Retro or Modern which one are you?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am practical, I could care less when a good idea was originated. On the other hand, I have no problem with the direction that someone else takes their firearm.

I like em tactical, old school and modern, and routinely switch between all 3                 Z

Somehow. . . your statement is just wrong in so many ways.  

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Neither...both...perfectly willing to improve the firearm but not to make it a subject of vanity. Outside of the replacing those horrid blade sights with either aperture or optics and reducing recoil and flash whats there to do really?

• 11 months later...

I voted Modern as I'm a Bullpupper. But I must admit, I really like my Tobuk'd RPK with the wood fore end and wire folding stock. I love the irons on it as well. But that wont stop me from bullpping it. All I have to do is fold the stock and shoulder it, and I remember why I got it, lol.

gallery_15573_334_30066.jpg

post-15573-0-66533800-1318271735_thumb.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and most everyone on this forum seems to have a different looking gun. Ive tried both and ended up with classic style junkyard look. I like having a new gun on the inside but never worrying anymore about the outside. However you dress up a Saiga they all shoot mostly the same when you practice.

Hey Jeepville, If you don't mind 922 compliance you can find foreign made wood sets for cheaper.

Modern

IMG_6571-1.jpg

Classic

IMG_7011.jpg

I chose modern. Why? Because any Saiga that doesn't have the wood treatment is modern to me. With that said, I'm just starting in on my conversions. I will have one with a quadrail and adjustable stock (I have freakishly long arms), one will have a side folding stock and current poly AK furniture, and the final will be a full-on AK-47 with AK-74 improvements. I want to have parts that have the best functional parts. I still use the stock iron sights (mainly because I'm unsure what optics are best for the AK platform.

On a side note, my S12 will be completely tactical as it will be my "close range" personal home protection device. I'll forego the flashlight for a red dot so I can clearly see where each grouping will hit.

I guess I am a "Classic" fan. Although, I now have a set of black and wood fore grips for my Underfolder. I can change whenever I feel like it!

I'm in the same class. I have a set of tapco plastic with Magpul AFG, gas pedal, light, etc. And a Timbersmith black wood set. The wood set is classic enough, but more sleek, I think. I always have the Texas Weapon Systems dog leg rail with an optic tho, so I guess I never get fully classic.

My .223 is a tactical with Tapco and DPH furniture. However, my 5.45 is built like the classic AK74 with poly furniture. I would like to build a .308 and if I do, I think I will go with wood on it, so I guess I prefer the classic look.

Edited by THX1138

either or. depends on the gun. if its some frankenbuild, then whatever. otherwise i like it as historically accurate as i can get it. for example, im not throwing rails and plastic shit on my aksu build. and im not putting wood on my ak104 clone. my ak74 has an ak74m brake, so i wont put wood but ill go with plum since only the 74's got plum. oddly my historically innacurate bulgy 74 underfolder has some nice russian wood on it. i refuse to put any m4 looking stuff on any of them though, unless i do a strictly practicool build in the future...

Edited by m1lk

I didn't vote. I like both classic and new, but I go for mostly the tool owner category. For me the perfect long gun isn't long, it has a folder that may collapse, a good recoil management system, easy controls, and a decent scope that is cheap enough that you won't feel bad to have it bouncing around in a truck or boat. Oh, and it is stainless. That's where an AK falls short as a tool. I want a gun that can be handy in bad weather all the time without corroding. A place to mount a laser and a forward handle is a plus, but not required.

My second choice goes toward the competition guns because they are in some ways the most refined tools.

I don't really like the looks or ergonomics of the early combloc laminate most of the time, but I really like the look and feel of AK74 in solid wood or plastic. I put this wood on both of my S12s.

I think the Tabuk style set that IWD has in teak on their banner is one of the best looking setups I have seen.

I like the aesthetics of some of the tacticool rigs too, but I wouldn't use all that stuff. The rails look BA, but they aren't comfortable to hold and they are extra weight and cost. Not too big on the Ultimak, because I like a scope further back. Scout rifles just aren't my style.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted "modern" since that's the way my .223 is headed. But I would like to have a 7.62 to keep "retro".

If you go by caliber, "retro" is "modern"; e,g. the AK-103 is a fine rifle, and a more recent model than the AK-74M.

This poll is inherently flawed. A preference for AK-100 series rifles is definitely modern, but that series includes rifles chambered in 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 5.56x45.

*pew* *pew*, (5.56 and 5.45), or *bang* *bang*, (7.62), it's your choice. wink.png

At first I was all-

post-526-0-03359700-1334282163_thumb.jpg

But then I was all-

post-526-0-35797100-1334282235_thumb.jpg

But, (based on the pics), you were never all-

m580transferpk23pics025.jpg\

and

bakes6.jpg

...and that's where you should be; not regressing into Romanian AKM donkey-dick land. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

The donkey dick actually fits my hands -after removing a BUNCH of plywood! I didn't take pix of the before, because I did not think it would come out so nice. I am not a fan of VFG's but this just feels right.

post-526-0-08090900-1334324636_thumb.jpg

This shows the palm swell I sanded into the grip.

post-526-0-74877200-1334324775_thumb.jpg

The green polymer will go on a S-.223. Along with a nice muzzle brake.When ever funds will allow acquiring one.

By the way NICE rifle!

The donkey dick actually fits my hands -after removing a BUNCH of plywood! I didn't take pix of the before, because I did not think it would come out so nice. I am not a fan of VFG's but this just feels right.

post-526-0-08090900-1334324636_thumb.jpg

This shows the palm swell I sanded into the grip.

post-526-0-74877200-1334324775_thumb.jpg

The green polymer will go on a S-.223. Along with a nice muzzle brake.When ever funds will allow acquiring one...

That's cool. I used to like using the front of the mag as a fvg, before I tried using the "forward angled grip" on standard handguards, as shown in this clip of T Haley's Adaptive Kalash training vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2qTulXjoME

...along with the standard 2-point AK sling pictured, bracing my support elbow, for even greater stability. It's more comfortable and effective, (especially for maintaining aimed, rapid fire), than any fvg. wink.png

...By the way NICE rifle!

Thanks, man.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta say I enjoy the more modern ak's. I grew up with my father's AK and I was always trying to get him to change out the wooden stocks. I myself can't stand the old looking AK's. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own preference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...