.308 vs. 7.62NATO

7.62 Nato Milsurp is made for reliable operation in battle field conditions and to withstand severe conditions of supply and storage. As such it will generally be less accurate - however in commercial/hand loadings your gun will determine what it likes best. Some 7.62 may out shoot .308 or vice versa. The quality of the load and the interaction of the particular bullet /bullet diameter /weight will determine what works best. Shoot a lot of different stuff and then use what works best for your needs.

Since the S-308 is is proof-tested for both, I don't think that's an issue here (.308 having the higher SAMMI pressure specs) Shoot 7.62x51 for reliability and "stock-up" ammo and .308WIN for hunting. The S-308 is safe to shoot it all and most (if not all) are stamped with both calibers on the receiver... Mine like weights > 150 grains... moving at least 2550fps or better...

As far as surplus 7.62x51; South African, Portuguese, Packaged IMI, German (DAG), British (most NATO stuff) Lithuanian, Pakistani, Singapore, pre-1980 Indian has been good stuff - in varying degrees... I would avoid 1990's Indian like a whore on crack and stay away from loose IMI rounds... dubious quality and not worth it...

Macbeau sends...

sounds like 5.56 vs .223.....

Never really knew there was a difference....

yeh especially on the 556, the casing is thicker so it doesnt hold as much powder, check it out on wiki then look at 223. thats my favorite website besides this forum lol

sounds like 5.56 vs .223.....

Never really knew there was a difference....

yeh especially on the 556, the casing is thicker so it doesnt hold as much powder, check it out on wiki then look at 223. thats my favorite website besides this forum lol

Keep in mind that the less volume (thicker case) adds up to more pressure for the same amount of powder. I know that 308/7.62 and 223/5.56 have some slight differences, such as the NATO loads having looser tolerances (as in fitting in the chamber easier) for better fully auto situations.

I haven't seen a rifle made in the last two years that doesn't have the 308 rating while most have both, now that doesn't mean there aren't any. My guess is if your selling American you best build to our specs. And yes this is our round dang it and the real reason we never went metric! :)

I shoot 7.62x51mm nato in my FN FAL and HK 91, I shoot match .308 in my remington 700p. Most .308 autoloading rifles like DPMS or the like

are made for .308 only and will not run properly with nato.

If you want a rifle that will eat through both and ask for more, try the FAL or HK 91. Both proven weapons.

The only difference is the 308 is rated for a higher pressure than the NATO. Some difference in brass may exist but nothing that will make any real difference. The Saiga is rated for 308 and will shoot the hell out of NATO or 308 all day long.

• 1 month later...

I'll 2nd the vote for Nato .308 in the Saiga. My new S308 certainly liked the DAG Nato surplus that I used to break it in. Clean and accurate. But, after reading about potential barrel wear from the tin plated steel bullet jackets, I'm considering sparing use.

The Saiga has a chrome lined barrel I doubt there is much wear from the much softer metals used in bullets, fouling sure but wear not a lot. Now there can be some difference in wear for the chamber if you are using steel case over brass. I consider brass to be superior to steel but that is just an opinion of mine based on ability to reload brass and "dial in" the ammo to the rifle. I did use exclusively steel cased to break in my 308 but not since.

Interesting thread like so many before it regarding the "difference" between 7.62X51 and 308 Win.

In fact, there really is no difference.

Mil spec pressure is 50,000 CUP (Copper Units of Pressure)

Civilian spec is 62,000 PSI (pounds per square inch)

Now if you fire a 308 Win. in a copper crusher test gun it will show the same 50,000 cup even though it shows 62,000 in PSI on transducer equipment. Y'all are using different yardsticks to measure the same thing.

Like a guy jumping up trying to hook a tape measure on the top of a board his buddy is holding up. I ask him why not lay the board down and he indignantly informs me "Hey Stupid, I wanna know how tall it is, not how long it is".

Apart from pressures, there are some dimensional differences (shoulders) also. This makes NATO ammo stick after firing in some .308 chambers. I have tried this on more than one hunting rifle (Reminton) and had to beat the action open with a stick afterwards. After that happening twice, I will no longer do it in precision bolt action rifles.

I am sure semi auto guns like the AK have no problems running either ammo.

C