul stock on one of my S-12s. I want to paint it black. Will common spray paint adhere adequately to it and wear reasonably well? If so, should I clean the stock with anything first (it is clean, but do I need to get any surface oil off of it) and what should I use to prep the stock?

Thanks,

WJ

If you use regular spray paint, cleaning solvent will remove the paint, unless you are very careful. I sprayed my forend with Black Duplicolor hi temp paint, looks nice but I am sure if I get solvent on it its going to peel. Just make sure you use scotchbrite and rub the surface, then wash it with mild soapy water, dry thoroughly and you are ready to spray.

I am working on this stock at the moment. I will be spraying it with Duracoat once I am finished.

looks like you used the sporter stock for that project, that looks really good, how did you fill in the holes where you removed the plastic?

post-22569-12705233624366_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12705233735444_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12705233958653_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12705234403483_thumb.jpg