first saiga... bolt issue question

48 members have voted

1. 1. when you close the bolt slowly, does it stop before fully closed?

• yes
    • no

If I close the bolt slowly by holding the lever with my hand, it stops about one inch from being fully closed, and needs to be nudged to close fully.

I know this won't effect the shotgun during normal use and firing, but I was wondering if it is normal?

Thanks,

Mark

If I close the bolt slowly by holding the lever with my hand, it stops about one inch from being fully closed, and needs to be nudged to close fully.

I know this won't effect the shotgun during normal use and firing, but I was wondering if it is normal?

Thanks,

Mark

It's normal. Mine did the same back when she was new.

I can't get my gun to do that anymore (so I voted "no"), but with the extensive mirror polish and honing work Lone Star performed on my bolt, bc, fcg, etc, that's not suprising. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Thanks,

Mark

yes its normal...do not baby it...let it fly

+1 on all the above, however it got much better now after I polished the bolt, and all the other possible parts and areas. Now if I "baby it" back its a 50/50 sometimes it closes, but if it doesnt then it needs only a tiny push with a pinky and it shuts close.

Mine does it as well. it's getting better the more i shoot it.

wow was gonna start this topic today, mine is pollished as well, but i am damn certain that the piston is rubbing on the gas tube up by the puck. i am guessing only wear will fix that one,but its new and not very many shells shot, but runs just fine.

• Like 1

I didn't vote because the wording is an unclear question.

It could be taken to mean..."did your gun act like this when new, with the bolt carrier stopping before closing all the way?"...or "is this normal for any stock S-12?"...in which case the answer would be yes.

If you were asking if my particular "first S-12" closes all the way when babied, then yes it does...it doesn't even begin to stop....but that's only because I did a superb a job of re-profiling and polishing bolt and carrier / hammer, etc...making it as slick and smooth as any S-12 with similar upgrades. :smoke:

...But when I first got it, almost new, it was like any other S-12 that hasn't had extensive work done to all the high friction surfaces, or been shot so much that they were worn smooth. It's perfectly normal for a new, or lightly used, Saiga shotgun to hang up where the bolt first begins to turn, and lock into battery.

Ya got me thinkin'...

Now I can't have anything less than perfection, & although I don't have any issues shooting, I think I'll hit that part real quick as an experiment.....

Upon inspection it's a part of the bolt that locks up as the gun gos into battery, or part of the gun depending on how one looks at it.

Hangup.jpg

Hangup2.jpg

As evidenced by the extensive wear, I've put mad-ass rounds through this gun.

I haven't tested it in a while for the hangup, but I just did & I see the issue, I have to close it as slowly as possible to replicate the hangup if the return spring is installed, & when I turn the gun upward it locks up.

I think I'll hit it in the areas circled & post the before & after video / pic results.

I always say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But this time I'll make an exception.... I can't have it said that anything I do is half assed....

Be back soon....

To echo others, the dynamics involved in hand cycling have nothing to do with the gun as it's made to function under normal operation. Break it in. Don't baby it--it's an AK!

• Like 1

I would not recommend trying to get it to transition absolutely smoothly from the ears that rotate & lock into the locked breech possession.

That helps, but the disconnecter spring has a bit to do with it too.

That being said, mine was rather hard to get to replicate the stall stop to begin with. & when I did get it to replicate, even a rotation of the gun would get it to let go.

It's kinda like when you're practicing drill with the M-16 & just a tap anywhere on the gun will make it click into locked breech & you find yourself doing umpteen pushups. (those who've served will understand) except much easier to trigger a release.

That being said, if one were to try to get it ALL out of the bolt, one would be compromising the breech locking surfaces & screwing with headspace, which is a big No-No. Reducing the pressure of the extractor spring would finish it, but I won't do that, as mine is running too good to play with something so trivial.

I would be interested in anyone posting a video of absolutely NO stall whatsoever in an S-12 while closing the bolt as slowly as possible & interested if it has a tuned extractor.

Even when I can't get it to catch & stay open, it still drags & wants to pause a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1shIXRJerE&feature=player_embedded

I don't know, maybe I'm "there" but when I read "doesn't begin to stop", I think "Butter" like my Enfield bolt action. That bitch glides.

But I guess it doesn't matter, the thing shoots great.

Time to do the finishing touches so I can hot-blue it & finally be done with this one & on to an "Evil black" one of my own.

Edited by Paulyski

I think the action of my S-12 is about as smooth as you'll find...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_2dS8wRaBw

:smoke:

My S-12's extractor has been tuned. At the beginning of the video, I demonstrate another nice improvement that's standard on Lone Star Arms S-12's: you can easily chamber a round, (or eject a round), while keeping the safety on, (in it's new upper detent).

Edited by post-apocalyptic

But just really slowly set it there.

TRY hard to get it to hang up, like I did.

I believe you if you say you can't, but I just wanna see.

Notice I was REALLY trying to get it to hang up?

I know it's trivial.... I'm just curious. ^_^

ETA: I responded before I saw you uploaded the second one....

Nice.

Edited by Paulyski

Look at my second video. ;) I was babying it forward as slowly as possible. It cannot hang up at any point.

Look at my second video. ;) I was babying it forward as slowly as possible. It cannot hang up at any point.

I did.

Smooth....

NEXT.....................

Hope ya weren't blinded by the shine off my bolt carrier. ;) The mirror polish Mike achieves on LSA S-12's is second to none.

I figure, in daytime combat, I can use it to disorient my enemy before firing. :D

And as an emergency signal mirror for aircraft! :lolol:

(if the SHTF, nothing that can't be quickly painted though)

Notice while I'm getting mine exactly where I want it, I could care less about the finish?

At the end of each day, all I care about is that sh's ready to rock & roll.

Yours is making me want to tune the extractor now though..... :unsure:

Edited by Paulyski

Nice mirror job on the action . We used to do that to our Ak's . I do have a question ? Is there a thread on here about extractor tuning ? Mine is now self tuned ( I did have the bolt and carrier polished by a forum vendor ) to run anything I feed it . Yet would still like a little more smoothness .Thanks in advance .

I'd like to know about the extractor tuning as well. Nothing really came up in the search other than rounding down where the extractor goes onto the barrel. Well just knocking the corners off of that area, not taking off much metal. Is there any thing else one can do to it? I'd like mine to cycle by hand with out stopping.

If anyone wants to send me their bolt I can tune their extractor. Just send me a PM. Sorry bout that WFO2...I could have done that while it was here getting a facelift. I didn't know you wanted that service too.

I guess I should go ahead and post some videos of my guns as well...haven't really had time to mess with it but as I said above, my S-12s are smooth as glass, just like my AKs.