hello everyone, i am about to pcs from fort hood to fort drum in new york, and i want to take my guns, but can i?? whats the new york laws? i just wanna take my s308 and my s12 and they are both converted. i have never registered my guns on post as living in texas gun laws are very leaniant. do the state gun laws apply on a military post??

I believe in NY you cannot have a shotgun with a pistol grip and detachable mags. That's why most of the New Yorkers have thumbhole stocks. They also have a limit on mag capacity there. Gather more info from a NY resident like Indyarms, Nailbomb, Shooter, to name a few.

I'm at Drum now, converted S12's are not legal in NY unless they have the thumbhole stock as far as I know. Factory non-converted S12's are legal. The px has one in stock.

I'm at Drum now, converted S12's are not legal in NY unless they have the thumbhole stock as far as I know. Factory non-converted S12's are legal. The px has one in stock.

so how do ya like drum, i need to deploy again is why i picked it, so i can just put one of my psl stocks on and be good?

On semi-auto shotguns, you're allowed 1 of the following super evil features:

* A fixed magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds

* A folding or telescoping stock

* A pistol grip

* The ability to accept a detachable magazine

Given that the S12 can accept a detachable mag, that's your 1 evil feature. None of the others are allowed.

-------------------------------------------------

No detachable mags/drums of any kind, for any gun, over 10 rounds, unless they're pre-ban mags. A mag that holds 10 or less rounds is legal all the way around.

-------------------------------------------------

On semi-auto, detachable mag-fed rifles, you're allowed 1 of the following super evil features:

* A pistol grip

* A flash hider or a threaded barrel that can readily accept a flash hider or suppressor

* A folding or telescoping stock

* A bayonet lug

* A grenade launcher

---------------------------------------------------

That should cover you, as far as you're S12 and S.308. There might be an exemption for active-duty military. I'm not 100% sure. But I do know that Police Officers and anyone with a "Peace Officer" status are exempt from the AWB, as long as they have that job.

Edited by -Shooter-

There might be an exemption for active-duty military. I'm not 100% sure.

there isn't, that was the first thing I search for in NY law, when he posted that he was active duty going to be assigned to NYS. it's funny, because Ca. does allow AD military personel to bring their privetly owned weapons (POW) that are classified as "AW", and who are not residence of Ca, by first registering it with the Ca. DOJ before bringing it. NYS does not have that exemption.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

there isn't, that was the first thing I search for in NY law, when he posted that he was active duty going to be assigned to NYS. it's funny, because Ca. does allow AD military personel to bring their privetly owned weapons (POW) that are classified as "AW", and who are not residence of Ca, by first registering it with the Ca. DOJ before bringing it. NYS does not have that exemption.

ugh damn yankees and their dumb ass laws, im never gonna get either one of them finished lol, what if i didnt take the bolt with me or something like that?

Edited by BROWNEYE

Figures.

ugh damn yankees and their dumb ass laws, im never gonna get either one of them finished lol, what if i didnt take the bolt with me or something like that?

That wouldn't do any good, unfortunately. If they have more than the allowed features listed above, it's still no-go in NY, even if it's not actually functioning at the time.

NY doesn't sound very gun or military freindly.

.... and I was bitching about having to start an NFA trust because the local sheriff won't do signoffs....

small beans compared to the BS goin on in NY.

New Yorkers,

FL is in the top 2 states for foreclosures and houses are cheap right now. Get the hell outta there and come where you can own a well set up weapon!

Good luck with NY, my buddy who moved to CA indefinitely ask me to keep most of his guns for him; if you have a family member or friend you trust with them, that may be a good option. Otherwise, you may wind up spending a lot of cash to convert them to NY compliance.