My Saiga requires the rounded bullet guide, this much I know. Received guide today, have rifle apart. Hole in my guide is offset, is "stepped" to fit under barrel. Question; just center guide in front of barrel and thats where hole goes? Guide can go left or right quite a bit, nothing holding it near where I think center should be. Going to drill it at work tomm, want the hole to go where it belongs.

thanks. My handguard is held on by what looks like a rivet, no screw, face is recessed and flat, not going to mess with it for now. odd?

My Saiga requires the rounded bullet guide, this much I know. Received guide today, have rifle apart. Hole in my guide is offset, is "stepped" to fit under barrel. Question; just center guide in front of barrel and thats where hole goes? Guide can go left or right quite a bit, nothing holding it near where I think center should be. Going to drill it at work tomm, want the hole to go where it belongs.

thanks. My handguard is held on by what looks like a rivet, no screw, face is recessed and flat, not going to mess with it for now. odd?

Center the guide or center the hole? that would help.

Before you Loctite the bullet guide in place, take a minute and round the top edge that points toward the magazine.

I installed my bullet guide without making any modifications. Hey, I figured the guys making and selling this thing would round that edge if it really needed it, right? Wrong. I shot Brown Bear hollow points the first time out with the bullet guide. I did NOT have a failure to feed, but when I was cleaning the rifle I notice that the top edge of the bullet guide was a bit beat up. There was even a scar on the guide that must have been caused by a round catching. The scar was raised enough that your thumbnail would catch on it. I Dremeled it smooth and radiused the leading edge. It would have been much easier if I would have done this before Loctiting it in place.

In my humble opinion, the guys making this thing need to modify the design. I bought mine from CSS but I'm guessing its made by the same guy that makes the ones Dinzag sells also. I'm a little bummed because I bought the guide so I didn't have to fool with making it and ended up having to fool with it anyway.

Before you Loctite the bullet guide in place, take a minute and round the top edge that points toward the magazine.

I installed my bullet guide without making any modifications. Hey, I figured the guys making and selling this thing would round that edge if it really needed it, right? Wrong. I shot Brown Bear hollow points the first time out with the bullet guide. I did NOT have a failure to feed, but when I was cleaning the rifle I notice that the top edge of the bullet guide was a bit beat up. There was even a scar on the guide that must have been caused by a round catching. The scar was raised enough that your thumbnail would catch on it. I Dremeled it smooth and radiused the leading edge. It would have been much easier if I would have done this before Loctiting it in place.

In my humble opinion, the guys making this thing need to modify the design. I bought mine from CSS but I'm guessing its made by the same guy that makes the ones Dinzag sells also. I'm a little bummed because I bought the guide so I didn't have to fool with making it and ended up having to fool with it anyway.

Thanks I'm good with rounding the mag side edge, question remains, center the hole or the guide? Center the guide then I'm drilling the hole at a odd angle, was going to clamp recever in a vise and drill on a mill, off center hole means I cant hit straight on, will have to drill and tap at a unknown angle? Help the ignorant.

Brian has a very good downloadable .pdf on his site that walks you through the installation.

Check it out and good luck. I followed his instructions to the letter and had no problem and it functions flawlessly.

As to rounding of the leading edges. Meh, maybe, but after a few rounds they tend to conform naturally and I have had zero issues with mine since day one.

The right edge of the guide (when looking into the chamber) should not extend past the bevel in the chamber face (which lies at about 4 o'clock on the chamber face). If the guide is too far right, it might interfere with the bolt closing completely. So the guide will be offset slightly to the left (away from the ejection port side).

The right edge of the guide (when looking into the chamber) should not extend past the bevel in the chamber face (which lies at about 4 o'clock on the chamber face). If the guide is too far right, it might interfere with the bolt closing completely. So the guide will be offset slightly to the left (away from the ejection port side).

My Saiga is the oddball, there is no "chamber face" at 4 o"clock, beneath the barrel is a rounded area that 1 1/2 bullet guides could prob fit in, it fits under barrel, just has a lot of play "right and left" nothing to stop it in either direction it seems. Thanks.

Bullet guide install ala Dinzag

Exactly the directions I've been trying to download and can't, thanks though, appreciate it.

From the .pdf file:

1) Place the guide in the gun. You will notice a machined relief area "X" on the front. That end tucks under the barrel face. On the 7.62x39 round trunnion rifles, the right hand edge and should line up with the raised step in the barrel/chamber face at about 4 o’clock. Make sure it does not go to the right of that boundary or the bolt may contact it.

All other guides are centered in the rifle.

Sounds like the right edge should line up with the 4 o'clock position of the chamber face to allow bolt clearance. In other words, don't center the guide.

round_guide.jpg

P.S. If you can't download files and are using either IE or Firefox, go to IE tools-internet options-security-custom level and enable file download. Firefox imports security settings from IE so changing things in Firefox won't help. Not sure if other browsers import security settings from IE. I know this is a longshot but hope it helps.

Edited by Myetball

i made my bullet guide last week and i designed it so that i did not need to file the orignial mags. i have the flat trunion so it was easier to make. i did not shoot the gun yet but i hand cycled 50 rounds flawlessly. does the rounded bullet guide need the mag filed when a guide is installed?

I don't believe they are talking about any filing on the mag itself. What they are filing is the squared off edge of the bullet guide to round it slightly to keep the bullet nose (mostly hollow point bullets) from hanging up on that edge. If you have already filed the mag catch on your gun so all com-block mags now fit, that is all you need to do.

Ps. I filed the bullet guides on both my Saiga 7.62 and Draco. Hollow point bullets did hang up a few times in the Draco. Now it's GTG. AS was said above, the guide may round off after some rnds are fired through the gun but I personally think it is a good idea to round the edge some as a prevention. Probably one of those things where some guns will have problems and others won't. One thing I did notice on my Draco was that the bullet guide itself was not square - it extended more on the right side than on the left side and the right side was where the bullets were hanging up so I squared the end of the guide. For those who don't have any experience with a Draco, the bullet guide comes installed from the factory and the Romanian Cugir factory quality control isn't as good as the Russian Izhmash factory.

I don't believe they are talking about any filing on the mag itself. What they are filing is the squared off edge of the bullet guide to round it slightly to keep the bullet nose (mostly hollow point bullets) from hanging up on that edge. If you have already filed the mag catch on your gun so all com-block mags now fit, that is all you need to do.

Ps. I filed the bullet guides on both my Saiga 7.62 and Draco. Hollow point bullets did hang up a few times in the Draco. Now it's GTG. AS was said above, the guide may round off after some rnds are fired through the gun but I personally think it is a good idea to round the edge some as a prevention. Probably one of those things where some guns will have problems and others won't. One thing I did notice on my Draco was that the bullet guide itself was not square - it extended more on the right side than on the left side and the right side was where the bullets were hanging up so I squared the end of the guide. For those who don't have any experience with a Draco, the bullet guide comes installed from the factory and the Romanian Cugir factory quality control isn't as good as the Russian Izhmash factory.

I have seen, read and understand the directions, I was making it harder than it was.

thanks to all who tried to help.