Bullet Guide and J.B. Weld!!

OK so my next question is this, if my barrel is 16.3 inches and say my muzzlebreak is 2 inches can I cut 2 inches from the barrel and then add the break? I am sure my numbers are not exact I am just wondering if the muzzle break would be factored in to the length of the barrel as far as keeping the barrel length non class 3 or is the muzzlebreak not figured in to the actual legal length of the barrel?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys check out this sweet new tactical home defense shotgun. It has the all new, top of the line, military grade D.U.C.T. mounting system which attaches everything from bayonets, to flashlights, t

how long has your BG been JB'd on, Semper?   Im thinking about JB'ing my BG on too... all the numbers i have seen regarding its performance seem to put it well within the operational tolerances for

Posted Images

OK so my next question is this, if my barrel is 16.3 inches and say my muzzlebreak is 2 inches can I cut 2 inches from the barrel and then add the break? I am sure my numbers are not exact I am just wondering if the muzzle break would be factored in to the length of the barrel as far as keeping the barrel length non class 3 or is the muzzlebreak not figured in to the actual legal length of the barrel?

Legally you can't posses a short barrel rifle in the process. Its not a do it your self thing. Once a licensed gunsmith permanently attaches the brake it can't come off unless something else is permanently attached or you can legally get a tax stamp and then it don't matter how short or whether the brake is permanent.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is past it a bit, but it got me worryng about bullet guides (with and without screws).. If the screw backs out and the guide comes up.. won't the gun just jam? Couple of people here seemed to think a bullet guide coming loose was a recipe for imminent doom.. Just wondering since yall have me worried everytime I shoot now.

I know this thread is past it a bit, but it got me worryng about bullet guides (with and without screws).. If the screw backs out and the guide comes up.. won't the gun just jam? Couple of people here seemed to think a bullet guide coming loose was a recipe for imminent doom.. Just wondering since yall have me worried everytime I shoot now.

Most likely is that it will just jam.

However the head of the screw could snap off. Then you have to try to remove the screw.

It could snap off flush with the receiver and need to be drilled out.

Rivet - It is the only way to be sure.

I JB welded the screw in instead of locktite it's never coming out .

Now this man has a future in politics )

There are so many other things so much more likely to go wrong that its just not funny. Over charged rounds, incorrectly inserted primers(Look as you load mags), barrel obstructions, Bill Cheney shooting you first, etc.

Edited by Rhodes1968

There are so many other things so much more likely to go wrong that its just not funny. Over charged rounds, incorrectly inserted primers(Look as you load mags), barrel obstructions, Bill Cheney shooting you first, etc.

My thoughts exactly. I'm getting ready to do my guide, and I think i'm gonna use a tad bit of jb weld on the guide to put it in the right spot. Then I'll drill and tap with the bullet guide as a "guide." I'll use some jb weld as loctite on the screw. Is this a good idea? I can't see why everyone doesn't do this.

My thoughts exactly. I'm getting ready to do my guide, and I think i'm gonna use a tad bit of jb weld on the guide to put it in the right spot. Then I'll drill and tap with the bullet guide as a "guide." I'll use some jb weld as loctite on the screw. Is this a good idea? I can't see why everyone doesn't do this.

Well honestly once done like that it will never be able to be removed. Now why would you remove it? No idea.

Hell use use nail polish for all the stress that gets placed on that guide. Please note the exaggeration here...

Hell use use nail polish for all the stress that gets placed on that guide. Please note the exaggeration here...

I don't know if I'd go down that road. The purists are going to want to use genuine Russian nail polish. Given the embargo on importing Russian fashion items, it may have to be acquired through a third fashionista country. Then you'd have to decide on what Russian nail polish color to use. "Factory Passion" or "Springtime in the Gulag" are two popular choices, but they'll set you back $75 a bottle. But then again, you'll have genuine Russian nail polish.

I don't know if I'd go down that road. The purists are going to want to use genuine Russian nail polish. Given the embargo on importing Russian fashion items, it may have to be acquired through a third fashionista country. Then you'd have to decide on what Russian nail polish color to use. "Factory Passion" or "Springtime in the Gulag" are two popular choices, but they'll set you back $75 a bottle. But then again, you'll have genuine Russian nail polish.

I have always been fond of the cold gulash color myself. Also one final note just to make the purists crazy!! I did mine with nothing but JB Weld let it set overnight and to this day I have put about 200 rounds over it. So there....lol

^ 200 rounds ain't shit. :rolleyes: You haven't really tested it yet.

I'm what you might call a purist.. to a point anyway. Yeah, my bullet guide is rivetted in, (the same way it's attached at the factory), and yeah, I have just a little more faith in this method of attachment than muhfuckin JB Weld. :D

Let us know how that shit's holdin up at about the 2.5-3k round mark, Mossberg. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I'm what you might call a purist.. to a point anyway. Yeah, my bullet guide is rivetted in, (the same way it's attached at the factory), and yeah, I have just a little more faith in this method of attachment than muhfuckin JB Weld. :D

Let us know how that shit's holdin up at about the 2.5-3k round mark, Mossberg. ;)

Sounds like someone needs a hug.....or maybe anger management...lol

Yeah, my bullet guide is rivetted in, (the same way it's attached at the factory)

Is there a practical way to rivet the BG during a Saiga restoration? Is there a jig or tool that allows you to get in there without removing the trunnion from the receiver and set the rivet? Could a smart guy invent one and make lots of money and forever kill this JB Weld thread? Isn't there a three question limit to a post rule?

Pretty well brother just keeps on feeding way over 2.5k rounds judging from the ammo Ive had to replace. Some wear on the upper portion of the guide that indicates a downward force which of course is cool and since I polished the lead edge of the guide first that is doing wonderfully well. But hey I just like tweaking convention.

Does a genuine Izhmash AK-103 have a bullet guide?

Yes.

Why wouldn't they just design the trunnion to have the ramp as an integral part of the trunnion. I had thought the milled out area where the BG goes was a change that allowed them to get around the US import rules. Why is there a need to have a separate BG on a AK-103 that won't be sold in the US? I guess I don't understand the design parameters of the BG.

Does a genuine Izhmash AK-103 have a bullet guide?

Yes.

Why wouldn't they just design the trunnion to have the ramp as an integral part of the trunnion. I had thought the milled out area where the BG goes was a change that allowed them to get around the US import rules. Why is there a need to have a separate BG on a AK-103 that won't be sold in the US? I guess I don't understand the design parameters of the BG.

I guess you don't. :D

I don't either. That's just the way the Russkies do it in current mil-spec AK rifles. It seems to be working out pretty well.

I had the flat trunnion, which I actually think is a little easier for lining up the bullet guide. I drilled and tapped mine then installed... shot about 300 rounds in small increments to make sure the guide wasn't going to give me any unexpected feeding issues that i'd need to make adjustments for. I actually just removed it a while back and it hadn't loosened at all.

But to be safe, I soaked it and the bolt in degreaser, and cleaned up the trunnion. The degreaser actually soaked the paint off of the guide, which helped a little. Then re-installed the guide with a thin coat of jb weld around the bottom of the guide and trunnion.. then re-installed the bolt using red loctite. I feel pretty confident with that setup so far.

Actually used the same method when putting the trigger guards on my x39 and s12 also. knocked the paint off of the contact surfaces, jb weld, & red loctite on the bolts.

not exactly as authentic as a rivet.. but it works for me.

Edited by danklab
  • 1 year later...

I'm up Sh*ts Creek on this one......

Finished a full 922 conversion on mine and last step was the bullet guide. Got through the trunnion with the tap and on the very last rotation i was making I went just past an 8th of a turn and snap. Tap cracked right off in the trunnion.

Tried a Walton Extractor and that didn't work. After having to file the fingers down repeatedly to fit the tap flutes they kept snapping or twisting right off. Tap never budged.

Tried walking the tap out with a punch (no budge).

Tried pounding the tap through and break it up (no luck).

EDM is out of the question and I dont have easy access to a TIG welder. Unless anyone has any other ideas I'm gonna have to go the JB route too......

I'm up Sh*ts Creek on this one......

Finished a full 922 conversion on mine and last step was the bullet guide. Got through the trunnion with the tap and on the very last rotation i was making I went just past an 8th of a turn and snap. Tap cracked right off in the trunnion.

Tried a Walton Extractor and that didn't work. After having to file the fingers down repeatedly to fit the tap flutes they kept snapping or twisting right off. Tap never budged.

Tried walking the tap out with a punch (no budge).

Tried pounding the tap through and break it up (no luck).

EDM is out of the question and I dont have easy access to a TIG welder. Unless anyone has any other ideas I'm gonna have to go the JB route too......

I am with the others on here that have used JB Weld. That was not my first choice, as I broke the tap off as well. I realize it is not the "best option", but mine is holding up just fine.