Well, I've always wanted one ever since I saw the movie "

"... any of you salty old dogs out there got any advice ins/outs of what to look for????
  • 2 weeks later...

I think...if a crafty business wise group of fellas were to begin producing NEW out of circulation firearms, they'd make a killing. The Broomhandle, the 1887, the Webley etc. I'd love to have a Broomhandle, but Twinsen ain't kidding, I'd prefer not to mortgage my home to have one! Lol. If someone would just produce new ones with some design fixes, and some new P-38s I'd be thrilled.

Make sure you check the bore. Almost every C96 I've seen has little or no rifling. I've got a late 20's bolo, and I bought it knowing it was essentially a smoothbore. It keyholes at five feet, and I'm not exaggerating. I bought it as a non-functional wall-hanger and restored it to the point where it will cycle (although I initially tested it with some S&B 7.62x25 - not too bright, but it worked). 7.63 Mauser can be a bit tough to come by, though Aim Surplus usually carries Prvi Partizan for about fifteen bucks a box.

Also look out for Chinese fakes - there are some guides around on the net that can help you spot them. Although if you want something a little exotic, there are Chinese made copies in .45ACP you can find floating around every now and again in the $900-$1400 range, usually. Good luck finding stripper clips for those, though.

There are also some Spanish-made weapons that are very similar to the C96, although they aren't direct clones - I know that the takedown is different, but I'm not sure what else differs.

They're a hoot; if you get a chance to pick one up at a fair price, go for it. It's fun to own and fire the world's first mass-produced auto-loading pistol.

As for having to take out a loan to get one, they aren't that bad unless you want one in superb condition. If you want a shooter, the prices aren't terrible. I spent less than three hundred bucks for mine, and only about another hundred to get it into operating condition.