To whomever

Setting up the dies requires putting together and taking apart the brass/bullet until the depth si correct, case flaring is good, etc. I know to do that first and then prime one case and get the powder charge set, but what happens if for whatever reason a primer needs to be removed?

I haven't had to do it yet, mainly asking for when it does. Just toss the brass and primer? Can the de-priming die take out a live primer safely? I've seen it online, but I've also seen all sorts of dumb shit on the net and "he didn't blow his fuckin' hand off so you should be good" doesn't fly for me.

So...what's the verdict, the depriming die is good to go, or just pitch the brass and primer and move on?

Thanks

Eric

I just deprime live primers with the depriming tool in the press... I dont reef on it, and I dont jam it fast... I just press down slow... and "poink"... out they pop. Normally you shouldn't need to deprime a case... As you can always put powder and a bullet BACK into it... Thats why they make kinetic bullet pulling hammers to pull the bullets from improperly loaded rounds... but you shoul'd still be able to reload that brass keeping the primer that was in there before, in there.

Dont forget... when pondering the issue of depriming a case... we are talking about a ready to load case... at this point, the case has already been tumbled, so its clean and shiny, and the outside is relatively smooth and it has been full length resized, so it will fit in the die without much force needed to get it all the way in... still... put a little bit of case lube on it anyways, before running it back into the die again just to make sure it doesnt get stuck. ( Thats a bitch in itself...) Also, the primer pocket should be reamed and the primer should fit in as perfectly as it ever could... it is not crimped in place requiring extra "oomph" to break it loose from the casing... REMEMBER, you want to go nice and slow so its not a jarring force, just a gentle pushing force... They should pop right out nice as you please. AND they will be usable again!

They also say to ALWAYS wear safety glasses when reloading... :up:

I have deprimed MANY cases... never had an issue... maybe someday I might... but then again... its not to often I have to DEPRIME brass... I just reload them with something else and go on about shooting them.

If you are THAT worried about it... soak them in water overnight, then deprime, and reload after they dry out.

:smoke:

• 1 month later...