Safety switch difficult to move

Hi guys,

I just got my S12 and noticed that it's really hard to move the safety from safe to fire. I have to really put some pressure on and it kind of lift it to get it going. it seems to get stuck on the body's edge if you know what I mean.

Is there a fix or adjustment for this?

On my .308 and s-12 I've taken a tape-wrapped screwdriver and put pressure towards the outboard side of the weapon to decrease the pressure the safety places against the receiver. Technically it is "bent" but it should be to the amount that it relieves pressure and not something that you can notice by looking at it.

You can also work the safety back and forth as seanie suggested but it will take longer.

Can you elaborate on how you bent it and whether it was in place or removed at the time.

I tried this in place and found that stretching it quite a bit did not work and it returned to zero again.

I felt like if I bent it more, I'd break something. :unsure:

Can you elaborate on how you bent it and whether it was in place or removed at the time.

I tried this in place and found that stretching it quite a bit did not work and it returned to zero again.

I felt like if I bent it more, I'd break something. :unsure:

It was in place (attached to the receiver) at the time. I wrapped some electrical tape at the end of a flat head screwdriver to keep it from scratching the receiver. I wedged the screwdriver between the safety and the receiver almost at the very end of the safety (starting point). I actually twisted the screwdriver from a flat-against-the-receiver position to edge-against-the-receiver to put pressure on the safety lever. I did it once and checked function each time. If I needed more leverage, I moved the screwdriver a little closer to the attachment before trying again.

This process worked for both my weapons but if your safety requires more pressure than that it may be a good idea to remove it first.

Keep in mind that the end result was a safety that was easier in relative terms to manipulate. It still requires a good amount of pressure to work it but that's where I wanted it. I generally use my thumb to disengage the safety and my index thru ring finger to engage it (on my left hand) so I have a lot of leverage against it. I can use my right index finger to work it but it still requires some effort.

take the top cover off, unload and everything of course, put it in safe without going too far grab what you can and bend it out away from the gun(be gentle) and see what happens and play by ear, continue until saftey works like you want it, if it gets too loose it gets too easy to move......

Easier way to bend it is to lift it over the stop as if you were putting it on to fire, but kept going. when it is ~90 degrees to the line of bore, sit on the stock and lift up on it just a little harder than you are comfortable with and it will smooth up a lot without scuffing up your receiver. It's what it took for mine. My first one was so stiff it was almost a two hand job to change positions. Now it stays put but I can do it easily with my index finger. No screwdriver needed.