Problems.... Tromix trugger guard and Gogun puck

Sorry, I know it is spelled 'trigger'. I type blind.

I went to the range yesterday and had some issues. On one of my S12s, I had installed a Tapco AK grip, with my Tromix trugger guard, and swapped out my stock puck for a Gogun (ETAC) puck (the copy of the original, not the Twister). This particular weapon was having an FTF on just about every mag. It ran excellent at the last trip, so I decided to take the Chaos puck out of the other Saiga to see if the new puck was the problem. The Gogun puck didn't go in the weapon very easy and it was even worse getting it out. I ended up having to tap it out with a brass tipped wooden rod. The Chaos puck dropped right in and came out easy with no cleaning, so I am confident that it wasn't a fouling issue. After I got home, I mic'd the new puck and it is only about 0.002 larger in diameter than the stock pucks I have. I did notice that the Gogun puck has an extremely sharp edge at the front and all of the other edges are sharp except the rear edge. After I installed the Chaos puck, it ran great.... until the trigger guard started causing problems. Anyone else have this kind of issue with the ETAC/Gogun pucks?

Now for the trigger guard issue. Is it a no-no to use a Tapco AK grip with a Tromix trigger guard. If so, then it is my mistake. Anyway, after about 30 rounds the BHO was mysteriously engaging and I noticed the grip was getting loose, so I tightened it a little. After about 20 more rounds it got loose again and the BHO was engaging. I tightened it again. Now the trigger would not release the hammer because the trigger guard was stopping it just before the trigger would release the hammer. I took the grip off and the trigger guard was bent, so I tried to bend it back to it's original state and noticed that the guard is really easy to bend. I have never seen a trigger guard that was this easy to bend. Aren't they supposed to be almost like spring steel? All of the stock trigger guards I have worked with were extrememly hard to reshape or bend. Is this common for the Tromix DIY trigger guards? The only previous modification I did to the Tromix guard was removing the grip nut so I could use a traditional grip nut configuration. Can I heat this guard until it glows and then cool it fast to achieve some hardening? I have already reshaped the trigger guard and would like to keep it, just because I'm a cheap bastard. Or.... should I toss this guard and find a stock guard for this weapon. I don't get to the range a lot and it is frustrating to deal with issues like this when I just want to go fire a few rounds. I am aware that Tromix puts out great products and stands behind them too. I'm not sure if this particular guard didn't get properly hardened before it went out the door or if I screwed up by using the standard AK type grip. Any suggestions?

The good news is, I managed to get one decent video clip of this gun between the puck and trigger guard issues.... and the other S12 ran great. I will post links to a couple short clips later.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I had a couple of customers that had the same problem with the DIY kits, I had one fail on me when I did a conversion for a customer it just snapped.

I would recommend having a weld on style guard installed that will resolve all you problems. Currently all the builds we are doing we use only Solid Steel trigger guards mainly because of liability and the extreme use and abuse of law enforcement.

I had a couple of customers that had the same problem with the DIY kits, I had one fail on me when I did a conversion for a customer it just snapped.

I would recommend having a weld on style guard installed that will resolve all you problems. Currently all the builds we are doing we use only Solid Steel trigger guards mainly because of liability and the extreme use and abuse of law enforcement.

I just tried to harden this Tromix guard a little and it seems stiffer. I'll try this guard again and see what happens. My other S12 had the stock guard welded on and it broke loose where the rear attaches. I tapped the reciever and it is GTG. I want another stock trigger guard if this one bends again. Drill, tap, and Loctite.

Wow!

Now that is some good customer service.... fast too. email sent....

Everyone has a mistake or an issue now and then, but what separates the good guys from the bad guys is what they do about the problem.... if anything. Thank you ETAC!

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I'm not sure if this particular guard didn't get properly hardened before it went out the door or if I screwed up by using the standard AK type grip. Any suggestions?

The DIY guard can only be used with the SAW grip. If you use a AK grip, when you tighten the screw it pulls the guard out of shape. A screw has a lot of leverage.

I'm not sure if this particular guard didn't get properly hardened before it went out the door or if I screwed up by using the standard AK type grip. Any suggestions?

The DIY guard can only be used with the SAW grip. If you use a AK grip, when you tighten the screw it pulls the guard out of shape. A screw has a lot of leverage.

I figured that. I just don't care for the SAW grip. There's just something about it that I don't like the look of. I reshaped the guard so it rests flat against the grip like a standard trigger guard and made an attempt at hardening it. It seems a little stiffer now. I just cold blued it and it looks ok. I didn't want to invest a lot of effort into finishing it in case it gives up again. If a Tromix guard and a standard guard had a baby.... that is what it looks like, kinda funky, lol. I'll take it to the range again and see what happens. I noticed that my new stock absorbs a lot of recoil at that point but increases the amount of felt recoil at the pistol grip. That may have hastened the failure. I appreciate the reply.

I previously cut off the grip nut on the DIY unit and was using a traditional grip screw and nut configuration when this happened.

I went to the range yesterday and had some issues. On one of my S12s, I had installed a Tapco AK grip, with my Tromix trugger guard, and swapped out my stock puck for a Gogun (ETAC) puck (the copy of the original, not the Twister). This particular weapon was having an FTF on just about every mag. It ran excellent at the last trip, so I decided to take the Chaos puck out of the other Saiga to see if the new puck was the problem. The Gogun puck didn't go in the weapon very easy and it was even worse getting it out. I ended up having to tap it out with a brass tipped wooden rod. The Chaos puck dropped right in and came out easy with no cleaning, so I am confident that it wasn't a fouling issue. After I got home, I mic'd the new puck and it is only about 0.002 larger in diameter than the stock pucks I have. I did notice that the Gogun puck has an extremely sharp edge at the front and all of the other edges are sharp except the rear edge. After I installed the Chaos puck, it ran great.... until the trigger guard started causing problems. Anyone else have this kind of issue with the ETAC/Gogun pucks?

Now for the trigger guard issue. Is it a no-no to use a Tapco AK grip with a Tromix trigger guard. If so, then it is my mistake. Anyway, after about 30 rounds the BHO was mysteriously engaging and I noticed the grip was getting loose, so I tightened it a little. After about 20 more rounds it got loose again and the BHO was engaging. I tightened it again. Now the trigger would not release the hammer because the trigger guard was stopping it just before the trigger would release the hammer. I took the grip off and the trigger guard was bent, so I tried to bend it back to it's original state and noticed that the guard is really easy to bend. I have never seen a trigger guard that was this easy to bend. Aren't they supposed to be almost like spring steel? All of the stock trigger guards I have worked with were extrememly hard to reshape or bend. Is this common for the Tromix DIY trigger guards? The only previous modification I did to the Tromix guard was removing the grip nut so I could use a traditional grip nut configuration. Can I heat this guard until it glows and then cool it fast to achieve some hardening? I have already reshaped the trigger guard and would like to keep it, just because I'm a cheap bastard. Or.... should I toss this guard and find a stock guard for this weapon. I don't get to the range a lot and it is frustrating to deal with issues like this when I just want to go fire a few rounds. I am aware that Tromix puts out great products and stands behind them too. I'm not sure if this particular guard didn't get properly hardened before it went out the door or if I screwed up by using the standard AK type grip. Any suggestions?

The good news is, I managed to get one decent video clip of this gun between the puck and trigger guard issues.... and the other S12 ran great. I will post links to a couple short clips later.

Was the Puck installed backwards? The gogun Puck goes in with the LOGO side toward the bolt carrier unlike some of the competitors pucks that install with the reduced end toward the bolt.

Edited by sure2survive

Was the Puck installed backwards? The gogun Puck goes in with the LOGO side toward the bolt carrier unlike some of the competitors pucks that install with the reduced end toward the bolt.

The puck was installed with the sharpest edge (with the logo) toward the gas port, just like all of the others I have (Russian, Chaos). I don't think it would have mattered which way it went in. It was extremely tight. They are sending me another free of charge. Stand up company in my opinion.

I previously cut off the grip nut on the DIY unit and was using a traditional grip screw and nut configuration when this happened.

It sounds like you heavily modified the part, but if you really think the original part was defective email tony and plead your case. Considering that the part was used in a totally different way than the design called for, it may be a hard sell. Good luck.

It sounds like you heavily modified the part, but if you really think the original part was defective email tony and plead your case. Considering that the part was used in a totally different way than the design called for, it may be a hard sell. Good luck.

BA,

I don't know if I would say it was defective since I don't have another Tromix DIY guard to compare it to. I can only say that it bends really easy compared to the stock Saiga guard on my other S12 and the stock guard that I reworked on a Norinco AK Hunter comversion that I did. Are they supposed to be that soft and easy to bend? I understand that I used it without the grip nut portion and that wasn't how it was designed to be used. Do all of the different models of Tromix guards come from the same stock? Just wondering if they are all the same in the stiffness aspect. I really liked the way it looked and was quite proud of it, but the bending was disappointing. Again, I used it like it was a standard guard and that may have caused the problem. After the bending, I reworked the shape of it so it would work better with the standard grip. It looks wierd because the back half looks like a traditional guard and the front half looks Tromix. I think it may be growing on me though, lol. I can really tighten the grip well now and the guard doesn't budge, but I haven't taken it to the range yet. If the Tromix guards are supposed to be as stiff as a stock guard I would be interested in a replacement or purchasing another one, but if they are soft like this one I couldn't justify bothering with it. Please understand, I'm not trying to bash your product, I know you guys have been around for a long time and absolutely know what you are doing. It just puzzles me that this guard bent so easy. I was firing 2 3/4" Winchester Universal bulk pack birdshot when it happened. I posted a couple mag dump videos and I only got one good video of the weapon with the Tromix guard before it started bending and effecting the performance of the weapon. I have video of the guard after the issue. If you would like, I could send it to one of you in an email. I wouldn't be comfortable posting it here because I'm not completely sure who or what is at fault. I am a business owner too, and I wouldn't appreciate it because many would assume it was product failure even if it wasn't. FYI I am not in the weapons or weapon accessories business. Thank you for replying.

As I said, if you think you deserve to have it replaced, email Tony. He's the only one that can authorize it.

I'm not interested in pictures of this modified part. We have thousands of these guards in the field without any problems.

The puck was installed with the sharpest edge (with the logo) toward the gas port, just like all of the others I have (Russian, Chaos). I don't think it would have mattered which way it went in. It was extremely tight. They are sending me another free of charge. Stand up company in my opinion.

Yes it matters if you shoot the Saiga with the Twister Puck in backwards it peens the edge over and increases the diameter and makes the puck stick. The Flat side of Puck must go toward the push rod on the bolt carrier unlike other pucks that have the reduced end toward the push rod

Yes it matters if you shoot the Saiga with the Twister Puck in backwards it peens the edge over and increases the diameter and makes the puck stick. The Flat side of Puck must go toward the push rod on the bolt carrier unlike other pucks that have the reduced end toward the push rod

If you are going to reply to post and offer help/knowledge or whatever, please read and comprehend what is in the OP. I'm not trying to be a dick but.... This is the first part of the paragraph about the puck issue....

I went to the range yesterday and had some issues. On one of my S12s, I had installed a Tapco AK grip, with my Tromix trugger guard, and swapped out my stock puck for a Gogun (ETAC) puck (the copy of the original, not the Twister).

Edited by evlblkwpnz

If you are going to reply to post and offedr help/knowledge or whatever, please read and comprehend what is in the OP. I'm not trying to be a dick but.... This is the first part of the paragraph about the puck issue....

I went to the range yesterday and had some issues. On one of my S12s, I had installed a Tapco AK grip, with my Tromix trugger guard, and swapped out my stock puck for a Gogun (ETAC) puck (the copy of the original, not the Twister).

sorry for trying to be helpful!!!

If you are going to reply to post and offedr help/knowledge or whatever, please read and comprehend what is in the OP. I'm not trying to be a dick but.... This is the first part of the paragraph about the puck issue....

sorry for trying to be helpful!!!

No big deal. It's just that you were starting to confuse me until I read that last post.... then it was clear what was going on. I appreciate your willingness to reply and help.

As I said, if you think you deserve to have it replaced, email Tony. He's the only one that can authorize it.

I'm not interested in pictures of this modified part. We have thousands of these guards in the field without any problems.

BA,

I'm not worried about it. It seems that this was a fairly isolated incident and the use of a traditional grip was what caused the failure. My fault. This one may work fine now that it is a shape that is better suited for use of a standard grip.

First let me also applogize for any difficulties you had with the GoGun Puck. Hopefully you already have a replacement coming.

All GoGun and ETAC products have a satisfaction Gurantee.

That beeing said, with all (regardless of manufacturer) pucks a simple trick is to tilt the Gun back and forth BEFORE you load. You should be able to hear the puck clicking back and forth in Gas Tube. If not you MAY have problems.

About stamped Trigger Guards in General, I hope I can give some advice without stirring up a hornets nest. The discussion of stamped vs billet made Trigger Guards has been discussed to death on this forum. There are a small number of failures with stamped Trigger Gurads. As Bob Ash has so correctly pointed out they are most often due to user error or incorrect installation. Tromix makes a fine tried and true product.

However if you want Battle Tough, no failures for any reason go with a CNC billeted part. As I have pointed out in past, there are some situations where the TG takes ALL the recoil and failure is just not an option.

First let me also applogize for any difficulties you had with the GoGun Puck. Hopefully you already have a replacement coming.

That beeing said, with all (regardless of manufacturer) pucks a simple trick is to tilt the Gun back and forth BEFORE you load. You should be able to hear the puck clicking back and forth in Gas Tube. If not you MAY have problems.

About stamped Trigger Guards in General, I hope I can give some advice without stirring up a hornets nest. The discussion of stamped vs billet made Trigger Guards has been discussed to death on this forum. There are a small number of failures with stamped Trigger Gurads. As Bob Ash has so correctly pointed out they are most often due to user error or incorrect installation. Tromix makes a fine tried and true product.

However if you want Battle Tough, no failures for any reason go with a CNC billeted part. As I have pointed out in past, there are some situations where the TG takes ALL the recoil and failure is just not an option.

On the guard, Tony emailed me and said that the new guards are much stiffer than the older ones, but it is still best to use the SAW grip with them. I screwed up by using the traditional grip with it. I looked at your guards, but there was a particular view of it that I wanted to see and couldn't find on your site. I forget what it was. Can it be used without the built in grip nut? Tony is sending a takeoff guard to replace the Tromix guard I messed up. Stand up guy for sure, especially since the failure was my fault. I ordered another S12 and may go with something different on it as far as trigger guards go. Is your guard the same width as a traditional guard? Do additional holes need to be drilled in the reciever?

The stock puck and the Chaos puck I have both rattle around in there pretty good and the weapon didn't miss a beat when I put the Chaos unit back in there. No big deal on the difficulties with the puck. I'm just glad I figured out what it was before I used up much more ammo, lol. The tolerance of what will go in and what will work properly is pretty close. I think this one is just ever so slightly too large. I would have to push it with my finger for it to move and there was no rattling around at all once I got it in. I'm just glad I got it out. I was getting scared for a minute there. I appreciate you sending me another one. Thank you for standing behind your product. Can't wait to put some wear on it.... ;)

On the guard, Tony emailed me and said that the new guards are much stiffer than the older ones, but it is still best to use the SAW grip with them. I screwed up by using the traditional grip with it. I looked at your guards, but there was a particular view of it that I wanted to see and couldn't find on your site. I forget what it was. Can it be used without the built in grip nut? Tony is sending a takeoff guard to replace the Tromix guard I messed up. Stand up guy for sure, especially since the failure was my fault. I ordered another S12 and may go with something different on it as far as trigger guards go. Is your guard the same width as a traditional guard? Do additional holes need to be drilled in the reciever?

The stock puck and the Chaos puck I have both rattle around in there pretty good and the weapon didn't miss a beat when I put the Chaos unit back in there. No big deal on the difficulties with the puck. I'm just glad I figured out what it was before I used up much more ammo, lol. The tolerance of what will go in and what will work properly is pretty close. I think this one is just ever so slightly too large. I would have to push it with my finger for it to move and there was no rattling around at all once I got it in. I'm just glad I got it out. I was getting scared for a minute there. I appreciate you sending me another one. Thank you for standing behind your product. Can't wait to put some wear on it.... ;)

Always glad to hear new things are stronger than old and for sure Tony is standup guy.

I think one problem all us parts manufacturers have is that it is just not certain how they will be acually installed. Believe me even experienced gunsmiths do odd things sometimes.

We make a few flavors of TG but all are billet with monolithic nut, so no you cant use ours without the nut. If you dont like the SAW grip there are lots of variants for AK Saiga grips which will likely fit any AK compatible grip nut. Our TG is approximately same width as OEM but actually many of dimensions are much larger. There are plenty of good pics of it on our web site.

If you are looking for advice on parts I would Strongly Suggest Carolina Shooter or Mississipi Auto Arms. They both have a good stock of ours and other manufacturers parts and are extremely knowlegeable about all manufacturers not just ours. Both have super service.

Edited by Rabid Robert
  • 4 weeks later...

Tromix sent me a trigger guard free of charge.... and quickly. He didn't even have to as my error was the cause of the failure. Thank you Tony. Your effort is greatly appreciated.

ETAC/GOGUN has not made good on the "100% satisfaction guarantee" for the out-of-spec puc. Not my fault and not sure what to think about the guarantee.... It has been a month since first communication and the last communication was 4/26 stating it was on the way. Am I being impatient?

Anyone else have problems with out-of-spec ETAC/GOGUN pucs or other ETAC/GOGUN products? Did they handle their business and stand behind the product? I'm just trying to figure out whether I should forget about them sending a replacement puc and buy someone elses product.