My cousin lives in Long Island NY, and I'd like to get some pre ban mags to take there since as far as I know, pre ban high caps are allowed.

Does anyone know what are the specifics of the law?

Where can I get some pre ban 5.45 mags (and how do I know they're pre ban) sent to me as a rebuild kit (only way I can posses over 15rd mags in NJ)?

Edited by Polak

If they're over 15 rounds, just have them sent straight to your cousin's house in LI (assuming they're pre-ban, of course).

As an NJ resident, you can't possess a mag (even a "rebuild kit") that holds more than 15 rounds (and the whole "pre-ban" thing means nothing NJ). Some vendors like 44Mag have a disclaimer saying any mag, regardless of capacity, can be sent to any state as a "rebuild kit". This isn't true in most cases. In fact, the only ban state that I know of that "rebuild kits" (a mag broken down into pieces; body, follower, floorplate, spring) are legal, is Cali.

44Mag would gladly send a 30 round PMag to a New York address as a "rebuild kit". For some odd reason, they think that we can own them that way, but we can't. Get caught in NY with a 30 round PMag body, and you're fucked. Regardless of if it's a complete mag or not. Same goes for you guys in NJ. Be smart, and stay safe. Don't get screwed over a mag.

Yes, any magazine that was manufactured before September 14, 1994 is considered "pre-ban" and is legal in NY in any capacity. Otherwise, we're restricted to 10 rounds or less.

Like BigBoss said, stick with steel Combloc mags and you're golden.

I guess 10rd it is. Don't want to get in some shit over magazines. I saw more than one site say rebuild kits to NJ so I assumed that's true. Guess you can't trust internet stores to know all laws.

Edited by Polak

I guess 10rd it is. Don't want to get in some shit over magazines. I saw more than one site say rebuild kits to NJ so I assumed that's true. Guess you can't trust internet stores to know all laws.

Just have them shipped directly to your cousin. That's what I would do, anyway.

Save up, send your cousin a money order and have him order a bunch of pre-bans with a pre-paid credit card. They'll sit happily and legally in his house and you can use them whenever you go over there / if SHTF.

shooter said:

As an NJ resident, you can't possess a mag (even a "rebuild kit") that holds more than 15 rounds (and the whole "pre-ban" thing means nothing NJ). Some vendors like 44Mag have a disclaimer saying any mag, regardless of capacity, can be sent to any state as a "rebuild kit". This isn't true in most cases. In fact, the only ban state that I know of that "rebuild kits" (a mag broken down into pieces; body, follower, floorplate, spring) are legal, is Cali.

44Mag would gladly send a 30 round PMag to a New York address as a "rebuild kit". For some odd reason, they think that we can own them that way, but we can't. Get caught in NY with a 30 round PMag body, and you're fucked. Regardless of if it's a complete mag or not. Same goes for you guys in NJ. Be smart, and stay safe. Don't get screwed over a mag.

Shooter is correct, there is a big misconception for some reason that you can have magazine parts or "rebuild kits" in NJ when it is most certainly illegal to do so.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov
  • 1 month later...

So how would one go about rebuilding a damaged magazine? Are any new parts allowed into the state or do you just have to buy another pre-ban magazine when one breaks down?

If the body is damaged to the point of being unusable, then it's garbage. Cut your losses and replace it with another pre-ban.

If we're just talking about damaged guts; follower, floorplate, spring.........those parts can be replaced at any time, with brand new counterparts (Magpul followers are great).

So to answer your question.......yes, you just have to buy another pre-ban mag if one goes tits up and you feel the need to replace it. Just buy more than you need (easier said than done, I know)....that way, when one takes a shit, it's not the end of the world. Most pre-ban mags, if you look in the right places, aren't really priced that high to where they need to be treated like gold. AR15.com's Equipment Exchange is a good place to look for pre-ban mags for pretty much any gun.