How to file down mag catch for surplus magazines?

So I just file the top of this? just like 0.01 at a time? untill the big lip of the magazine fits into place and locks tight? It barly sticks out so I have to use a small file.

Do I make it flat or make it into a shape?

By the top of "this" you should be talking about the part of the mag catch that is closest to the receiver, then yep. File slowly and as evenly as possible checking fit often with a mag. Last time I did it I found that the new Tapco 30rd polymer mags had the thickest tap of the mags available to me, but they weren't as thick as a older Romanian drum.

If I could use the search function I posted how to do it a while back...but I'm pretty sped when it comes to searching this site.

#1 - Check the legality!!! I assume this is a converted gun with a correct US parts count in it...

#2 - I would not file the catch on the gun - I would rather file the mag!

Just my 2c.

Yes it is a converted gun, I posted before how do I convert last year. I did the covnert myself was pretty easy but taking that trigger guard off was hard... I just installed the bullet guide(see other topic) now I am trying to the magazines to fit. :rolleyes:

Edited by saigarifles

Ok I am getting a slight mag wobble, I can get the mags in but they need a hammer to remove them out, the mag catch is so tight I use the hammer to push it open. I think I am going to stop before I do something dumb.... I will just file down the magazine lips and no more on the mag catch.

Edited by saigarifles

take your time file a little bit the fit then file. look on the mag lip to see side of the mag release is still hanging up. Don't try to force the mag release on, fit and file, if you take your time you really can't screw it up and you will end up with a nice mag to release fit.

Edited by leadslinger

right now I got the mags to fit, but my problem is cycling the rounds, I took the firing pin out and I push the bolt carrier forward, the left side will feed proper but when I cycle the right side (looking down on the mag) it feeds it high to the left :( .... what gives..... do I need the firing pin in to cycle proper or does it cycle proper without the firing pin?

*edit it feeds high to the left and it hits the top of the chamber and wont move...

Edited by saigarifles

You can lock this thread now, I think I fixed it. Its my dummy self again :P I am pushing it slowly with the bolt carrier and little force so its probly just I am "baby" it and not treating it like its made to be(force slam) I am pretty sure it will cycle the rounds with full force power.

Thanks for your help though! :) Convertion FULLY complete :super::super:

IF this dummy can do a saiga convert, so can you! :smoke:

Edited by saigarifles

Getting a mag jammed in the well where the catch wont move means you have a bit more filing to do on part of the catch. The main problem about filing the mags instead of the catch is your mags wont work well on others rifles and theirs on yours at all, and that's about it. As long as you go slow there no risk.

Getting a mag jammed in the well where the catch wont move means you have a bit more filing to do on part of the catch. The main problem about filing the mags instead of the catch is your mags wont work well on others rifles and theirs on yours at all, and that's about it. As long as you go slow there no risk.

I was getting some wobble so I stoped, I was scared to file it to short or file the wrong part that it would not fit mags no more, I could always file the other mag releases(this is my only ak but in the furture if I get more ak styles)

Edited by saigarifles