Recoil Pad for new conversion

Ok, I finally did it, and converted my Saiga! I get to try it out at the range tomorrow. Many

thanks to Grep at CSS for his invaluable videos that helped me through the process.

I have a tapco stock and was trying to decide which recoil pad will fit and look the best. I found

a website that has a duplicate of the Russian pad made for grenade launching, the cost is about $21

but I don't know the vendor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

congrats I just converted mine last night as well last, will test it next week. Probably going to go with a rubber slip on recoil pad with a velcro, might be the one you are talking about AK 74 ish look :)

http://www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=339

I just ordered one of those today for my romanian side folder, to go on my S12 I don't even have yet?

Edited by chupa

congrats I just converted mine last night as well last, will test it next week. Probably going to go with a rubber slip on recoil pad with a velcro, might be the one you are talking about AK 74 ish look :)

http://www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=339

I just ordered one of those today for my romanian side folder, to go on my S12 I don't even have yet?

Yea I looked around for a long time, and liked this one the best.. :)

The slip on UTG ones that CSS sells do NOTHING to reduce recoil. They do add an inch to the LOP and have a much fatter base for more surface contact but they are hard as a rock. They have little rubber anti-slip nubs on the butt that will increase bruising on your shoulder. Do not buy one thinking its gonna save your shoulder.

he is talking about a different recoil pad altogether, I believe. It looks similar.My link

I saw that one too, when I asked Greg if it was same as http://www.fseusa.co...products_id=339 he said its not, my friend has one thats pictured in the link, I shot it and it much better than with out it. While I havent tried the limb saver so I cant compare between the two.

he is talking about a different recoil pad altogether, I believe. It looks similar.My link

I saw that one too, when I asked Greg if it was same as http://www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=339 he said its not, my friend has one thats pictured in the link, I shot it and it much better than with out it. While I havent tried the limb saver so I cant compare between the two.

They sure look the same to me. Did Greg happen to say what the difference was between them?

By the way for those who might be wondering, this slip on recoil pad design comes from Russia, for use by the Russian army on AK rifles with the Russian under-barrel mounted grenade launchers, like this configuration:

post-5877-12717417542336_thumb.jpg

Thats the one i have and it is terrible for recoil reduction.

I have one of those too, and while I agree it doesn't actually reduce the recoil force much (if at all), for me at least it did definitely make shooting my Saiga 12 much more comfortable. I had done a basis conversion on my Saiga 12 and had a standard AK-rifle buttstock on it (like the type on the 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 AKs), and before I put one of those slip-on recoil pads on it, I couldn't shoot more than about 100 rounds of even low-base birdshot shells before my shoulder just got too sore to shoot. After I put one of those pads on the buttstock though, I could then shoot several hundred rounds of any type of shell (including high-base 2-3/4" or 3" magnums) in one sitting without my shoulder getting sore at all. Everyone else's mileage may vary I'm sure, but the slip-on pad worked just great for me.

I saw that one too, when I asked Greg if it was same as http://www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=339 he said its not, my friend has one thats pictured in the link, I shot it and it much better than with out it. While I havent tried the limb saver so I cant compare between the two.

They sure look the same to me. Did Greg happen to say what the difference was between them?

By the way for those who might be wondering, this slip on recoil pad design comes from Russia, for use by the Russian army on AK rifles with the Russian under-barrel mounted grenade launchers, like this configuration:

I have one of those too, and while I agree it doesn't actually reduce the recoil force much (if at all), for me at least it did definitely make shooting my Saiga 12 much more comfortable. I had done a basis conversion on my Saiga 12 and had a standard AK-rifle buttstock on it (like the type on the 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 AKs), and before I put one of those slip-on recoil pads on it, I couldn't shoot more than about 100 rounds of even low-base birdshot shells before my shoulder just got too sore to shoot. After I put one of those pads on the buttstock though, I could then shoot several hundred rounds of any type of shell (including high-base 2-3/4" or 3" magnums) in one sitting without my shoulder getting sore at all. Everyone else's mileage may vary I'm sure, but the slip-on pad worked just great for me.

I wrote:

Hi Does this come with a velcro strap? http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-363/AK47-Saiga-Orignal-Recoil/Detail is this same Krinkov recoil pad as one attached? Cant tell by the pic thanks

Greg Queen wrote:

It is a little different. It does not come with a strap.

Greg Queen

Carolina Shooters Supply Inc.

P.O.Box 940

Lugoff SC 29078

(843)267-9084

www.CarolinaShootersSupply.com

I didn't bother to ask him for futher details, because I needed one with a velcro. Besides I shot my friends S12 as I mentioned and it works really well. I was just wondering if CSS had it for less, but I guess they are different.

post-23895-12717429798102_thumb.jpg

I wrote:

Hi Does this come with a velcro strap? http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-363/AK47-Saiga-Orignal-Recoil/Detail is this same Krinkov recoil pad as one attached? Cant tell by the pic thanks

Greg Queen wrote:

It is a little different. It does not come with a strap.

Greg Queen

Carolina Shooters Supply Inc.

P.O.Box 940

Lugoff SC 29078

(843)267-9084

www.CarolinaShootersSupply.com

I didn't bother to ask him for futher details, because I needed one with a velcro. Besides I shot my friends S12 as I mentioned and it works really well. I was just wondering if CSS had it for less, but I guess they are different.

Okay I see now, Greg just meant the only difference is that his doesn't come with the velcro strap (I had thought he maybe meant there might be some difference in the material, or the manufacturing method, or something else).

Edited by Frogfoot

+1

Mine is UTG also. I shaved off those points on the base with a razor blade because they are too hard & sharp.

It reduces felt recoil through ONLY a larger footprint.

Personally I notice a big difference compared to just my AKM buttstock.

Gundog1.jpg

Another company sells a real Russian unit. But I can't post a link because of the rules.

I don't know if, & I doubt it is, softer though, & it costs around $50.00 shipped.

11cheekpad_black.jpg

There is a pad softer than the UTG pad .I have the UTG .Just a thought you could probably take a Dr.Scholls pad cut it to the dimensions of the butt and slide over the butt pad.

. Here is a link this guys pad seems softer.

Ive known the guy who runs First Son Enterprises for 10+ years. He's good to order from. Iv'e also bought the same pads from Carolina and FSE . Theyre the same thing. Both are much harder rubber than the original Russian butt pads that Ive also owned.

I took it out this weekend and the pad made a huge difference. I may be that it just it a much bigger contact

surface, but when I first shot it with the Tapco stock I had bruises on my shoulder from just 10 slugs!

This time I shot about 100 rounds of bird shot and 15 rounds of slugs. I really like it and it also fits

my polish under folder AK.