Well wanted to start off with a thumbs up on the site looks great I'm a new Saiga-12 owner. I have not shot the gun as I picked it up today. I bought 6 10 round Pro Mags any advice on them on how they perform. The mags seem a bit tight. I know there new I removed the bottom foot plate and oiled the sides of them. They seem to feed a bit better any advice . Thanks

Well wanted to start off with a thumbs up on the site looks great I'm a new Saiga-12 owner. I have not shot the gun as I picked it up today. I bought 6 10 round Pro Mags any advice on them on how they perform. The mags seem a bit tight. I know there new I removed the bottom foot plate and oiled the sides of them. They seem to feed a bit better any advice . Thanks

The main issue with the stick mags is too soft of materials. The rear spring steel feed lips collapse the mouth in & cause drag on shells like this.

post-19652-12711308352501_thumb.jpg

This mag had been problematic due to to narrow of an interior diameter.

The problem was fixed by inserting a small hammers handle into the magazine body, twisting the handle, so as to spread the mag a touch (to be the same ID as the Russian 5 round mag) & boiling it for approximately 10 seconds.

I let it cool with the hammer handle still inserted, so it would not collapse back while cooling.

I also had to spread the spring steel reinforcement / guide at the rear of the mag, to reduce pressure & prevent the guide from re-collapsing the mag body over time.

Also, I stretched the mag spring to be about 6" longer (uncompressed) to increase it's power to be equal with the other mags (I've had all of them)

To fix the follower from raising too high, do the same (inserting something slightly larger & boiling for 5 seconds) to the follower to make the follower's runners stay in the guide channels inside the mag.

This was done after the test & worked on a later test.

ProMag must improve the rigidity of their product in order for them to be dependable in my opinion.

But I fixed it, & another member that I sold it to still uses it.

I would personally avoid their stick mags for HD or SD, but they are nice "looking" for the range.

Buy a couple Russian 8s for SHTF scenarios.

Edited by Paulyski

I would have to agree. The pro mags might be ok for the range but get your hands on some reliable mags. The Russian 8 round mags are the best mags out now imo. At $100 plus per mag they get pricey. I just bought more than I needed and sold the rest on this site for a small profit. That made the cost of the mags I kept tolerable. I would advise you to get one or more MD 20 drum(s) and be on the look out for new mags from MD and Chaos

ProMag stick mags have a horrible reputation. There's a few here who use them and they work fine, from what they say. The majority though (including myself) have had nothing but problems with them.

You already have them in hand, so you might as well see how they do. Otherwise, I'd recommend sticking to Surefires or AGP's for your stickmag needs. There's also a vendor or two here, who are in the process of making steel stick mags and/or double stack mags. Keep an eye out for those.

FWIW, those members here who have ventured into the ProMag drum world as of recently, have had good reports about the drum mags they've acquired.

Maybe one day ProMag will turn their attention to fixing the products they already had out on the market, before they start spitting out new stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Paulyski

I would like to thank you for the helpful post. I did grease the mag to help the shells not get jammed up. I know over time that is going to cause a issue with dirt and dust to cause them to jam up more . I will try the hammer handle as it makes more senses.

welcome to the site new guy, couple of things you need to know to get along here

first is pro-mags are like mopeds both are fun to use till your friends see you with one.

I would get the grease and oil out and see if you can find some silicone spray.

pro-mags take a little extra effort to get them to run

but usually you save more than enough to cover the cost of the beer you drink while you work on them.

welcome to the site new guy, couple of things you need to know to get along here

first is pro-mags are like mopeds both are fun to use till your friends see you with one.

I would get the grease and oil out and see if you can find some silicone spray.

pro-mags take a little extra effort to get them to run

but usually you save more than enough to cover the cost of the beer you drink while you work on them.

Thanks for the welcome. Silicone spray does sound a bit better then grease. I looked into the mag a bit more the past 30 mins after my post. I removed the spring and ran a shell in the mag to see were it was getting hanged up. The shell look clear for more then half of the mag. I did notice as the shell got closer to the top like 1 and a half inches it hanged a bit. I got a fine file to remove a bit of the inter mag . I made sure I took plastic off both inter sides. This did improve the feed of the shells however I have not tried any of the mag because I just got the Saiga 12 last week. I will keep you guys posted thanks again.

might want to use some fine sandpaper after-wards to smooth / polish the plastic.

don't get carried away those tracks guide the rim of the case

and depending on how they (the mags) run in use

a little wear and tear will smooth (widen) them anyway.