Pro Mag Magazines

Wanted to if anyone had used the Pro Mag magazines and see how reliable they were.

I would stay away from any US magazines at this point. ProMag, Tapco and US-Palm all have been reported to fail during regular use.

If you are looking for poly mags, go with Bulgarian waffles.

Ran the ProMag 20 round AK47 mags just fine with bullet guide installed.

They also are notched to cut to 10 if wanting to. Good for the ban states once cut down to 10.

The 20's use a LONG spring (maybe from the 30's)

The 30's are NOT notched however. Some people report issues with feeding with 30's.

For $16-18 you can find Steel Mags (not US) or Bulgy 'waffles' for I think $25-35.

For range mags mine ran fine.. (and they look decent) IMHO.

Friends don't let their friends buy ProMags. :chris:

^ That's sigline worthy, right there.

I'd recommend sticking with steel Combloc mags when it comes to x39's. Or if you have to have polymers, go with the Bulgy 10's.

I've got a couple of 20 and 30 round mags and haven't had any issues yet. They fit tight and I actually had to take some sandpaper to a couple of them to make them fit better. However, I just installed a bullet guide last week and haven't had a chance to try them with the bullet guide installed. I don't care for the polymer tab and would guess that there could be some issues with it after a while. I still plan on purchasing some metal surplus ones though.

I picked up a 20 rounder for $20 at the Crossroads G Show last weekend for my stock Saiga x39. By looking at it when I got home I noticed the front edge where the bullet tip comes out it was 1/8" lower, and when hanging on to the bolt handle and chambering the last round it would jam before chambering. But it works 100% when firing at the range.

tzpodx..

Take a small file and square up the rear square on the rear of the mag. this should alleviate the bolt hanging on the last round. Also you need a bullet-guide usually to run in a Saiga. (don't know if you have one installed)

($20 seems steep for a 20 rounder IMHO)

Hope this helps.

Al

I have no experience with x39 promags. I use steel x39 Combloc mags. I just checked one place I buy them from and 20 round mags are $9.95 each. The 30 round ones are sold out for now but are usually about $10 each. It is funny how promag had such a bad reputation until they became business members on this forum.

It is funny how promag had such a bad reputation until they became business members on this forum.

I will stand as a lone voice in the night, as a beacon of hope and freedom, standing against imposible odds when I say this: but they still have a bad reputation... :lolol:

Yeah, I still despise and campaign tirelessly about how worthless ProMags are. Business members can still have crappy products as long as they pay their dues.

My two ProMags for my .223 are relegated to strictly being used for ball and dummy drills, mag change drills, malfunction drills, etc. They are almost NEVER trusted with live ammo, although they DO function with a BG installed. Their fit and finish leaves a LOT to be desired too.

A while ago, I left one on my friend's range by the trash bin, and he threw it in... Said that's where a ProMag belongs... He's a gunsmith... What's THAT tell you?

You get what you pay for, Caveat emptor.

Edited by bohound

All you Promag haters are funny people.....hahahahaha :lolol:. Even if it works, that makes you hate it even more...lol! You guys crack me up :lolol:

The word FUD comes to mind....you know, those old farts at the range who see your S-12 and scoff at it because it's one of those cheap commie trash guns. It costs less than their fancy Benelli so they go around preaching to anyone who will listen, saying those assault weapons have no place on a skeet range or whatever....even though in the hands of a good shooter it runs circles around the stuck up fud's guns.

I don't have any problem with people expressing their opinion on something. But when they start trying to force their opinion on others (IE telling others what they shouldn't do with their own money, that's crossing the line. It's also needlessly slandering one of our sponsors and their NEW products you haven't even tried, and are not even intelligent enough to give a chance, just because of a mag, or even several mags, out of millions made, that you may have had a bad experience with....or even worse, because you listened to what some other fud said, and may not have even tried one for yourself.....lol.

Funny. :haha:

Please remember though: A polished turd that functions is still a turd.

I'll ALSO remind you that ProMags are ADVERTISED as built to work with a STOCK Saiga (no BG).

I really would like to see an unmodified, NIB ProMag function properly in a stock Saiga.

Is that you Santa? Easter Bunny?

Edited by bohound

I wouldn't go so far as to say "don't get them", but milsurp metal mags and Bulgy waffles are SO much better than any domestic AK mag you can buy. The ProMags feel nice and beefy, and I never had any issues with my 30-rounders, but the one 20 I had didn't feed AT ALL. I find ProMags much more difficult to lock in place too, the catch on the front seems real stubby compared to other mags. And there are no steel reinforcements around the feedlips or latches, so service life will be shorter.

It is funny how promag had such a bad reputation until they became business members on this forum.

I will stand as a lone voice in the night, as a beacon of hope and freedom, standing against imposible odds when I say this: but they still have a bad reputation... :lolol:

Not alone. I have several in a box for a variety of weapons for various reasons that Ive found to be just so much trash, I keep them in he false hope of fixing them some day but in truth I am a pack rat. The PM Saiga mags are better than those do get range use once in a while. DO NOT drop it loaded on concrete! Its toast as I once did just to see and man did it ever put on a show. Things that break that badly should get an award we never did locate all the rounds. Now having said that a lot of composite mags will break but not that spectacularly. They are ok at a range as long as one, you already have them and two, you feel bad about selling them.

I am sorry if this makes me an evil person ;)

One 30rd ProMag Mag. came with my AMD-65 for 922r compliance, loaded it up full with 30rds put it into my AMD-65 and parked it against a desk. Next thing that happened is we heard a loud noise, and saw 30rds of 7.62 Ammo. along with the Mags floor plate and spring, go flying across the room. Wife thought the rifle had fired. :eek: So much for ProMags quality. :ded:

I personally have 5 promags couple solid black, some clear and some smoked, I do not baby them in any way and they show it by their numerous scratches and dents, that said however, I would never depend or completely rely on any polymer mags (yes includind the praised ohh sooo perfect surefires). In comparison to an all metal mag they look and act as fragile as a toothpick in my opinion.

Edited by HappYBallZ

I have 4 ProMag 30 rounders, they have been pretty good to me but I've only fired about 700 rounds with them. I recently bought a SureFire mag and I definitely could tell there is a difference in quality between them (SureFire felt more solid and dependable and I plan to get a few more of them).

Not alone. I have several in a box for a variety of weapons for various reasons that Ive found to be just so much trash, I keep them in he false hope of fixing them some day but in truth I am a pack rat. The PM Saiga mags are better than those do get range use once in a while. DO NOT drop it loaded on concrete! Its toast as I once did just to see and man did it ever put on a show. Things that break that badly should get an award we never did locate all the rounds. Now having said that a lot of composite mags will break but not that spectacularly. They are ok at a range as long as one, you already have them and two, you feel bad about selling them.

Ha! Thats funny as I have acquired 2 or 3 over the last few years. I try to trade them away when ever I can. Its funny how they accumulate... like a festering malignancy...

I personally have 5 promags couple solid black, some clear and some smoked, I do not baby them in any way and they show it by their numerous scratches and dents, that said however, I would never depend or completely rely on any polymer mags (yes includind the praised ohh sooo perfect surefires). In comparison to an all metal mag they look and act as fragile as a toothpick in my opinion.

No one is praising Surfire mags. They are just as poor a performer as the PMs. People in the know use Bulgarian C10's or (NON COMMERCIAL) Russian/Polish slabsides. There are no worthwhile US poly mags being made to date.

Edited by bigsal

Ha! Thats funny as I have acquired 2 or 3 over the last few years. I try to trade them away when ever I can. Its funny how they accumulate... like a festering malignancy...

I've had some relatives who meant well give me a couple Tapco 30-rnders and a couple Bulgarian commercial slab-sided 40-rnders as gifts. I sold the Tapcos, but still have the 40-rnd poly Bulgarian slab-sides... hmm.. need to sell those as well.

Any takers? :D

I've had some relatives who meant well give me a couple Tapco 30-rnders and a couple Bulgarian commercial slab-sided 40-rnders as gifts. I sold the Tapcos, but still have the 40-rnd poly Bulgarian slab-sides... hmm.. need to sell those as well.

Any takers? :D

I bought a 30rd TAPCO Mag. just one for my AMD-65s 922r compliance. Had to do some filing rework, on the Mag. to get it to lock in correctly. :rolleyes: I don't plan on ever using it, but think it's a good idea to keep it near the AMD when out shooting. :unsure:

Edited by rifleshooter474