Saiga-12 - 10 round magazine!!!!

Because it is not part of your MTOE and cant be used by you in execution of your military duties. Thats the bottom line. I know it is stupid, but they will still nail you for it. I have lots of guys in my Battalion that feel the same way.

James Bunten

SPC, BSC 1/19th SFG

Here is something interesting. I have been looking for what constitutes an "assault shotgun" and this is all I can find:

a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;

a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

a fixed magazine in excess of five rounds;

and an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

http://www.gunnerynetwork.com/assault_weap...-ban-facts.html

So you can have the detachable mag, even the 8 round mags without restriction if you dont have the same configuration I recently got. Maybe the Choate dragunov stock could slide by, but they have ruled thumbhole stocks to be P-grips on other guns... Either way, I would bet that dealers dont sell the 8rd mags as they are trying to CYA and think that the 5 round mag limit mentioned above would save them some trouble (although it clearly states FIXED mag that holds more than 5 rounds, OR a detachable mag of any number.

If anyone finds any other notes or rulings, lets hash it out, because by this EVRYONE Should be able to have the 8rd mags under this wording. And even the modified 10rd USAS-12 mags would be ok and they are not falling into the LCFD bullshit that is also part of the AW Ban. Drums however........

(Thank God I have my FFL!!!!!)

PvtPyle-

:unsure: The sad part about your stated facts are that I wouldnt trust my military small arms training to fight my way out of a wet paper bag. They told us numerous times that only very recently were tankers being trained to any degree in dismounted fighting, including training on the M4. We qualified on the coldest day of the year and most of us barely made marksman because the 'pop-up' targets were frozen upright and did not register hits. Similarly when we got to 'qual' on M-9s, our targets were so full of holes that one could observe the round pass straight through the pop-up and impact close by on the other side (through the dummy because of the screen door effect). I think my platoon lucked out because our "junior" drill Sgt. was a IPSC shooter and had competed in 3-gun matches as well, as such he tried to impart a little of his wisdom to us when he could. I understand that the Army is on a strapped budget and that this was only our "Basic" training, but with tankers seeing more and more dismounted patroling throught the world (a couple of our drills had actually cleared bunker complexes in Kuwait during GW-1) I find the training in that area poor at best. The Army truely is abandoning marksmanship in favor of volume of fire. With that concept one wonders if we may see infantry in a few short years armed Taliban style with RPGs and small spray-n-pray "assault carbines".

As to my earlier gripe, not too long ago, with in memory of my TC back at my home unit, National Guard and Active had much the same ability to purchase LEO/only weapons individualy that cops did. One only had to find a sympathetic CO to sign off on the purchase and even in a non class-III state you could purchase anything your local Sheriff had access to.

In the end I guess if I didnt have a family to watch out for now, I'd stick with the mindset "screw it, if they want 'em, let them try to take them". It is very difficult for me to stomach having to jump through hoops for my God-given rights and freedoms, especially when in a very few short months here I'll be changing my NG contract in for an active one. It makes me so mad to think of all my other "battle buddies" out there doing so much more than they signed on for, for king and country, getting shorted like this. :angry:

Stamp taxes, government interference into enumerated rights, illegal violation of person and property in the name of security....

boy this is beginning to sound familiar. Didnt we already fight a war because of this?

Oh well, I'll shut up now. At my pay-grade I dont get payed to think that big.

Anderson

Dude, I feel your pain and I COMPLETLY understand where you are coming from. I think members of the military should have the right to buy whatever restricted items they see fit (Hell for that matter, I dont think any of this shit should be restricted in ANY way. I can see background checks on SOME NFA items but thats about it. The registry being closed is total bullshit). And finding a sympathetic commander may not often be a problem, but if you get some over zelous ATF goon, they can make life very difficult for you and the CO who signed off on it. It has happened before in the CA Guard. A CO signed off so one of his guys could get some high-caps and skirt the ban, and CA and the feds popped them for it.

Better safe than sorry, at least for me it is.

Oh, completely agree. From what my TC told me the whole having your CO sign off is kaput and has been for at least a couple of years, otherwise I'd have been all over that from the word go. When I was in Phoenix a week ago I was offered a supressed Walther P-22, NIB, for $800, transfer tax included. Funny story, at 26, I'm older than usual to have just come out of OSUT, I did three years of ROTC in college before dropping out of the program so I could concentrait on my studies. I had a younger 'battle buddy' that I was in charge of the last year I was in the program who wanted to become a Guard officer. Funny thing is, he's now the Sr. officer at my home armory ;) I used to buy the guy beer when he was underage....and I got him started into collecting. We comiserate routinely that he cant drop his John-Hancock and get us all the toys we want.

The Guard is such a strange world...the first time I met my CO he was hiding in the latrine because our acting 1st Sgt was chasing around trying to give him an indian burn....I wonder if active will be like this.

Well, got to wait until the first gunshow of next month to pick up the trigger parts I need to start in on my S-12 Druganov project. Until then I'm going to go over to my brother-in-law's place and piss him off by shooting clays with the thing :)

Anderson

Our 1st SGT dropped the CPT in front of the whole company (along with some other guys) because he is not going to JRTC next month. He did not even ask, he just ask the CPT if he was going, and when he got an answer he didn't like he said, "Sir, why dont you just come up here with the other guys and give me push-ups until I am tired."

Granted, Top is a former Marine DI, built like a fridge, and just has this presence about him (as all 1st SGT's should). But I guess being in this kind of unit things are a bit different than regular army.

What kind of can was it? If it was a Gemtech that was a pretty good deal.