Are Bullet Guides really needed?

I just spoke with Greg from CSS about getting a BG for my 5.45 and he e-mailed me back saying that the 7.62 is the only one that needs a BG and the 5.45 can get by with out one...is this true? Ive heard that you can only shoot 20-25 rounds without a BG and not a full mag, but he said he hasnt had any problems...

I have heard and read online that the 5.45 will feed fine without a bullet guide. I have never heard of anyone having any issues without one. I have also read and heard that you should install one just to be sure. I plan on installing one in my 5.45 when I get my high capacity mags in.

5.45 without a bullet guide has acceptable jams.. for an AR...

you'll jam about 1/100 with the bullet faceplanting into where the bullet guide should be. Definately can get by without it and it's an easy clear, but I like to my ak to run a bit more flawless so I have a bullet guide now.

Maybe you can "get by" without one, but I feel more confident knowing that my rifle has the same configuration as the original design (other than the fact that I'm using a screw instead of a rivet).

+10! yeah i feel the same way as all of you guys, but i was just posting to get some thoughts and opinions.

I had the same experience with both my 5.45 and 7.62 rifles.. both would jam on the last round of a 20 or 30 round magazine until I installed the bullet guide.. after the bullet guide, both feed perfectly. I bought my 5.45 rifle last december, and there may be differences between different mfg. years that make some rifles more or less inclined to need a BG but that's just a wild ass guess.. I've heard some people say they didn't need one, but I know in my case I definitely did.

My test mags were the bulgarian surplus and had no problems with 500 rds. I have also tried the new Tapco mags and not had any problems without a BG. Guns will vary slightly which is why some will need it. I will have some 5.45 bullet guides in for sale shortly for those that need it.