Convert My Saiga 7.62x39 or Buy an FEG AK

Hello,

I just joined the forum a few minutes ago. I am a new member. I currently own a Saiga 7.62x39, Saiga 12 and a Lancaster Ak. I was considering Having my Saiga converted professionally by rifle dynamics (waiting for a quote) but considering the cost involved I was going to purchase a Hungarian FEG Amd-63 with a Fixed wood stock. I do not live in a free state so I cannot own the folding version. But still like the fixed wood stock. Does anyone here have thoughts on this? Is an FEG AMD a good Purchase? Has anyone shot one? Or should I just get the conversion? I DID NOT KNOW IF I SHOULD POST THIS IN THE CONVERSION SECTION SO I ALSO LISTED IN THE 7.62x39 SECTION. I THOUGHT I COULD REMOVE IT HERE SO I DO APOLOGIZE FOR THE DOUBLE POST.

Thanks

Marc

Edited by MTEK

The FEG is made from used parts. It will be produced by who-knows-who.

The Saiga is all new. You have chosen for it to be converted by a company known for it's professionalism.

Personally, I say convert the Saiga yourself, but it's your money :)

i had the amd 65, had the short barrel, couldnt hit shit at 75 yards, but very nice quality and well built, i would perfere one then put a solid stock just for the shorter barrel, but thats just me, btw had to shave some off front pg to be able to use 30 round mags, but i loved it!!!! but it cost like 60 bucks to convert your own saiga and rebuilt rifles are usualy made with new us barrels so it doesnt really matter

Edited by BROWNEYE

Yeah another +1 on converting yourself. It is very simple to do and there are all kinds of videos on youtube/vimeo (i like the one on vimeo) on how to do it yourself. You only need some very basic tools, hammer, chisel, vise, dremel. Even if you don't have the tools you can buy a brand new dremel for $89 at Home Depot which is way less than what you'll pay for labor/shipping. And you have a new dremel! Some people convert without a dremel too. I think Nalioth does it all hammer and chisel?

Yeah another +1 on converting yourself. It is very simple to do and there are all kinds of videos on youtube/vimeo (i like the one on vimeo) on how to do it yourself. You only need some very basic tools, hammer, chisel, vise, dremel. Even if you don't have the tools you can buy a brand new dremel for $89 at Home Depot which is way less than what you'll pay for labor/shipping. And you have a new dremel! Some people convert without a dremel too. I think Nalioth does it all hammer and chisel?

got my dremel at a pawn shop for 20 bones and love it use it like 3 times a week, but yeh dude convert it regardless, i dont know one person on the forum that wouldnt help you and it would save you 360 bucks but you can never have enough aks lol

When you remove the factory trigger, trigger guard, buttstock and foregrip from a Saiga you are left with small holes above where the new pistol grip goes, one where the old trigger guard was riveted in, one in front of where the new trigger goes, and one where the factory foregrip was. Depending on the trigger guard you use, everything will be covered except the ones above the pistol grip. If you don't change the foregrip, then that one will still be used as well. You CAN weld up the holes and refinish if you want, but it's far easier to spend a couple bucks and just put little plugs in the holes from a hardware store. I personally wouldn't weld up holes in a heat treated receiver... But that's just how I am. I also vote for converting it!

When you remove the factory trigger, trigger guard, buttstock and foregrip from a Saiga you are left with small holes above where the new pistol grip goes, one where the old trigger guard was riveted in, one in front of where the new trigger goes, and one where the factory foregrip was. Depending on the trigger guard you use, everything will be covered except the ones above the pistol grip. If you don't change the foregrip, then that one will still be used as well. You CAN weld up the holes and refinish if you want, but it's far easier to spend a couple bucks and just put little plugs in the holes from a hardware store. I personally wouldn't weld up holes in a heat treated receiver... But that's just how I am. I also vote for converting it!

or you can get a stock mount from css that uses the factory holes to mount it then a bad ass dph tromix or ace stock

I personally wouldn't weld up holes in a heat treated receiver... But that's just how I am. I also vote for converting it!

The only heat treatment you need to worry about is the metal around the hammer and trigger pivot pin holes and the rails.

A tig welder (properly used) won't put much heat (relatively speaking) into the work.

You fire up the oxy-acetylene torch and get to work, yeah, you might have some heat issues . . .

If it were such an issue, why do Tromix, Red Jacket and others weld them up?

i had the amd 65, had the short barrel, couldnt hit shit at 75 yards, but very nice quality and well built, i would perfere one then put a solid stock just for the shorter barrel, but thats just me, btw had to shave some off front pg to be able to use 30 round mags, but i loved it!!!! but it cost like 60 bucks to convert your own saiga and rebuilt rifles are usualy made with new us barrels so it doesnt really matter

Damn, $20, that's awesome. We don't have any pawn shops around here :( Well we do but they're just gold buying/selling places with some electronics here and there.

Wow Thanks for all the great info! Im assuming from most of the responses that many of you have converted the saigas yourself. CSS is Carolina Shooters Supply?

Yes, and Greg at CSS is super fast getting the parts to your door at very competitive prices :)

Wow Thanks for all the great info! Im assuming from most of the responses that many of you have converted the saigas yourself. CSS is Carolina Shooters Supply?

You assume correctly... Even the girls here restore their Saigas themselves! :smoke: