I got my AGP stock!.... first impressions

I ordered the new AGP sidefolder from saiga12.com. I had a shipping issue and it was handled with accuracy.... because my stock arrived today. That was fast :)

Onward, I cut the tang off of my S12 and it took about 10 minutes with a Dremel and small file. I had to tap the reciever block in with a rubber mallet as the block fit very snug (perfect really). The stock looks nice and fairly rugged. I don't intend to use it as a baseball bat, so I'm sure it will be perfect for my use. It locks up absolutely solid. It takes a quick 'snap' to get it to lock in the open position without pushing the button. I think I may put a little lube where the button slides in until it gets broken in as it is a little stiff. I haven't really had a lot of time to examine it, but it looks like the QD point can be switched to the front and rear of the stock on both the left and right sides.

The pad on this stock is really soft and looks like it will be quite an improvement over the feel of my Romy sidefolder.

The stock doesn't lock in the open position, but it is farly stiff and doesn't just flop around. I'm unsure about how well it will stay folded while carrying the rifle slung over the back. The charging handle is very hard to get to with the stock folded. Those of you with the vertical Galil type charging handles will have no problem at all. My hand barely touches the stock while holding the pistol grip with the stock folded. I hope to see the range with it tomorrow maybe.

If this writeup isn't great, my excuse is that I have driven for almost 10 hours straight and I am extremely tired, lol. I got home and wanted to get the stock on and get a first impression on it. I was excited. Anyone else got theirs yet?

Thank you Makc!!!! Excellent customer service.... feedback inbound ;) I like the stock too!

I've seen these awhile ago on AGP's Arfcom subforum. They've been putting them on .22 AR's. They look kinda cool.

BTW, what the hell kinda person makes a write up and doesn't provide pictures???????? :haha:

No, seriously, we need pics.

I've seen these awhile ago on AGP's Arfcom subforum. They've been putting them on .22 AR's. They look kinda cool.

BTW, what the hell kinda person makes a write up and doesn't provide pictures???????? :haha:

No, seriously, we need pics.

I forgot.... I've been dealing with some other issues. Pics coming this afternoon ;)

I'm going to start off by saying that this stock is absolutely a great value. It fired my S12 with it on Saturday and it is a Cadillac with this stock on it. I was actually using it in one of the videos of the Wichester Universal mag dumps and there is a very noticeable difference in ability to control the weapon at rapid fire. The buttpad is soooo soft. I planned on buying a Limbsaver for it, but there is no point in doing it. Love it as-is.

Shooter,

Here come the pics....

Looks great folded

post-22401-1271209307689_thumb.jpg

Looks great unfolded

post-22401-12712093240837_thumb.jpg

It seems a bit bulky at the rear when folded, but I don't have anything to compare it to other than the E. German or Romy folders. Not a dealbreaker though. Still like it....

post-22401-12712095043951_thumb.jpg

A rear view. Did I mention this stock has very minimal play in it when opened?

post-22401-12712095421561_thumb.jpg

New stock..blah..blah..blah.. All I see in that pic is the mag. Gimme! :chris:

j/k of course, man. :D That AGP stock does look good. I've yet to see a stock that I like better than the Ace Ultra-Light on a push-button folder that I use, but one of the great things about these shotguns is the amazing variety of options one has when it comes to accessories. To each his own.

The AGP looks like a very nice choice. :up:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

When the stock is folded it is very difficult to use the charging handle. I don't fire mine folded, so it isn't a big deal to me. The stock can be swung out a bit and the charging handle is accessible.... one of the good things about it not locking in the folded position

post-22401-12712097429201_thumb.jpg

This is one of the advantages of a right sidefolder.... self explanatory.

post-22401-12712103800214_thumb.jpg

the rivet looking thing is actually an allen head screw. The QD attach insert can be moved to four different spots on the stock. 1 forward and 1 rear per side. An extra one of these wouldn't hurt a thing, but it just came with one

.... hint hint AGP :)

post-22401-12712106248821_thumb.jpg

The only problem with the left side forward QD point, is that the swivel gets in the way of the button a little. There isn't much room to put it elsewhere though. This is a beefy spot on the front of the stock and I would rather it be in the way than fail.

post-22401-1271210828357_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz

The block needed no modification to fit snug to the reciever. Looks nice and clean as long as you do your part.

post-22401-12712121089528_thumb.jpg

The stock is a little tight to the trigger finger when completely folded to the reciever, for right handed persons, but swing it out a touch and you'll be GTG

post-22401-12712121888893_thumb.jpg

Overall, it has minor shortcomings, but I think all sdefolders have their advantages and disadvantages. It is comfortable, has multiple QD attach points, and locks solid in the open position. If you wanted to carry it 'slung' in the folded position, you would have to attach the sling to one of the QD points on the right side of the stock or on one of the loops. I tried it with the sling where it is shown and it tends to 'open' up easily. There are a couple AR-type sling loops built in for those of you that don't have or use the QD units.

If you have been considering buying this stock, I doubt you will find anything better at this price point. If you don't know where to get one.... it is in the saiga12.com e-store .Also, Max shipped mine to me extremely fast. I was very pleased with the quick and smooth transaction. THANK YOU Makc!!!!

AGP,

Great job. It's nice to see an affordable versatile sidefolder for AK type weapons that actually looks nice and works well. Lifetime Warranty too? Doesn't get any better than that.

thank you,

evl

Shooter,

Enough pics for ya :up: ... enjoy

ETA: There's a storage compartment in the stock, but I haven't looked in there yet, lol.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

New stock..blah..blah..blah.. All I see in that pic is the mag. Gimme! :chris:

j/k of course, man. :D That AGP stock does look good. I've yet to see a stock that I like better than the Ace Ultra-Light on a push-button folder that I use, but one of the great things about these shotguns is the amazing variety of options one has when it comes to accessories. To each his own.

The AGP looks like a very nice choice. :up:

I got the mag in the 'for sale' section here.... u snooooze u looooose ;) Gotta be quick, lol.

Shooter,

Enough pics for ya :up: ... enjoy

Yup! :D

I won't lie, when I first saw this thread, I was skeptical. Only because I know they pretty much designed it for use on .22 AR's. But hey, if it works, it works.

That stock pad does indeed look very cushy. The stock itself has a very CTR-esque look about it, so that's a plus in my book. Looks awesome.

The folder button / catch....

It's steel right? :unsure:

I know it's a dumb question, but now days, one never knows.

It is made of polymer. I think you would really have to be beating the snot out of something with the stock to break it though. It is quite beefy. I'm not scared of it breaking....

Will it bolt up to a AR15 pig nose adapter?

There are some good pics of how it mounts here

It will bolt up to anything flat. Not sure I understood what you were asking. I'm familiar with the pignose adapter, just not sure why you would need it. I hope the pics help.

I'm not sure if the AGP will do that.. but fwiw, Ace stocks absolutely will.

PA,

You like the Ace stocks, huh?.... keep working on me and curiousity may make me buy one sooner or later ;)

I really like this AGP though. I like the QD attach points. Is there an Ace model that has QD attach points?

I'm not sure if the AGP will do that.. but fwiw, Ace stocks absolutely will.

PA,

You like the Ace stocks, huh?.... keep working on me and curiousity may make me buy one sooner or later ;) ..

What's not to like?

stock1.jpg

stock21.jpg

stock3.jpg

stock41z.jpg

:smoke:

...I really like this AGP though. I like the QD attach points. Is there an Ace model that has QD attach points?

Iirc, there's at least 2.

PA,

I'm sure that stock is comfy and functional, but I don't think I could get past the look of it. It's just not my cup of tea. Now the handguard, that's a keeper for sure. I assume that is one of the Lonestar units, right? Looks awesome, what I can see of it anyway, full pic? I need a vertical mill....

PA,

I'm sure that stock is comfy and functional, but I don't think I could get past the look of it. It's just not my cup of tea...

That's ironic, since I feel the opposite way; I don't especially like the look of the AGP but really like my Ace. It's definitely function over form with my stock, and I like the versatility of the design, (cut to desired length, fold to either side, etc). As I said before, one of the great things about these guns is the number of options there are for stocks, sights, etc, etc. To each his own.

...Now the handguard, that's a keeper for sure. I assume that is one of the Lonestar units, right? Looks awesome, what I can see of it anyway, full pic? I need a vertical mill....

handguard1.jpg

handguard2.jpg

handguard3.jpg

Yep, that's a Lone Star Arms custom handguard, and the design is copyrighted.. so if you make one, don't make it too similar.

• 6 months later...

Wow, that is a nice stock. I don't mind the right side fold since I would not shoot it folded anyways. I would get it for it's compactness in transporting or carrying. My only concern is the poly folder button. I wonder if they sell just the button in case you wear out the original. Not to say it would wear out but I tend to abuse my guns. :lolol:

BTW: What is the length of pull?

Edited by RABIDFOX50

Wow, that is a nice stock. I don't mind the right side fold since I would not shoot it folded anyways. I would get it for it's compactness in transporting or carrying. My only concern is the poly folder button. I wonder if they sell just the button in case you wear out the original. Not to say it would wear out but I tend to abuse my guns. :lolol:

BTW: What is the length of pull?

LOP is 12 3/8" with no pad and the stock is about 9" long while measuring from the end of the receiver. I think it is perfect without the pad. I have a long reach, but like things tucked in close.

evl,

Nice looking Stock, when its unfolded. Then again who cares what it looks like right before you jump from a Plane or right before you deploy from a humvee. If it folded to the left maybe I would get one.

Every time I open my safe, I see my favorite S12 sitting there waiting on a trunnion to be sent out for hardening. There is an Arsenal poly folder waiting to be installed that folds to the left. For the money and the minimal effort of cutting the tang, the AGP folder is a great stock. as I have said before, if the ACE unit had more sling mounting options, I would go with it. Until then, the AGP is a good option.