Please...when it get's this bad and usually not even that bad you guys pull one of your weapons and put the guy in cuffs. What I'm saying is there are all sorts of ways to get control of a situation and they don't involve a Billy Bad-Ass attitude. What ever happened to speak softly and carry a big stick? This attitude you speak of is nothing more than a green light for a sadistic emotional release. And I've about heard enough of the "bad apples in every bunch" argument. It has been proven time after time that if it's not the cop that's doing it then they are helping cover it up, of course there is the rare case. I have run into cops before that get that attitude when they have the uniform and the State backing them up. When it's after hours it's a totally different story. Maybe in your quest to control people you should remember how to deal with bullies instead of trying to act like one.

P.S.

I am using generalities when I speak and not necessarily addressing you as an individual. I don't know you from Adam and you may very well be a stand up guy.

I understand the generalities.

But go back and actually read my first post.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a paramedic/firefighter in the worst area of my city. I work with leo closely and find myself in similar situations every day. You absolutely have to have a 'billy bad ass' attitude in your arsenal to survive and get shit done. I'm sure for the most part you all are upstanding members of the community, and to use this attitude in dealing with you would be inappropriate, but 90% of the time we are dealing with criminals and there associates, who would rather cut your throat than help bring the situation to a positive conclusion. The trick is to know when to be nice and when to be a dick, and alot of people are not good at it. If nine people want to spit in your face, but the tenth just wants to kiss you on the cheek, its difficult not to be on guard.

Edited by kope007

When I was a kid it was sop to tell kids that if something bad happened to run to a cop. The town I live in is so small the "welcome to" and "come back soon" is on the same sign. (pop. 2000) But our "police force" dresses as if they are going on a swat operation in the next five minutes...Would I tell a kid to run to them? Hell I would think twice before I approached them. And they seem to like it that way.

i know policemen have a tough job in todays world..but if you dress and carry yourself as if you are a member of a military op, dont expect the average citizen to to feel all warm and fuzzy toward you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboCTG-spQg

I used to feel differently... until last summer. So far, I've had to spend ~$7500 in legal fees to defend myself. What am I charged with? Holding my rifle in my own home after having a drink. I've since realized that my biggest mistake was attempting to cooperate, trying to "do the right thing",and answering the door when the cops came a'knockin, (in the middle of the night, without identifying themselves as LE, btw). Rest assured, that'll never happen again. I don't care what it's about.. if they wanna talk to me they can go get a damn warrant. It's too bad that that's the way it has to be, but my experience has shown me that most P.O.'s have a very predatory, adversarial attitude toward the citizenry.

So I'm having to fight this bullshit charge at trial in a couple months, when prior to the incident I had no record, not even a traffic ticket.. and I'm a vet. Guess that just doesn't matter, and I need to be vigorously prosecuted on a technicality, being a menace to society and all. :rolleyes:

It seems that police depts no longer exist to keep the peace.. now they're out to charge anyone and everyone with whatever they can come up with.. just to get another arrest and squeeze as much money from that citizen as possible.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Part of it is the level of violence already going on in other parts of the country.

In what we call the Force Continuum, Officer Presence is the first level of control.

That is a uniformed or announced police officer is on the scene and is taking control of the situation.

I teach my cadets how to use the Billy-Boy Bad Ass attitude IF that is what is needed at the time.

I also teach them that particular attitude is only for use in a certain few instances.

It does no harm to approach every situation you can with a calm, reserved attitude.

And then if the situation warrants, kick the living crap out of whoever deserves it and move on.

Unfortunately, some cops adopt this mentality 24-7 without regard for the specifics and dynamics of the situation they may be in.

I have seen situations that were perfectly calm and under control explode into full blow riots because a Wyatt Earp attitude cop arrived on scene.

I have also seen a knock down, drag out fight go completely calm when the same cop shows up.

So it really is a catch 22 situation for the cops.

That attitude is a needed part of law enforcement, but needs to be reserved for the RIGHT situation or circumstance.

When used and abused, it foments the type of resentment you are talking about.

If it is really becoming that noticeable of a problem, I'd suggest someone talk to the Chief to see if he is aware of it and see where it goes from there.

it's the mentality of the department. Some jurisdictions actually want the jack-booted-thug attitude. Brother is a police chief. Twice he has been hired when that attitude gets out of hand, and city councils want it turned around. Anyone in LEO has seen or knows the attitude I speak of. It's easy to go down this route, power trip. Easy to go from "Protect and Serve" to "Training Day". Power corrupts, takes level headed supervisors to watch for signs, yet if the juridiction has/wants that mentality. :smoke:

Very well written posts DB, Ruffian and Kope :super: And I also understand everyone else's concerns and posts from current or past experiences.

Unfortunately, we are seeing this type of behavior more and more often in many agencies. A large portion of the problem stems from the people that are currently or recently being hired. Many years ago, most people that entered the law enforcement community did so because they had an honest desire to help and serve. Now days, a large portion of the recruits that are applying are only doing so because "it is a job" and the only one that they could find at the time. Some get caught in the process, but there are still those that get through the hiring process. I observed this trend start about five years ago and it has continually gone down hill since then. There are not very many quality people that want to enter this line of work anymore and the ones that do are highly sought after by multiple agencies. The only way to change this is to stand up for your rights and help get some of these agencies and departments back on track. If you think that you have been treated poorly or wrongfully, then by all means, file a complaint with the supervisors, chief/sheriff or the internal affairs unit. If that does not work, contact your states Attorney General to look into some of the issues. I'm not so hard headed that I am unwilling to ask for help from non-leo civilians, so please help get some of this back on track. I think that most of the other leo members here will agree.

The second major problem that I see is one of the hardest the fix easily. Most officers spend so much time dealing with bad people all of the time that some tend to forget that there are still some good people out in the world. They tend to get all ramped up from dealing with some drug induced scum of the earth that have no remorse for anything and fail to turn off the attitude when dealing with normal law abiding citizens. As Dancing Bear previously stated, proper training/counceling helps deal with these issues, but is not a cure all by any stretch. I know that I make every effort when I am training someone to recognize these issues and address them accordingly. Besides, it just not their butt on the line when they screw up. As a trainer, I am responsible for providing the other officers with proper training or I can/will be held liable for their actions or lack of training and open myself up to civil/legal liabilities as well.

Fortunately, I do happen to work for a department that takes valid complaints seriously and uses many forms of discipline to correct the issues. In fact, our department has fired 5 officers in the past two months. Get rid of the problems before they can cause too many problems. Seems to be sinking in for the new hires and the ones with only limited experience. It is a very slippery slope that we are on right now in the profession, but hopefully we can drag ourselves back up to the proper standards that many try to achieve.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

I'm a paramedic/firefighter in the worst area of my city. I work with leo closely and find myself in similar situations every day. You absolutely have to have a 'billy bad ass' attitude in your arsenal to survive and get shit done. I'm sure for the most part you all are upstanding members of the community, and to use this attitude in dealing with you would be inappropriate, but 90% of the time we are dealing with criminals and there associates, who would rather cut your throat than help bring the situation to a positive conclusion. The trick is to know when to be nice and when to be a dick, and alot of people are not good at it. If nine people want to spit in your face, but the tenth just wants to kiss you on the cheek, its difficult not to be on guard.

It's sad that everybody I know including myself is a criminal. Not literally, but to just about every cop I come in contact with. Guilty until proven innocent. What are you doing here, citizen? Probably up to no good. I'm going to illegally search you now. COMPLY!

I don't hold it against them anymore. They're all like 22 years old and just got back from fighting a war. I keep my "severely being pissed off at cops" moments to the couple hours following the latest harassment. Then I get over it, and maybe mention it on the internet where it can be ignored.

Also I suspect that as the wars wind down that its likely more and more returning soldiers will naturally endup in LE due to the country's poor job situation. That and/or quasi official gov't agencies like Obama's "civil Guard" was it?

Between continuing economic pressures in our country and the media constantly harping about the dangers of angry Right Wing Extremists I'm afraid this is only going to ratchet up the confrontational attitudes of gov't enforcement officials who may not surprisingly have a heightened "Warrior" attitude about everything.

HarvKY

Please...when it get's this bad and usually not even that bad you guys pull one of your weapons and put the guy in cuffs. What I'm saying is there are all sorts of ways to get control of a situation and they don't involve a Billy Bad-Ass attitude. What ever happened to speak softly and carry a big stick? This attitude you speak of is nothing more than a green light for a sadistic emotional release. And I've about heard enough of the "bad apples in every bunch" argument. It has been proven time after time that if it's not the cop that's doing it then they are helping cover it up, of course there is the rare case. I have run into cops before that get that attitude when they have the uniform and the State backing them up. When it's after hours it's a totally different story. Maybe in your quest to control people you should remember how to deal with bullies instead of trying to act like one.

P.S.

I am using generalities when I speak and not necessarily addressing you as an individual. I don't know you from Adam and you may very well be a stand up guy.

I read it and that's largely why I put the "speaking in generalities" portion in there. I understand you are trying to get them to use this bully behavior as nearly a last resort. I just disagree with it. If they need to kick ass and make an arrest then there is a time for that. If it's not that time yet then what's the point in pretending you are going to if it hasn't reached that level yet. I do not believe in a green light for this behavior. The bad ones will simply say the situation warranted this behavior every time and continue to treat the people they work for like scum. It's part of the mental weakening of this Country. We even screw up all the time and call it a position of authority when actually it's a position of servitude. At least it used to be.

Part of it is the level of violence already going on in other parts of the country.

In what we call the Force Continuum, Officer Presence is the first level of control.

That is a uniformed or announced police officer is on the scene and is taking control of the situation.

I teach my cadets how to use the Billy-Boy Bad Ass attitude IF that is what is needed at the time.

I also teach them that particular attitude is only for use in a certain few instances.

It does no harm to approach every situation you can with a calm, reserved attitude.

And then if the situation warrants, kick the living crap out of whoever deserves it and move on.

Unfortunately, some cops adopt this mentality 24-7 without regard for the specifics and dynamics of the situation they may be in.

I have seen situations that were perfectly calm and under control explode into full blow riots because a Wyatt Earp attitude cop arrived on scene.

I have also seen a knock down, drag out fight go completely calm when the same cop shows up.

So it really is a catch 22 situation for the cops.

That attitude is a needed part of law enforcement, but needs to be reserved for the RIGHT situation or circumstance.

When used and abused, it foments the type of resentment you are talking about.

If it is really becoming that noticeable of a problem, I'd suggest someone talk to the Chief to see if he is aware of it and see where it goes from there.

it's the mentality of the department. Some jurisdictions actually want the jack-booted-thug attitude. Brother is a police chief. Twice he has been hired when that attitude gets out of hand, and city councils want it turned around. Anyone in LEO has seen or knows the attitude I speak of. It's easy to go down this route, power trip. Easy to go from "Protect and Serve" to "Training Day". Power corrupts, takes level headed supervisors to watch for signs, yet if the juridiction has/wants that mentality. :smoke:

Very well written posts DB, Ruffian and Kope :super: And I also understand everyone else's concerns and posts from current or past experiences.

Unfortunately, we are seeing this type of behavior more and more often in many agencies. A large portion of the problem stems from the people that are currently or recently being hired. Many years ago, most people that entered the law enforcement community did so because they had an honest desire to help and serve. Now days, a large portion of the recruits that are applying are only doing so because "it is a job" and the only one that they could find at the time. Some get caught in the process, but there are still those that get through the hiring process. I observed this trend start about five years ago and it has continually gone down hill since then. There are not very many quality people that want to enter this line of work anymore and the ones that do are highly sought after by multiple agencies. The only way to change this is to stand up for your rights and help get some of these agencies and departments back on track. If you think that you have been treated poorly or wrongfully, then by all means, file a complaint with the supervisors, chief/sheriff or the internal affairs unit. If that does not work, contact your states Attorney General to look into some of the issues. I'm not so hard headed that I am unwilling to ask for help from non-leo civilians, so please help get some of this back on track. I think that most of the other leo members here will agree.

The second major problem that I see is one of the hardest the fix easily. Most officers spend so much time dealing with bad people all of the time that some tend to forget that there are still some good people out in the world. They tend to get all ramped up from dealing with some drug induced scum of the earth that have no remorse for anything and fail to turn off the attitude when dealing with normal law abiding citizens. As Dancing Bear previously stated, proper training/counceling helps deal with these issues, but is not a cure all by any stretch. I know that I make every effort when I am training someone to recognize these issues and address them accordingly. Besides, it just not their butt on the line when they screw up. As a trainer, I am responsible for providing the other officers with proper training or I can/will be held liable for their actions or lack of training and open myself up to civil/legal liabilities as well.

Fortunately, I do happen to work for a department that takes valid complaints seriously and uses many forms of discipline to correct the issues. In fact, our department has fired 5 officers in the past two months. Get rid of the problems before they can cause too many problems. Seems to be sinking in for the new hires and the ones with only limited experience. It is a very slippery slope that we are on right now in the profession, but hopefully we can drag ourselves back up to the proper standards that many try to achieve.

Personally, I have had no problems at all. The last traffic ticket I got was in 1983 and the Judge even threw it out (I can't even remember why). However, I have a buddy who relayed a story about what happened to him where the police were unnecessarily excessive with force. He said it was time for a cell phone with a video camera - so I got one. He said that between the bad guys and their lawyers and the police and potentially excessive force, the law-abiding citizen is caught in the middle and needs a firearm and a video camera just to protect themselves these days. I still haven' figure out how to use a glock and a video camera simultaneously, though. LOL

I read it and that's largely why I put the "speaking in generalities" portion in there. I understand you are trying to get them to use this bully behavior as nearly a last resort. I just disagree with it. If they need to kick ass and make an arrest then there is a time for that. If it's not that time yet then what's the point in pretending you are going to if it hasn't reached that level yet. I do not believe in a green light for this behavior. The bad ones will simply say the situation warranted this behavior every time and continue to treat the people they work for like scum. It's part of the mental weakening of this Country. We even screw up all the time and call it a position of authority when actually it's a position of servitude. At least it used to be.

Look at it as just another tool in the box.

There are many instances where that attitude does prevent further escalation.

Let me liken it to the idea that by changing our country's stance on muslim extremists, the President is showing weakness to these same people.

I know that is a bit of a stretch, but some of these predators living in our communities also mistake kindness and professionalism for weakness and will sucker punch a cop in a heartbeat.

Now, are there cops out there that shouldn't be?

Absolutely.

Especially now during our current economic woes.

There are some people that barely make it through high school, fail the ASVAB, and wind up as cops in Splendora, Texas, etc.

That is not to say that some of them do not become fine officers!

It is another generalization.

I also think that age might have some impact on this attitude, IN GENERAL!

Because I have seen young officers come in that put many long time cops to shame.

And while it is relatively easy to spot some of the ones that may become overly zealous, some become that way (as previously mentioned) due to the people they deal with on a daily basis, or because of some traumatic experience they have on duty that changes their entire outlook on life.

We try very hard to teach them how to "turn it off", and leave it behind when they go home.

Because, unfortunately, some do take it home with them and subject their families to it.

Sadly, there is no magic "attitude" that works 100% of the time with 100% of the popultion.

My job is to to teach my people how to survive on the street.

And I am going to give them every possible tool to do so.

I am also going to do my very best to give them the understanding of how best to use those tools!

Edited by Dancing Bear

I'm sorry but I don't ever see a time when "Billie Bad-Ass" is justified. There are plenty of ways to control any situation without acting like a tremendous Ass hole. I've seen it plenty of times and not once did I think to myself that this is a guy that has his shit under control. I just figured he was a little punk who was about to pee his pants or he was one of the bad cops that I might need to get control of if he started to abuse my rights as a citizen. If they are true men, intellectually competent to hold a position of authority and a gun to enforce it with you shouldn't need to teach them how to handle themselves with regards to an attitude. This is dangerous and it's going to get worse. Just Google "police brutality" and see the trash that comes up. The more this goes on unpunished and exposed the more people are going to look at the police as an enemy and possibly a mortal threat.

So, how should cops deal with a totally uncooperative and combative person?

Ask them "pretty please"?????

P.S.

Hmmmm.... I recognize this aggressive behavior and "puffy" look from my football days (linemen and linebackers mostly)......... Steroids. I wonder if you gave the Olympics level performance enhancing drug test to these individuals in the videos what you might find.

Edited by 690gr

It seems that police depts no longer exist to keep the peace.. now they're out to charge anyone and everyone with whatever they can come up with.. just to get another arrest and squeeze as much money from that citizen as possible.

Bingo, they are just another revenue collection agency. Nothing against the cops in this forum, but I really can't see how you guys can live with yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFzaRLQfXg

:smoke:

Bingo, they are just another revenue collection agency. Nothing against the cops in this forum, but I really can't see how you guys can live with yourselves.

Because you don't have a realistic view of what we really do.

Not saying that in a derogatory way, it's just that your mind has been made up and it doesn't matter what ANY police officer says.

It's kind of like the old "walk a mile in my shoes" type of thing, or the "it's like sex-you had to be there" thing.

FUCK THE POPO!!!

Thats my attitude as well, I don't need some jack-booted-para-military roving around in his ticket-mobile waiting to pray on me or my wife when the city payroll is coming due. These people need to take a long hard look at their lives as revenue agents of the state and decide if they can live with themselves or not.

Now, anyone that knows me knows I am no cop basher, but enough is enough....

+1000! thing ARE getting way outta hand!

I agree with SuperA.

I'm not a LEO and I don't play one on TV. So, I have no experience with their task and that's why I try to cut LEO's some slack.

I want to make one point that I haven't seen here. In my experience, COURTESY INDICATES COMPETENCE. I have worked with LEO's in several States, Canada, and Great Britain. The folks I respected the most projected quiet authority. There was never any doubt they could take someone down. They just choose to be professional and cool. In a recent discussion with my neighborhood watch officer I asked about how LEO's work with gang members. It seems to me that gangs around here promote loud confrontations, lots of yelling and such. My watch officer agreed, gang's want to use noise as a distraction. He told me the worst thing an officer can do is get into a verbal battle.

Bad attitude is not safe or productive. That applies to both the LEO and the perp.

My two cents,

Nick

P.S.

I think the person the LEO is dealing with should determine the LEO's attitude.

The scary thing is, if some amped up cop is going to shoot you, it doesn't matter that it's wrong, you'll be DEAD.

The only way to make police above reproach is to aggressively handle all complaints, and yes, some innocents will get fired,

but that's much better than letting people get killed from a little Hitler.

So I'm guessing if one of your family members is shot, raped, or robbed, you won't be calling the police.

Not trying to be a smartass but the area I grew up in was very high crime rate and the last place LEO's wanted to be. Fact is in most cases if something bad was going down it seemed LEO's would always time their arrival after the fact. Now I live in a great area and LEO's in this area are always pulling their billy badass on people for small traffic violations, I'm not speaking about me but I have in the last two months be witness to three occurrences. I know there are officer's working toward the better of mankind, but cops let the brotherhood thing get in the way of making the right call sometimes and I know I could not be a cop, my fuse is way to short. We the people place this status, cops must be prefect, but the truth is officer's are human and pron to make human behavioral mistakes. That's way the selection process must be of the highest grade. When I see a cool headed officer, he or she commands all my respect and leaves a lasting impression on me. To answer your question, yes, but only as a aftermath call, in today's world people are brainwash to believe the law will save you when your in need, at Virginia Tech the News cameras showed the local LEO's hiding behind trees outside the school, while you could clearly hear gunfire as the gunman was shooting the students one at a time in the school, and hell who would want to go in there, bullets was flying around in there. If someones violets my family, I'm old school and rely on no man to fight my battles, who cares about my well being or my family's, you? Doubt it! Here's some food for thought, after witnessing the violations against a couple of my friends I decided to build a website call Ratecop.com which all my friends starting laughing at the name because they said it sounded like rapecop.com, anyway I did a search before getting that domain and found this! Rate My Cop SO I looked up my area, guess what I found, my entire area is in the red! Big surprise right, not after what I've been seeing.

So I'm guessing if one of your family members is shot, raped, or robbed, you won't be calling the police.

Most LEO are glorified traffic cops. They are not able to prevent the vast majority of muggings, rapes or shootings. On top of that, most crime goes unsolved which sugests that these guys are piss poor investigators as well....

Ill keep my family and property safe myself, thank you vary much. Cops are pretty much a useless parasite on the larger society. No offense to any LEO on this board, but you guys should really consider a new vocation.

Nothing against the cops in this forum, but I really can't see how you guys can live with yourselves.

:smoke:

Cops are pretty much a useless parasite on the larger society. No offense to any LEO on this board, but you guys should really consider a new vocation.

:haha2::haha2: Sal, you seriously crack me up. Your above statements would be like me walking up to my Chief and saying "With all due respect, you are a douche!" Everything should be ok since I said "with all due respect" right? Besides, I don't have to live with myself, I'm a vampire and not alive. Have you not seen my avatar? :ph34r:

I'm just kidding of course and I definately understand everyone's opinion. So far, I have not seen any leo on this forum trying to defend this type of behavior, just trying to explain why it happens. I am just as tired of it as everyone else and no, I do not just stand idly by when I see any type of abuse.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

So I met them at the door and decided I would only let one of them in and the other had to stay outside. You should have seen the look on his face, he tried to insist but I stood my ground.

It was a mistake to let even one in. Never give cops permission to come inside, search, or anything else.

I'm glad it turned out OK, but I've read too many stories where it didn't.

:haha2::haha2: Sal, you seriously crack me up. Your above statements would be like me walking up to my Chief and saying "With all due respect, you are a douche!" Everything should be ok since I said "with all due respect" right? Besides, I don't have to live with myself, I'm a vampire and not alive. Have you not seen my avatar? :ph34r:

I'm just kidding of course and I definately understand everyone's opinion. So far, I have not seen any leo on this forum trying to defend this type of behavior, just trying to explain why it happens. I am just as tired of it as everyone else and no, I do not just stand idly by when I see any type of abuse.

GeorgiaPD:> You know me and know I am not a cop basher, but things are out of control when you have leo posters on this board excusing bad behavior by saying "You have to walk a mile in their shoes" or "you have to be curtious to be treated like a human being".... Its just BS and you know it. The abuse is coming from cops, not the other way around.

Also your avitar is awesome. :haha:

Edited by bigsal

Not trying to be a smartass but the area I grew up in was very high crime rate and the last place LEO's wanted to be. Fact is in most cases if something bad was going down it seemed LEO's would always time their arrival after the fact. Now I live in a great area and LEO's in this area are always pulling their billy badass on people for small traffic violations, I'm not speaking about me but I have in the last two months be witness to three occurrences. I know there are officer's working toward the better of mankind, but cops let the brotherhood thing get in the way of making the right call sometimes and I know I could not be a cop, my fuse is way to short. We the people place this status, cops must be prefect, but the truth is officer's are human and pron to make human behavioral mistakes. That's way the selection process must be of the highest grade. When I see a cool headed officer, he or she commands all my respect and leaves a lasting impression on me. To answer your question, yes, but only as a aftermath call, in today's world people are brainwash to believe the law will save you when your in need, at Virginia Tech the News cameras showed the local LEO's hiding behind trees outside the school, while you could clearly hear gunfire as the gunman was shooting the students one at a time in the school, and hell who would want to go in there, bullets was flying around in there. If someones violets my family, I'm old school and rely on no man to fight my battles, who cares about my well being or my family's, you? Doubt it! Here's some food for thought, after witnessing the violations against a couple of my friends I decided to build a website call Ratecop.com which all my friends starting laughing at the name because they said it sounded like rapecop.com, anyway I did a search before getting that domain and found this! Rate My Cop SO I looked up my area, guess what I found, my entire area is in the red! Big surprise right, not after what I've been seeing.

Cam, and some of you others need to know that there still are cops out there that do try their best.

Sadly a lot of users on here cannot (or will not) acknowledge that fact.

Cops are no more perfect than any of the rest of you.

But many more of them strive to be better than many of you here.

Cops do what they do for reasons some here are incapable of understanding.

I checked out your site and got a good chuckle out of it.

Some of the ratings are dead on.

Now, I will try one last time to get through to some of you.

I tell all my cadets that as a police officer, they have to do their jobs that much better than the rest of the public.

That they have to live their lives, public and private, a little bit better than the rest of the public.

That whether they agree or not, they will be held to a different standard than the rest of the public.

Because there is a segment of the public out there that is paranoid and too stupid to ever understand.

I've discussed at length what to do with bad officers so I will not go over that again.

But understand that the vast majority of officers ARE doing the job better than you want to give them credit for!

Now, if that's not good enough for some of you out there, then I suggest that there is something wrong with YOU!

And Cam, this is not aimed at you.

I just took the opportunity of your post to respond.

GeorgiaPD:> You know me and know I am not a cop basher, but things are out of control when you have leo posters on this board excusing bad behavior by saying "You have to walk a mile in their shoes" or "you have to be curtious to be treated like a human being".... Its just BS and you know it. The abuse is coming from cops, not the other way around.

Also your avitar is awesome. :haha:

You obviously either did not read where we did post about dealing with bad cops, or didn't understand it.

None of use tried to "excuse bad behavior" as you put it.

You refuse to understand for what every your reasons are.

And I'm sorry, but when you post "Cops are pretty much a useless parasite on the larger society.", that pretty much colors you for what you really are.

Add to that the "abuse" of many of your posts against cops and yeah, you ARE bashing!

You obviously either did not read where we did post about dealing with bad cops, or didn't understand it.

None of use tried to "excuse bad behavior" as you put it.

You refuse to understand for what every your reasons are.

And I'm sorry, but when you post "Cops are pretty much a useless parasite on the larger society.", that pretty much colors you for what you really are.

Add to that the "abuse" of many of your posts against cops and yeah, you ARE bashing!

Like I said guy, I have nothing against cops. I think probably 60-70% of LEO are good people, its the 30-40% corrupt, bully, jerk-offs that give the rest of you bad names. Again, I apologise for hurting your feelings.

So I met them at the door and decided I would only let one of them in and the other had to stay outside. You should have seen the look on his face, he tried to insist but I stood my ground.

It was a mistake to let even one in. Never give cops permission to come inside, search, or anything else.

I'm glad it turned out OK, but I've read too many stories where it didn't.

That is the rule at my house. Never ever let them in. Don't even answer the door. If they have a warrant they will serve it, if not, leave.

Cam, and some of you others need to know that there still are cops out there that do try their best.

Sadly a lot of users on here cannot (or will not) acknowledge that fact.

Cops are no more perfect than any of the rest of you.

But many more of them strive to be better than many of you here.

Cops do what they do for reasons some here are incapable of understanding.

I checked out your site and got a good chuckle out of it.

Some of the ratings are dead on.

Now, I will try one last time to get through to some of you.

I tell all my cadets that as a police officer, they have to do their jobs that much better than the rest of the public.

That they have to live their lives, public and private, a little bit better than the rest of the public.

That whether they agree or not, they will be held to a different standard than the rest of the public.

Because there is a segment of the public out there that is paranoid and too stupid to ever understand.

I've discussed at length what to do with bad officers so I will not go over that again.

But understand that the vast majority of officers ARE doing the job better than you want to give them credit for!

Now, if that's not good enough for some of you out there, then I suggest that there is something wrong with YOU!

And Cam, this is not aimed at you.

I just took the opportunity of your post to respond.

Paranoid and stupid huh? Going on the attack over a disagreement about some police officers?

I was going to be a cop and did the ride along in my county for months. With my 1st cousin no less. Who I am pretty tight with. I decided I couldn't do it. Just not for me. It is a very different world and you really do have to be there and see what goes on. It truly is a very thin blue line and I get it now. But only because I have seen it first hand. It is a tough position, but if you go out and truly act a like a professional and do what is required to do without the attitude, it works out for the best every time.

Just think how doctors act when they see patients. Professional, and they only cut you when it is required. Not just because they can. There are truly quite a few dickhead cops out there who deserve the bad rap. But to call people paranoid and stupid because they treat all interactions with the police with caution and distrust (because you never know what you will draw out of the deck) is just part of the same attitude people are talking about.

The rules are simple at my house. Never answer door to the police, or step outside and shut the door behind you, but usually just don't answer it. It is not required. Never volunteer information, only provide what is required by law. In my state this is drivers license if driving and announce your CCW if carrying. That is the extent of my requirements unless I am being detained, arrested, or investigated on reasonable suspicion of a crime. Then all I am required by law to do is give my first and last name and DOB.

And never, ever, call the law. For anything, ever, for any reason. Ever. If I can't handle it on my own, what the fuck is another dude who happens to have a gun gonna do? Do the police have some magical power that gives them the ability to defend me and mine better than me? Uh, I don't think so. Most cops are stand up guys, I know several really well and am related to another. But why take the chance on getting a dud that you may have problems with...........

There are 32,000 lines of judicial code out there, I sure as hell don't know them all, why would I even open my mouth? I have used this approach for years and never had any problems. I have had the occasional "What do you have to hide?" You better answer my questions!

The very first " am I free to go officer"? has worked for me every time but one.

I had illegal tint on my car and he told me I was gonna take it off right then and there or I was going to jail. I told him in no uncertain terms that he was gonna call his supervisor right then and get him there or he was gonna write me a ticket and let me go right now and I'll see you in court. 100 bucks and court costs later and my tint is still there. I was wrong for the tint, but so was he for going to use his "power" and unlawfully make me do something he wanted me to do. I payed the fine and that was it. Kudos to the professionals........ To hell with the I am the law and you will bend to my will. I am a grown ass man, I don't need a babysitter..