I was thinking of getting into the 410 bore side of things (only have Tromix S17) and was wondering where people are getting cheap ammo? I am looking for some 3in shells of shot, buck, and slugs. I would also like to try some 2.75 silver/gold bear metal case? Thanks

PS has anyone tried this (in judge or S410). It seems like it would be pretty devastating at close range.

Edited by raidersfan_5544

I've mainly used bird shot in mine for clay birds, shot a few slugs through it but not many, both lengths 2 3/4" & 3". Got them from Wally World as the local shops want to much for 410.

I want to try some of the 410 hand gun ammo too, I think it would work fairly well in a shotgun.

Okay, for defensive purposes, I use the Golden Bear #4 buck, 5 pellets in a 2 3/4" (yeah yeah, not a real size, just think 3"). Those are practically meant for the Saiga .410 and even though Surefire says their magazines (they are the ones who make 10 and 15 rounders) aren't for metalic cased shells, they work just fine.

. Also, for around 50 cents a round you can't beat it. (A note on the Golden Bear buckshot... I took a random shell once and opened it up to measure the pellet. It measured .34 which is 0 buck off the top of my head. I'll have to take some time and check some others I'm just not too keen on ruining good ammo)

The Winchester 1/4 ounce 3" slugs are pretty decent too. They run about $1 a pop so it starts to get a little more expensive but their muzzle energy is more than a 6" .357 magnum standard load (700+ ft/lbs of energy, don't want to pull out the muzzle energy calculator but I assure you it is more than 700). Those even work well for distant shots, get about 2" groups at 50 yards, pretty decent for a smooth bore.

For fun I shoot the Remington Express #6, they work fine, are about $12 for 25 at Wally World. I wouldn't advocate using ANY birdshot for defending against anything bigger than birds. There have been cases where it worked and I know a lot of people think it would be better to injure an intruder using bird shot than kill one using slugs or buckshot but keep in mind if you are trying to protect yourself using a firearm it isn't about injuring/killing a person, it's about stopping them and if you hit them with bird 15 times and they are still alive, well, I sure as hell would be pissed.

I've heard of Golden Bear/Silver Bear slugs but I haven't seen them around and was never able to try them out, if anybody has a source for these let me know, I'm interested in given them a shot, all the Bear ammo has worked great in all my Saiga's and the price is always good.

I'm sure there are many different loads out there, some of them very like the ones I have said and the same advice would apply to all those. But be warned about the combo loads such as a slug with some BB shot in it and all that wackiness. Things like that are really unpredictable and when it comes to defensive purposes you want something you know will behave like you expect it to.

Another piece of advice. With the Saiga .410, it seems (in my case anyways) that the harder the shell, the more reliable. The Remington Express birdshot I was talking about is the only one that tends to give me failure to feeds and it is usually when pulling back the charging handle and it bends the shell in the middle.

My setup for my disabled father is 2 15 round magazines. The one that is locked in place holds 15 Golden Bear #4 buck shells (the least likely to get a FTF in my opinion). The second magazine is loaded with 15 of the Winchester 1/4 slugs. My logic behind this is hopefully he wouldn't need more than 15 rounds to defend himself against intruders in the first place but I want the most reliable for the first magazine. Then, IF he needs the second magazine, he has 15 more rounds that will get a 357 power slug exactly where he points it. If he needs more than 30 rounds to defend against intruders then he is pretty much screwed...

It is my opinion that the Saiga .410 is an excellent home defense weapon for people who have trouble handling higher power long guns (ie: smaller women or disabled people). These have zero felt recoil and are pretty much as reliable as any other AK action.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that the Saiga .410 is my favorite play weapon (yes yes, weapons aren't toys...) as in it is what I like to have with me in the woods with my friends when we are having a fun shooting day. Yeah I'll bring the S308 and some other toys (weapons...) but by the end of the day we always find that we have expended more .410 shells than anything else.

ETA: whackyness isn't a word, its wackiness I guess...

Edited by ThirtyAughtSix

"I've heard of Golden Bear/Silver Bear slugs but I haven't seen them around and was never able to try them out, if anybody has a source for these let me know, I'm interested in given them a shot, all the Bear ammo has worked great in all my Saiga's and the price is always good."

I ordered some silver bear slugs from here

• 4 weeks later...

I usually feed my .410 the federal hi-brass birdshot from Wal-Marx. Around here it's $13-$14 for a box of 20, as far as the silver/golden bear is concerned I'm not sure on the price but I've heard a lot of good things about them so I'd at least buy a box of each and try them out.

I might have to look for that PDX1 ammo next time I run by Cabela's, that stuff looks pretty fierce for a home defence load.

• 3 months later...

(long time lurker, newly registered - my apologies for reviving a 'dead' thread, but...)

Has anyone used the Centurion 410 in a Saiga? I have an aquaintance looking to part with his Judge and I'm interested in his ammo but I have no experience with this brand and reviews I've found are mostly for the 12ga