Tantal 5.45x39 or Saiga 5.45x39

You can find a Tantal for $420, at a couple vendors. If a Tantal is what you are looking for than grab one. If you want to build and learn how your rifle works, than build a Saiga how you would like it.

Which is the better gun? I like that the Tantal already has the Tapco trigger group and a US foregrip and Stock.

What needs to be considered?

The Tantal stock is the worst of the east European wire folders, in my view...gives a non-existent cheekweld.

I've been souring on the Tapco trigger group, so I'm not sure it's a big benefit. Too easy to bump-fire accidentally. It may end up landing someone in jail before it's over with.

Which is the better gun? I like that the Tantal already has the Tapco trigger group and a US foregrip and Stock.

What needs to be considered?

Not all Tantals are equal. The cheaper ones are Century builds more often and there was a major problem with them at some point with keyholing (sp?) secondary to 5.56mm American barrels being used. Atlantic sells the slightly more expensive Interarms build using the Polish chrome lined 5.45mm correct barrel. You do not have the side mount on these either. However, the Interarms Tantals I have shot are damn tack drivers and would buy one myself depending on the price differential between that of a comparable Arsenal side folder.

Edited by 690gr

A good way to check the Tantal to see if century screwed with the barrel/trunion, is take the dust cover off and check the barrel we're it mates with the reciever, if it's smooth like our saiga's then it's more than likely the right and original barrel. However if it's "checkered" then it's not the original and it's a cheap POS.

Checkering means that they snatched the original barrel out, checkered the new barrel, and popped it back in. When you first mate a barrel to the trunion/reciever, it's a life deal.