Saiga-12 gas regulator question...

Hello,

Just got my new Saiga 12 to the range today... The range allows to shoot only slugs so I had some low-recoil slugs from http://ammoman.com/index.htm

I was expecting that on setting 1 (low) it should cycle slugs fine (even low-recoil)... but in reality I had 100% FTE on 1... On 2 it cycles reliably but bangs the back of the receiver pretty hard... As experiment I tried to put some CLP on the gas piston (puck) and it cycled trough the first 5 rounds fine on "1"... and started to "play tricks" on the secong 5... I looked at the puck and CLP looks gone at that point...

* So here is the question - what is proper setting for low-recoil slugs? - "2" really feels too much for it

* Any simple mod (before I send it for warranty)? - Should I polish the puck and gas cylinder? - looks like temporary lubrication helps so may be polishing could help permanently...

* Any other thing to check?

Thanks

Hello,

Just got my new Saiga 12 to the range today... The range allows to shoot only slugs so I had some low-recoil slugs from http://ammoman.com/index.htm

I was expecting that on setting 1 (low) it should cycle slugs fine (even low-recoil)... but in reality I had 100% FTE on 1... On 2 it cycles reliably but bangs the back of the receiver pretty hard... As experiment I tried to put some CLP on the gas piston (puck) and it cycled trough the first 5 rounds fine on "1"... and started to "play tricks" on the secong 5... I looked at the puck and CLP looks gone at that point...

* So here is the question - what is proper setting for low-recoil slugs? - "2" really feels too much for it

* Any simple mod (before I send it for warranty)? - Should I polish the puck and gas cylinder? - looks like temporary lubrication helps so may be polishing could help permanently...

* Any other thing to check?

Thanks

Personally, I would tear the whole thing apart and rework it from front to back, but I have never owned a new one that was under warranty (got one coming though). Send it back. I doubt you will be able to fire any low brass through it reliably and sooner or later you will want to do so. Don't do any mods.... simple or not, even if you think you might want to send it in for warranty work. You may want to contact Cadiz Gun Works and see what they say.

It sounds like your gun is under gassed. Lube in the gas system is a pretty big no no. It is going to get gummy really quick from the gas.

- know that about the lube... I lubed as part of the investigation :) removed all the lube when cleaning the gun afterwards...