Drill out gas piston or new hand guards?

I would recommend that you go to the Tech section of the Forum and read some of the gas piston topics. Comments like the following made me decide not to change out my gas piston:

"it was a pain in the ass swapping it out, and probably wouldnt do it again."

Here's a guy with firsthand experience sharing his opinion. If I remember correctly, you were going to hold the rifle on your lap when drilling the bullet guide. I think the steel dimples that have to be drilled to swap the gas pistons are harder than the trunion. Spend a little time in the Tech section and make your decision after reading the comments of others.

Furniture might cost a little more, but its less of a pain. What else are you adding/replacing? Just throw a US stock and new US trigger group in it and you should be good to go if you're just going for compliance..

Well I think I need one more part? I need A TOTAL OF 6 US made parts to use surplus magazines, is what I understand from people. So I guess spending $90 a gas pipe wouldnt be the worst thing, better than pain.

Depending on your configuration...

US pistol grip

US trigger group (3 parts)

US buttstock

That's a total of 5 US parts (4 foreign parts replaced), as long as you don't add a foreign muzzle device, leaving you with only 10 foreign parts

You only need to swap 4 parts with US parts as long as no additional foreign parts are used.

I just changed my gas piston out today, it was easy.

1) I drilled (1/8" diameter) out the dimples from both sides just into the piston threads then removed the old piston.

2) Installed the new piston and backed off 1/4 turn, then drilled (1/8" diameter) all the way thru the piston and carrier.

3) Removed the piston and drilled the piston out about 1/32 larger than the carrier holes.

4) Re-installed the piston and used a nail thru the hole, peened it over on both sides and ground the ends flush.

I was a little concerened just from reading around on this site but the bullet guide hole was harder to drill than the piston.

Edited by NEO Saiga

NEO - just curious. Is a nail good enough steel to stand up to the constant shock of the piston action? It is a pretty harsh slam, and I realise the threads take the load, but I would have thought a hardened steel pin would be needed there. I'm asking because I also am considering a piston swap-out, but didn't want the hassle. You made it sound pretty easy.

NEO - just curious. Is a nail good enough steel to stand up to the constant shock of the piston action? It is a pretty harsh slam, and I realise the threads take the load, but I would have thought a hardened steel pin would be needed there. I'm asking because I also am considering a piston swap-out, but didn't want the hassle. You made it sound pretty easy.

The pin only keeps the piston from rotating, I would think you could use an aluminum pin for this. (I wouldn't, but softer steel should work)

I haven't replaced a piston yet, so I can only go on what I've heard others say.......but this isn't the first time someone used a nail. It may not be the ideal metal, but I don't think it will be a problem. While a soft pin could wear a bit, an overly hard pin might not peen well and could crack.

The piston is easy to replace. Dinzag has a kit with the pirston, drill bits and pin. If you have done a conversion, this is child's play.

Do not be afraid.

well damn!;mine most be made of cherynobol steel because i tried drilling out the dimples on my carrier with a cobalt bit(on a drill press) i bought from ak47.com,it came with a pin and i bought a tapco piston from css.the bit barely pulled shavings(or any bit i tried),i drilled slow,median,fast with cutting oil.i`ve given up!if there is a secret,i would like to know!