urgent help! installing bullet guide

screwd up yeah! :(( So I lined up the bullet guide and drilled, I hit the first hole and I stopped. But when I replaced the bullet guide into place the hole is off the the left a little, so I have to drill the edge to fix it? I do not know that screw could be to loose in there then a big hole with tiny screw :( ..... SO the other problem is that I can not screw down my tap? I apply alot of force and its not screwing down

post-21999-12707824227533_thumb.jpg

post-21999-12707824316441_thumb.jpg

Edited by saigarifles

Take a picture of the bullet guide in place lined up with where you drilled the hole. This isn't an exact thing, there's going to be a remedy, just need to see it to decide what the remedy is.

Also let me see what you are using for a tap wrench to make sure you have the right equipment first of all (I've known people to use the wrong things to try to use a tap). Getting the tap started can take a few turns and a bit of force, not much though.

Take a picture of the bullet guide in place lined up with where you drilled the hole. This isn't an exact thing, there's going to be a remedy, just need to see it to decide what the remedy is.

Also let me see what you are using for a tap wrench to make sure you have the right equipment first of all (I've known people to use the wrong things to try to use a tap). Getting the tap started can take a few turns and a bit of force, not much though.

I NOTICE SOMETHING! the bullet guide has a UNEVEN cut mark, look at my allen wrench, look how it slants downward... Should I file it even? It would push the bullet guide forward making it closer to the hole. But would leave a few MM's off the ramp, the bullets would have to travel a few MM's I do not know how close to the edge it needs to be to catach a bullet?

post-21999-12707823790807_thumb.jpg

post-21999-12707823891785_thumb.jpg

Edited by saigarifles

OK, you have two options with that hole. The thing I would do is go ahead and tap that hole, drill out the hole in the bullet guide and use a dremel with a grinding stone to widen the bevel so the screw will fit right. The other option is to get a bigger drill bit, a bigger tap and a bigger screw to widen the hole you drilled to get it back on center. The first option is going to be easier, IMO.

That's the correct tap wrench so you are just gonna have to keep trying to tap it. It will get started, don't force it, just put it in the hole, apply some downward force and turn it until you feel pressure. Once you feel some pressure, keep going about 1/8 of a turn, then back out and then continue doing 1/4 turns and backing out until it is threaded all the way through.

When you back it out you don't need to completely remove the tap (not on this hole anyway, it depends on the hole whether you do or not). Just go in 1/4 turn, back it out like 3/4 turn, etc... it's a short hole anyway so it's only going to take a few turns.

OK, you have two options with that hole. The thing I would do is go ahead and tap that hole, drill out the hole in the bullet guide and use a dremel with a grinding stone to widen the bevel so the screw will fit right. The other option is to get a bigger drill bit, a bigger tap and a bigger screw to widen the hole you drilled to get it back on center. The first option is going to be easier, IMO.

That's the correct tap wrench so you are just gonna have to keep trying to tap it. It will get started, don't force it, just put it in the hole, apply some downward force and turn it until you feel pressure. Once you feel some pressure, keep going about 1/8 of a turn, then back out and then continue doing 1/4 turns and backing out until it is threaded all the way through.

When you back it out you don't need to completely remove the tap (not on this hole anyway, it depends on the hole whether you do or not). Just go in 1/4 turn, back it out like 3/4 turn, etc... it's a short hole anyway so it's only going to take a few turns.

I do not have a dremel, and those two sound very hard, I am not to good with tools like that to be fooling around :( When I try to turn the tap, it turns the tap but not the screw/heading.... lol !? I could try to drill the top left of the bullet guide and make the hole fit in the bulletguide hole ?? Should I file down the bullet guide it is UNEVEN...

I don't know anything about the bullet guide being uneven, mine was for a round trunnion. Someone with a flat trunnion should chime in.

The screw MAY fit without dremeling, but still you will have to either relocate the hole on the guide (to match what you drilled in the trunnion) or enlarge the hole in the trunnion (which would mean you have to enlarge the hole in the guide as well anyway...).

You actually have three other options, one is to just get a flat piece of metal somewhere and make it the same size as the guide and drill a hole in that to match what you drilled in the trunnion (effectively, replace your bullet guide with a new one that you make yourself). Or, the simplest, is to JB weld the guide in place. That's not the "correct" way and it appears to be frowned upon but honestly I don't see how it could be an issue. The bullet guide is not under much stress, rounds being loaded push it forward- and it can't go forward- and theoretically recoil pushes it back but JB weld is strong stuff. I have seen engine heads repaired with JB weld.

And finally there is the option of finding or paying someone with more skill to do this for you, that depends on where you are and who you know.

If you decide to go the JB weld route, be sure to rough up the surface of the trunnion and the bullet guide and then clean them thoroughly for the JB weld to adhere fully, and follow the instructions closely. Use real JB weld with a set time of I think 24 hours, not JB quick which sets quicker but is weaker.

Edited by Schneiderman

I might beable to fix this but my problem is my tap wont turn? lol well it turns but, no screw heading wont budge... I turn hard and I can see my handle rotate but the screw heading isnt moving, sometimes it will move but barely make scrap metal come up... The screw head(bolt not the "real screw" but the drilling part) does not really fit in the slot, maybe I should drill a little around it so It can fit in the slot then start turning???!

Edited by saigarifles

Ah, ok, your tap is not secured properly in the tap wrench. I imagine that is the kind like mine where it has the large aperture first then inside that there is a smaller aperture that you can barely see. Open up the tap wrench all the way and make sure you seat the tap all the way where the square part goes up into the small aperture on the inside of the tap wrench. Then tighten it down TIGHT. Once it is secured properly there is no way for the tap wrench to turn without turning the tap.

Either that or you have the wrong size tap wrench... but if it is rated for 0 to 1/4" it should be correct.

Edited by Schneiderman

Ah, ok, your tap is not secured properly in the tap wrench. I imagine that is the kind like mine where it has the large aperture first then inside that there is a smaller aperture that you can barely see. Open up the tap wrench all the way and make sure you seat the tap all the way where the square part goes up into the small aperture on the inside of the tap wrench. Then tighten it down TIGHT. Once it is secured properly there is no way for the tap wrench to turn without turning the tap.

Either that or you have the wrong size tap wrench... but if it is rated for 0 to 1/4" it should be correct.

its a Kobalt 1/8-1/4 and I pushed the head to the very back in the thing, still no go!! and also when I turn it scratches the chamber top, because its not long enough...

You could just skip the tapping part, drill the hole a little bigger, and then just bolt it in there. if you take your handguard off, you will be able to get underneath it to put the nut in there. Thats what i did after i broke a few taps.... :D . You could also put loctite or jb weld on it if you wanted to.

How would I apply JB weld? just place it on the bullet guide and the reciver? or do I need to sand it or something? Also if I go to the store and ask for JB weld do they know what it is or JB stands for a longer name?

Does walmart carry JB weld?

Edited by saigarifles

I think i used a 8-32 button head that was 1 1/2 inch long. I had to cut it shorter with a wire stripper/bolt cutting tool. Then i just put a lock washer on the bottom, held on to the nut with a pair of needle nose pliers and tightend the bolt. I'd take pictures but my guns all taped off waiting to get painted.