A good and proper use of JB Weld

Notice the small metal shim that was JB Welded on top of the original magazine catch. The original magazine now works like a champ. No wiggle at all. Now the original 10rd magazine is just as solid as the 30rd magazine (which is very solid). The last pic is of the front of the magazine that was Dremeled to make it work with the bullet guide. I put 40rds of Brown Bear hollow points through this modified magazine and they fed perfectly. See, JB Weld can be properly used in a Saiga application.

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

Edited by denden

It looks like your shim is on top of the locking lug. It would make the mag fit with less/no wobble front to back, but should it have been on the bottom of the latching lug to more accurately compensate for filing the mag catch down? No biggie, just an observation.

It looks like your shim is on top of the locking lug. It would make the mag fit with less/no wobble front to back, but should it have been on the bottom of the latching lug to more accurately compensate for filing the mag catch down? No biggie, just an observation.

Nope. I tried it both ways and the only way that it gave a "snap in tight and no wiggle" result was with the shim on the top of the latch. The other nice thing about the shim being on top is that the magazine catch is rubbing against the original lug, not the shim. The shim only takes up the slack caused by filing the catch.

Try it the other way and see if you can get it to work, 'cause maybe I missed something when I was playing with it. If it works for you on the bottom of the lug, let me know what I missed.

For me, this configuration works perfect and I'm leaving it just like that. Remember, the 10rd magazine will work fine even if you don't shim it. I guess I just got a little obsessive with having it fit nice and tight.

Edited by denden

Nope. I tried it both ways and the only way that it gave a "snap in tight and no wiggle" result was with the shim on the top of the latch. The other nice thing about the shim being on top is that the magazine catch is rubbing against the original lug, not the shim. The shim only takes up the slack caused by filing the catch.

Try it the other way and see if you can get it to work, 'cause maybe I missed something when I was playing with it. If it works for you on the bottom of the lug, let me know what I missed.

For me, this configuration works perfect and I'm leaving it just like that. Remember, the 10rd magazine will work fine even if you don't shim it. I guess I just got a little obsessive with having it fit nice and tight.

I like your idea and I see the advantage of the shim being on top. A shim on the bottom would be more likely to be dislodged by the mag catch. My only point was that the shim on the bottom would put the mag back i n "stock" position.

I don't think it really matters though, as mine functions fine now. But I would like to get rid of the play.

Thanks for the idea and pics.

I don't think it really matters though, as mine functions fine now. But I would like to get rid of the play.

If your 10rd magazine works fine now, check how it sit in the rifle with rounds in it. The weight of the magazine with rounds will pull it down and the original lug will be pressing against the catch. There will be a gap over the top of the lug. The shim fits where this gap shows up. So putting the shim on top will not change the way the magazine sits in the rifle without the shim -- it just makes it fit tighter. Now that's not to say shimming the bottom couldn't accomplish the same effect, I just couldn't get it to work right.