Any modifications necessary to retain the BHO?

Hi all, I'm going to be converting my 5.45 Saiga when the parts arrive (scheduled for friday) and was wondering in advance if I will need to modify the hammer to retain the BHO feature? I'm thinking I might need to shave off some of the hammer to clear it on the right side where a standard AK hammer (G2 in my case) butts up against the receiver. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

I've used Tapco G2 FCG's with great luck.

Yes, you will need to remove some material off the starboard side (right side, as the muzzle is point away from you) of the rifle. Basically, you need to remove the width of the bolt hold open lever from the hammer.

I've used a stationary grinding wheel to do this, which has allowed me to be able to keep the hammer perpendicular to the axis pin. The removal of material doesn't have to be perfectly perpendicular, but you don't want it to be noticeably canted either. I generally use my eyeballs AND a caliper to ensure I'm getting it straight.

A caliper is very handy to ensure the hammer is the correct width. Just use the original hammer to get the measurement you need for the Tapco G2 hammer.

It won't take that long. But, I do recommend you go slow and MEASURE OFTEN. You can always take more material off, you can't put it back on.

BTW, the video posted above was very helpful for me to learn how to install the FCG on my Saiga's. Watch it a couple of times before doing the job. Or, you can even take a laptop into your work area, have the video ready to go, and you can start/stop it as needed.

Good luck!

Edited by alaj70

Thanks for the answers guys. I've already got the Saiga gutted, and am waiting for parts to arrive. I'm already familiar with the AK so that's why I was asking because it seemed to me that I would need to change something for that to fit. It's going into a 5.45 Saiga so I don't think I'll need to remove the hump on the trigger, but we'll see when it gets here. Should be tomorrow.