is the .308 one of the easiest to convert?

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not trying to be negative toward anyone. That being said...

I don't agree. I've converted one .308, two 7.62x39s, and two Saiga 12s. The .308 took the longest to complete out of all of them. It's my opinion that there are also less after market/conversion parts for the .308 than the 12 or 7.62x39.

You can buy the .308 and the 7.62x39 that already have grip nut holes from the factory, so that's not really a selling point.

The trigger guard is harder to figure out on the .308, and even the premade trigger guards take more work to install on the .308. My preference is not to cut holes in the receiver if I don't have to.

As far as the trigger group goes, if memory serves right, the disco spring doesn't quite fit, so you have to mod it, and the hole it goes into.

Oh yeah, once you get it all converted you need a new safety lever, because the .308 factory lever is special.

To me, the bullet guide on the 7.62x39 isn't so bad in comparison.

Maybe I just had a rough conversion, and maybe it will be as easy for you as the other guys said.

I hear you, but I can only speak from my experience. I used Dinzag's kit so it was just a drop in trigger group with the safety problem fixed. I did have to drill a hole for the trigger guard. I think without Dinzag's drop in kit I would have been lost.

A huge +1 for Dinzag's .308 FCG! It makes the conversion very easy, safe, and reliable. I just slightly modified the factory trigger guard and re-used it. If the PG nut hole is already cut, the Saiga .308 is very easy to convert/restore.

Yes, most often the PG hole is pre-cut. Plus no drilling out rivets to move the trigger group. I had a few minor snags, but all in all was very easy. Just do a little research and you will be good to go.

I have to agree here, the hardest part was to drill out the trigger guard to move it, and with my luck, I also had to cut a hole for my pistol grip....

Yes, most often the PG hole is pre-cut. Plus no drilling out rivets to move the trigger group. I had a few minor snags, but all in all was very easy. Just do a little research and you will be good to go.

I have to agree here, the hardest part was to drill out the trigger guard to move it, and with my luck, I also had to cut a hole for my pistol grip....

this IS the easiest to convert, just slide tg under mag release and rivit on back. put in fcg,done. i have always heard of people talking about the safety on the .308, but had no problems with mine.

Okay - let's just say that, out of all the Saiga products to convert, I am glad I went with the .308 first... Sure! I had to grind down the hammer nub on the G2 hammer and I had to get Dinzag to do some majic on my FSB and (M60) Flashhider... And get a Dinzag front Iron for my Handguard... But what Saiga worth it's weight isn't necessary of some mods...? No holes to cut and no holes to fill...

That's what it's the easiest...

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau

Don't jump me for laziness but is the IZ-220 (saiga 308 with thumbhole stock and forward setup trigger) already in a setup for dropping in a G2 trigger assembly? Not everything is going smoothly on my S12 at the moment. 1 snag.

Is this 308 saiga just like any AK internally? And are the internals easily switched out for US aftermarket ones?

this IS the easiest to convert, just slide tg under mag release and rivit on back. put in fcg,done. i have always heard of people talking about the safety on the .308, but had no problems with mine.

Did you use Dinzag's G2 FCG? He modifies them specifically for this reason.

Edited by DrGonZo
  • 3 weeks later...

same question as CavScout-the .308 ver 21 looks like the trigger assembly is already forward?

The internal dimensions of the S-308 are the same as any other Saiga (an/or AK) and AK Fire Control Group (FCG) parts (Hammer, trigger-single hook, and sear) all fit with these exceptions...

1. Aftermarket (U.S.) hammers have a hump on the front just above the axis pin hole that need to be ground flush to clear the center support rivet.

2. The hole for the sear spring is too small in most U.S. sears to fit an AK (and Saiga sear spring) and must be drilled out or get a smaller diameter sear spring [i have no idea why they don't just include that fricken spring]...

3. On some U.S. FCG's, the tab on the bottom of the safety need to have material added (brazed, soldered) to it or a safety lever with an oversized tab utilized to make the safety work properly. FSE and many Red Star FCG's work just fine with the stock safety.

These are all pretty easy fixes - even for the home hobbiest and have been discussed ad-nausium here on the forum, and there are plenty of business members who specialize in these fixes and bargain prices if you aren't comfortable doing them yourself.

Still - I maintain, that the S-308 is the easiest Saiga to convert to pistol grip.

Macbeau sends...