Retro or Modern which one are you?

Having said that, I don't have red dots and forward grips and stuff all over it. I keep it simple and that works well for me and I think ti works for this platform. These things aren't light to begin with so I try to keep it slim for all day carrying.

Ultimak + Aimpoint Micro adds less than 6 ounces to the gun. Other than those two additions, I keep it pretty simple. I sold off my Tech Sights, Krebs sight, Krebs safety, and gave up on a bunch of other stuff I had planned to add.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am practical, I could care less when a good idea was originated. On the other hand, I have no problem with the direction that someone else takes their firearm.

I like em tactical, old school and modern, and routinely switch between all 3                 Z

Somehow. . . your statement is just wrong in so many ways.  

Posted Images

Having said that, I don't have red dots and forward grips and stuff all over it. I keep it simple and that works well for me and I think ti works for this platform. These things aren't light to begin with so I try to keep it slim for all day carrying.

Ultimak + Aimpoint Micro adds less than 6 ounces to the gun.

that is the EXACT setup I have and LOVE it..

• 1 month later...

If i were the only one in house using them Retro... But to allow more versatility and comfort between users had to go modern,

That's why you gotta make one like mine, that's strictly yours! Anyone who dares to touch it gets their fingers chopped off (not literally of course, just to scare em) =]

• 2 weeks later...

You know, there should be a third category - cheap but practical semi-stock conversion. Pistol Grip, Buttstock, bullet guide, Tapco G2 FCG and a stock Saiga handguard! The handguard, retainer, gas tube, FSB, AK103 brake, etc, costs three times as much as everything behind the barrel. When I get a Saiga again, I may go that way. (I really liked the stock handguard with 7 3/8" holes drilled on each side. Very sleek and reminds me of a CETME or FAL handguard. It works well if you fabricate a heatshield in it.)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted retro on the 7.62x39.

It comes down to training. If you learn the AK system, it can be just as fast as the AR (or faster) for manual of arms without all the whistles and bells (magwell, left side charging handle, galil safety, etc.). It is just a matter of practicing and using the rifle as it was designed.

I used to lean more towards the modern, but the more and more I play with my AK's and AR's I hardly ever put the crap on them that I can. Getting too tactical gets bulky and heavy and is not a substitute for practice and training.

An AK is awesome and fully capable out to 300+ yards in its natural form. Putting a 20 power scope and 400 jigawatt pulsing laser sight isn't going to extend the capability of the weapons system even if it looks totally cool and impresses all our friends!

I am coming to learn that simplicity is beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess by my avatar you can tell what my vote was :rolleyes: yeah i like the classic AK look! when guy's say how ugly WASR AK's are, i think to myself thats why i love WASR's so much,i think they scream classic AK-47! so ugly so imperfect so crude! but so bad ass and so functional, i have spent a couple hundred dollars to make my saiga X39 look like a classic AK .

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a Saiga x39 from MAA today.

Torn between classic wood in Russian Red, or new polymer in Dark Earth.

The only accessories to go on it, if at all, would definitely be Tritium night sights & TLR-1, and possibly a PA Micro.

Just purchased a Saiga x39 from MAA today.

Torn between classic wood in Russian Red, or new polymer in Dark Earth.

The only accessories to go on it, if at all, would definitely be Tritium night sights & TLR-1, and possibly a PA Micro.

Check out my thread on this if FDE is in the running.

Classic Wood is going to be really sexy, but will cost considerably more than the route I took.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I did neither.

A sudden bout of Black Rifle Disease struck me and in my delirium I apparently placed a order with CSS.

Done for now, but will likely do something more for the forearm, perhaps a Midwest Industries AK quad rail.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/popup.cfm?type=i&id=products/mi_ak4774hndgrdpu.gif

100_9089.jpg

574553055_2039670994_0.jpg

574552853_2039670242_0.jpg

Here are some mall ninjas for you. Just look at all the stupid, tacticool, mall ninja crap they have on their guns:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images-2/US-soldiers-in-iraq-3.jpg

When I watch the news, the guys getting slaughtered are the ones with simple, old fashioned AKs. The guys who do the slaughtering have ARs with all kinds of tacticool, mall ninja crap all over them, like fancy optics, lights, vertical grips, collapsing stocks, tactical slings, and stuff like that. They all have tactical slings; that's just a given now.

If you bought your rifle for the joy of shooting it, and you love your wood furniture, then I think that's great. If you live in the woods and you wanted a cool varmint gun, well you really couldn't have done better. I don't have a problem with any of that. I like shooting mine too. And I might try to take hogs with it, although that sounds iffy. But my rifle is getting a light and vertical grip on the bottom, a tactical sling on the side, and a forward mounted scope on top, because while I enjoy shooting my Saiga, I bought it for a reason. It'll probably never happen, but I know that I'm prepared if it does. I have an easier time getting on target with a scope because I grew up with them. Bad things tend to happen at night, that's why I want a flashlight. And the tactical sling improves offhand accuracy and allows you to carry your rifle wherever you go it also helps to compensate for all the stuff I've put on the end of my rifle.

Classic AKs are awesome. The guys in the desert with their classic AKs can't shoot worth a piss. US Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, and Sailors are badass. And I'm sure that just about everyone on this forum can out shoot the average insurgent. All I'm saying is that the guys who do the battle thing for a living and have funding or their own money tend to accessorize their weapons. And if you laugh at me because I'm a civilian and I want a cool battle rifle, then why do you have an AK47 in the first place?

• Like 1

I'm like many of the others riding the fence. One of the big reasons I like the Saiga is I don't think even stock it really looks like an ak-47. I've never really liked the wood look and the "over-under" front handguard (the two seperate pieces). But I also am unlikely to get rails on my Saiga (waiting on FFL holder to get it brought in).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, technically, I don't have my saiga yet, im in my waiting period here. But I will keep it as purchased, maybe some paint later. I keep most of my other weapons as i got em except for my mossberg500. That I had to make it look like the ones the local motorcycle cops here have. Just a pistol grip and folding stock and extension for that extra shot. I love the way the saiga looks as is. Plus I have no extra $$$

Well, technically, I don't have my saiga yet, im in my waiting period here. But I will keep it as purchased, maybe some paint later. I keep most of my other weapons as i got em except for my mossberg500. That I had to make it look like the ones the local motorcycle cops here have. Just a pistol grip and folding stock and extension for that extra shot. I love the way the saiga looks as is. Plus I have no extra $$$

You'll find that the performance of the Saiga as it comes to be rather upsetting. But it's your rifle and I wish you the best of luck with it.

why upsetting? Enlighten me please. This is my first "battle rifle" and will be used mostly as it was intended. I have my home protection, hunting, target shooting weapons already. The saiga will be mostly for urban assault on those zombies I have been hearing so much about. What mods would you recommend for somebody with limited $$ and little interest in bells and whistles all over my gun? I will most likely adapt for AK mags later and play with the sights but no scope, light, or lasers.

Factory Saigas are Russian versions of the Ruger Mini-30. Put a US handguard on it, and a Surefire 30 round (this meets USC 922R requirements) and you are good to go. They are not bad as is, it is just the heavy/mushy trigger pull caused by the trigger linkage system they have. Many people leave them as is. If you want a step up, but no "full restoration" get the Tapco T6 stock with grip. If you are not use to AK platforms with the FCG and grip moved forward already, it may not be bad for you. Don't worry about it. Enjoy it.

Yes, I have restored the Saigas I owned, but had a T6 Grip/stock on my first (a .223) and it was great with a Surefire 30 round. Many members here have gone that route and are happy with it. They just don't spout out because of the purists here that do full restorals (Sorry Post-A and Big Sal!!!!)

Edited by imarangemaster
  • 1 month later...

Open sights cannot be my primary sighting system, so an optic or aperture is absolutely necessary. I'll keep the open irons for backup if I can. I also think putting a modest flashlight on one's rifle is a wise choice if that rifle is to be thought of as a tool for helping handle dangerous situations. Having to point a gun to illuminate someone or something does violate firearm safety rules, but in such a situation the gun's operator's safety is also in jeopardy.

Other than that, I usually don't go for tactical stuff. I resisted turning my M4gery into a cheese grater for the longest time. After I eventually succumbed to what Freud might have called my "mall ninja id", I came back to my senses and just went with a plain free-float tube.

On the other hand, I did make a "tactical" Garand stock

Modern for me. 1. Not a big fan of wood. 2. I like all my guns to be battle-ready.

I want to be able to pick up the gun and know full well that it'll have the tools equipped to give me that extra advantage. Whether that be a red dot for quick target acquisition, a light for positive target identification, or a handstop to ensure that my grip is in the same spot every single time. Yes my AK looks mall-ninja'd out, but I didn't equip it for looks. Everything on my gun has a valid function, and much like a CCW, it's better to have it and not use it, then not have it when you really need it. I don't buy guns to frame them up on a wall. I don't collect guns like they were stamps or rare baseball cards. I buy guns to use, and use hard.

Edited by gundam83
  • 2 months later...

Just got mine today and it shoots great out of the box with no changes, will I leave it that way? I doubt it, the fun of these guns are the many and varied ways of making it your own personal battle rifle. "There are many like her, but this one is mine" :killer:

• Like 1