That receiver is the standard PSL receiver. The receiver I used was a square back receiver like a standard AK receiver. It is 1.5mm thick rather than 1mm thick so any stock you used must be narrowed up a little to fit in the receiver.

So where did you get the square back receiver from? Did you scratch build your PSL?

That receiver is the standard PSL receiver. The receiver I used was a square back receiver like a standard AK receiver. It is 1.5mm thick rather than 1mm thick so any stock you used must be narrowed up a little to fit in the receiver.

So where did you get the square back receiver from? Did you scratch build your PSL?

It's a Nodak receiver made for TGI. They are all out of them now though....makes me glad I got three. Now to find some more kits.

• 3 weeks later...

460lb? That's a whole lotta pork. Tell the youngster nice shooting for me!

Where'd you get the ammo? My PSL really hates the S&B 174gr match (overpressure primer extrusions to primer piercing), and I keep hearing that the receivers on PSLs aren't intended for 'heavy ball' - whatever bullet weight that is.

Some nice 150gr hunting rounds would be perfect.

460lb? That's a whole lotta pork. Tell the youngster nice shooting for me!

Where'd you get the ammo? My PSL really hates the S&B 174gr match (overpressure primer extrusions to primer piercing), and I keep hearing that the receivers on PSLs aren't intended for 'heavy ball' - whatever bullet weight that is.

Some nice 150gr hunting rounds would be perfect.

Thanks,I'll tell her.

For the ammo go to the gun broker and put Prvi Partizan at the search ,dont go over 150g. PSL dont like heavy bullets.

OxotaMay032.jpg

OxotaMay043.jpg

OxotaMay052.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread, guys.

I guess PSL not only a battle but a hunting rifle to :)

Edited by atakacorp
  • 1 month later...

Yeah the rims are the problem. Recoil tends to link the rims every so often, which would give you a phantom feed issue. The design must be such that the rims will unlink before reaching the top of the mag, I'd guess the PSL mag has something on the back to do that function.

Having handled and fired one, I see how it is designed. The feed lips force you to insert the cartridges from the front, so that the rims are properly stacked. The cartridges themselves each rest against the back of the magazine, which is curved so as to allow that. There is no special mechanism to unlink the cartridges, nor does one appear to be needed. I have never heard anyone complain of rimlock with PSLs, so it doesn't appear to be an issue. In short, there doesn't appear to be any big technical hurdles to overcome with this. Certainly, if you were to create 15-20 round mags for the PSL, you could sell a lot more than the 40 or 50 you are envisioning for the Saiga 100, and make a lot of people happy. A 20 round mag could turn the PSL into a viable MBR.

For my part, the only reason I haven't bought a PSL is on account of the 10 round limitation. It would be a no-brainer otherwise.

Jim

A 20 round mag could turn the PSL into a viable MBR.

For my part, the only reason I haven't bought a PSL is on account of the 10 round limitation. It would be a no-brainer otherwise.

What a difference a few hours and a 30 minute range session makes. I'm convinced that the PSL is not viable in an MBR role, even if it had a large capacity magazine. It is not capable of any sort of rapid fire without heating up really badly. As in, tons of steam coming out of the handguard area, handguard lamination melting badly after firing a small number of rounds slowly over 20 minutes or so, followed by 10 round rapid fire. ...

It's a great gun, for it's designed role. (Even when overheating, it put rounds right where they belonged). But I wanted it to be something it isn't...

Any idea what is causing the heat problem? Is the barrel thinner then the .308 or is it a lack of venting allowing the heat to build up?

The barrel is noticeably thinner than the Saiga 308 barrel. Some people have called it a noodle.

The handguard has very good venting, as you can see from the pictures below. It's obvious the designers had the heat problem in mind, but there was no real way to solve it except maybe thicken up the barrel (which would have made the gun even more front heavy that it already is).

gxpPDp0.jpg

b197309905.jpg

Edited by Jim Digriz

Yeah they had a light weight medium range rifle in mind. They have PKMs to throw lead in volume should they require more then 10 rounds on a target.

Perhaps a way of solving would be to attach cooling fins to the barrel and use a even more open hand guard. I do know that the barrel of my .308 gets hot enough to burn skin in 20 rounds, the laminate melting does sound a good deal hotter then that.

Perhaps a way of solving would be to attach cooling fins to the barrel and use a even more open hand guard. I do know that the barrel of my .308 gets hot enough to burn skin in 20 rounds, the laminate melting does sound a good deal hotter then that.

I am wondering now what kind of sustained fire the Saiga 308 is capable of. At what point does the handguard get too hot to handle, or begin to melt? (And how much does venting help?). Has anyone torture tested the thing?

The more I think about it, the more it seem that the Saiga 308 would run a lot hotter than the intermediate caliber weapons. Even if it had an Ultimak, it might actually get too hot for the optic.

Is the Saiga 308 capable of a sustained firefight without serious problems developing?

Edited by Jim Digriz

I think the most I have shot out of my .308 was 80 rounds in 5 mins. At that point it smelled like burning plastic, however there was no melting when I took the handguard off. One other time I shot 200 rounds inside of an hour, I was at a rifle range with a no rapid fire rule and ceasefires every so often.

The 5.45x39 is really bad, I have burned all the paint off my barrel several times. I burned my crap wood handguard to the point of fire pouring out. I switched to a metal handguard and cool with a spray bottle of water in between mags.

I'm not a fan of optics above my barrels because of how hot they get.

I think the most I have shot out of my .308 was 80 rounds in 5 mins. At that point it smelled like burning plastic, however there was no melting when I took the handguard off.

That's a substantial improvement over the PSL. My range session yesterday had 55 rounds over about 20-25 minutes. I shot about 25 at a pretty slow pace, then the line went cold so we could change targets and pick up shell casings. After that, I slow fired another 10 for precision, did 10 standing careful shots, and then rapid fired 10 from a standing position. At this point there was lots of sizzling, and ooey-gooey laminate getting everywhere (including inside the gun).

The 5.45x39 is really bad, I have burned all the paint off my barrel several times. I burned my crap wood handguard to the point of fire pouring out.

What kind of a course of fire produced these results? My 5.45 rifles heat up a good bit, but I've yet to see anything like this.

Yeah that sounds like about the same kind of temp. If I was thinking DMR with either rifle I'd probably go with a floating very well vented metal handguard. It would probably help cool down.

Well my 5.45 is a WASR-2 which has a thinner barrel then the saiga (from what I know). I have a couple 60 round mags for it and that bump stock thing I made a few years ago. So 90-120 rounds inside of a few mins. The smoke in the video is actually plastic from a gun case that got melted on the time before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQK360y9QI

Any idea what is causing the heat problem? Is the barrel thinner then the .308 or is it a lack of venting allowing the heat to build up?

The barrel is noticeably thinner than the Saiga 308 barrel. Some people have called it a noodle.

The handguard has very good venting, as you can see from the pictures below. It's obvious the designers had the heat problem in mind, but there was no real way to solve it except maybe thicken up the barrel (which would have made the gun even more front heavy that it already is).

gxpPDp0.jpg

b197309905.jpg

i posted this clip before but decided to repost it for those who didnt c 8) ....

thats in regards to thinner barrel >>> watch the PSL barrel in slow mo

Edited by tuktuk

I am wondering now what kind of sustained fire the Saiga 308 is capable of. At what point does the handguard get too hot to handle, or begin to melt? (And how much does venting help?). Has anyone torture tested the thing?

The more I think about it, the more it seem that the Saiga 308 would run a lot hotter than the intermediate caliber weapons. Even if it had an Ultimak, it might actually get too hot for the optic.

Is the Saiga 308 capable of a sustained firefight without serious problems developing?

sorry Jim i had to post this after readin ur post 8)

Iirc, the reciever on the S.308 is heavier as well as the barrel. As was noted, the PSL was designed as a squad support weapon with it's counterpart being the PKM. AKs fill out the rest of the squad. Is't the Saiga built on the PKM(or similar) heavy reciever/barrel?

I would think that for an DMR the S.308 would be the better chioce. But for sniping/hunting, the PSL will beat it.

. My daughter got her first 460pound hog with Poly PSL Prvi Partizan 150g SP, 80 yards ,one shot through the heart

OxotaMay013.jpg

Nice job, on both the gun and your daughter, raise'em right. :super:

Edited by BpS12