Buying my "Black Betty" a new dress.....

Evening Gents....

A few days ago, I picked up my latest Russian beauty......a Saiga 223 with Bulgy furniture, gas block, gas tube, Tapco FCG, Bulgy FSB and Bulgy 74 muzzle break. She has dimples and is slotted for a lower HG retainer (though she's currently wearing one of Dinzag's HG retainers). Will likely swap out furniture for K-Var stuff, as well as a couple other parts to help with 922. As it is, I think I need to run with U.S. mags, which I have. Here's a pick he took of her before sending her to me. Not sure on 922 status when he took pic:

S-223copy.jpg

Well, after taking her to the range, I'm in LOVE!!! :wub:

Her sights were dead on, she doesn't kick AT ALL, I couldn't get her to jam and she took it all in stride and asked for more. LOL The whole time I was shooting her, I had that song "Black Betty" in my head. I wasn't even thinking of it when I pulled the trigger the first time, but immediately it came to mind. Maybe she was whispering it. :lolol:

So it only seemed natural to call her "Black Betty". :smoke:

Well, she wants me to get her 10 or so Bulgy Circle 10 mags. I told her she'd need a new stock, HG and maybe gas piston in order to use those. She seems attached to her 74 break though, so that might stay for now. Still undecided on a grip. Traditional popsicle stick or maybe a SAW? Perhaps an Izzy or Galil grip?

Anyway, I ran across a Website that lets you interchange gun parts to see a design concept of your weapon. I put together a few pics. I just put an Aimpoint T-1 on my Ultimak outfitted Draco and love it. So I'm thinking of the same thing for Betty. It's either that or a side mounted scope like the Kobra.

223CONCEPT2.jpg

Might get her a Bulgy side folder. Might just keep her solid for now. Not really sure. I'm open to suggestions though.

Thoughts?

Corbin

*UPDATE*

Here's a pic I just took of her with a SAW grip and a rubber plug on her charging handle:

Bettygrass.jpg

plug-1.jpg

Not sure on the SAW grip, but right now she's just "trying stuff on". :rolleyes: Though she wants Bulgy mags, she's currently using a Pro Mag.

Edited by Corbin

Nice!

The triangle side and full poly folders are awesome, but you'll need to do some work on the rear trunnion and modify the receiver for the release button. They are also expensive!

DPH makes a Chinese copy which is kind of cool, don't know if it's your style.

I've tried a bunch of different grips, the Bulgarian RPK/SAW from Arsenal is hard to beat. Provides a good fit and gripping surface and doesn't look out of place on an AK unlike some of the newer grips. Unfortunately, it's not US if you need it for 922. MD Arms also makes a nice sturdy grip but I'm not overly fond of the finger grooves.

She's pretty sexy already. I don't think I would put any more clothes on her at all... :devil:

Some might actually COME OFF!!! :smoke: At least for a little bit until she decides what to replace them with. Something like a gas piston wouldn't make a visual difference. Just so long as she'd stay reliable. Not willing to sacrifice reliability.

Just playing around with more ideas. Photoshop and MS Paint are a good thing. :rolleyes:

223CONCEPT35.jpg

The website didn't have a SAW grip, so I made one. Same thing with the 74 style flash hider. I made the center one with the Accessory Arms triangle non-folding stock.

The other option for the flashlight could be to mount it before the Aimpoint:

223CONCEPT4.jpg

Edited by Corbin

Actually, I'm glad you posted these. I'm going with the triangle side folder and the Magpul AFG also... Visualizing it just confirmed my decision. Thanks! BTW, I'm running an Ergo PG on mine, and LOVE it! I also have a Vortex flash hider (tuned down and threaded to AR dimensions). I'm running an EOTech 511 now, but that's proving a little bulky and unwieldy in training, so that Aimpoint may be a viable option as well.

This is a purpose built CQC weapon, and that is the way I envision it being best.

Welcome to the Saiga 5.56 world!

Edited by bohound

Corbin, does your black betty have a zig zag brake on it? If so, I think I know where you got her from. She was known as the Russian Princess on the Calguns forum.

Yes, that's a zig zag brake. Got it from a forum member in TX.

*UPDATE* She's now 922 compliant with K-Var furniture and flash hider. :super: Now she can use Bulgy circle 10 mags. She's happy.

Edited by Corbin

Very nice ! I have its 7.62x39 twin with OD Green furniture and love it. Man,that is one accurate AK ! I recently added a Hogue AK grip to mine and it rocks ! :super:

I almost went with OD furniture, but that didn't go with the whole "Black Betty" thing. I was at Brian's/Dinzag's place the other night and he told me he likes the feel of the Hogue grips. I had a revolver with them once and they were comfortable. We'll have to see what Betty likes though. :rolleyes:

Right now I'm fitting 8 Bulgarian Circle 10 mags. The first one I did was a bit loose, but I'm getting the hang of it. Slow and steady pays off here.