Buying a Saiga in CA

Hey there, so I've been reading up on the forum but have yet to find how living in California do I go about getting a Saiga? From what I gathered it

needs to stay in the sporting mode, magazine disconnect button and 10 round clips or less. conversion can be done later

So does a FFL need to ship gun into to CA if I bought online? or are there any shops in the Bay Area that can do sell outright? any answers would be helpful

sorry if this has been covered somewhere., I looked. really I did .. ha ha

you can buy them in the factory "sporting configuration" with mag lock alot of places through out cal.

check out calguns.net for a ton of good california related firearm info.

in the s.f. bay area i would try the gun vault in mt. view. they have them in stock

pretty regularly.

Edited by hellraiser

you can buy them in the factory "sporting configuration" with mag lock alot of places through out cal.

check out calguns.net for a ton of good california related firearm info.

in the s.f. bay area i would try the gun vault in mt. view. they have them in stock

pretty regularly.

thanks for the heads up, I was just looking at there website easrlier today too. Did not see them lising any Saiga's

• 3 weeks later...

Best to just get online and have sent direct to FFL. I haven't seen them in too many gun shops in Bay Area. They need to have Mag lock and no hi-caps (+10) rounds. Conversions are fine as long as no folders or retractable stocks and they have to be over a certain length all together (I think 30" inches) from butt to end of barrel. Got mine from Arms of America, LLC located in AZ. They have good prices and will take care of you there.

Saiga rifles/shotguns are available throughout California. Just have to comply with silly AW laws. For example, the S12 needs to have a bullet button device or otherwise disable the mag release so it requires some tool to drop the mag for reloads. You also can't have a pistol grip AND a folding/collapsible stock on a semi-auto shotgun though you can have either one separately. 10 round limit on new mag purchases also.

So basically conversions are fine for the S12, just have to go fixed stock and 10 round fixed mag.

Last thing is you cannot own the older Kalashnikov USA imported Saiga, cause that is a listed AW regardless of features. All other importers are fine.

Edited by stix213

I looked around for a Saiga 12 in the bay area myself and had some trouble locating one. Bullseye in San Rafeal does carry them from time to time but hasn't had them in stock lately. I eventually ordered one from Atlantic Firearms -- they have an extensive CA legal section, including a full conversion CA legal Saiga 12. Then I found another problem.

Some of the gun stores in the bay area are taking a principled stand against assault weapons in general and Saigas in particular. Both the Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito and Irvington Arms in Fremont refused to receive a Saiga 12. Bullseye would receive it but it would cost $300! I eventually came across Bob's Guns in Martinez that was willing to receive it and had the reasonable price of $100 which included the $25 DROS fee.

I looked around for a Saiga 12 in the bay area myself and had some trouble locating one. Bullseye in San Rafeal does carry them from time to time but hasn't had them in stock lately.

FYI, Bullseye in San Rafael is only out of stock right now cause I bought their last one on Saturday :super: Will have it next week!

My FFL up here in Humboldt County will receive them. He is smart and knows the state laws. And so should EVERYONE that owns a gun. I was just in there today, but I forgot to ask him if it is legal for him to receive them in factory configuration (without mag lock) so I can purchase and install my own to save a few bucks. I'm a cunt hair away from just moving to Oregon to get away from these atrocious gun laws. Goddamn hippies make me sick to my ass. I digress, If you are in the market for a Saiga and live in California, I would recommend calling the CA DOJ or having whatever FFL won't receive them call so they can become informed properly. I would also recommend checking your local ballot next voting season for any gun related legislature and vote accordingly, and research your candidates so we don't get another Arnold Schwarzenegger that is going to vote in favor of even more gun/ammo restrictions. Get those Saigas while you still can here in CA!

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in SoCal for 28 years. It got to the point where I could not bring myself to buy gelded rifles anymore. Do what I did and move to another state. You will thank me for it later.

ha ha moving is not an option, (yet) I've been looking around and it looks like Gun Vault is going to be the place to buy as no one else carries them. I don't think I want to pay $100.00 or more to ship to a FFL if I can get one local and cheaper. I need to stop by there as they don't advertise price online.

thanks for the info guys. now time to save some money

• 2 months later...

FYI if you can find a place to receive them, peach state guns is running a special right now 489 shipped California compliant.

just have to find an FFL who will do it for you.

Call Peach State guns for the closest FFL . I think it's $499 shipped with the button from PSG. You should be able to transfer a long arm for $50.

ya, call around for pawn shops and such... getting gun shops to do the transfers will cost way more. I don't live in california anymore but around here the gun shops charge anything from $35 to $100 to do the FFL transfer but the pawn shop I go to only charges $15

When I started shopping for a Saiga 12, I ran into all sorts of roadblocks. I started in April 2010 to try to procure one of these gems. My FFL said he had gotten these in for customers before so I had him order me one, but somehow his distributor couldn't import them into Cali without a bullet button.(The dreaded California bullet button, UUGGHH!) Then the price started rising from $449 to $700, because the distributor had to get the bullet button installed. Distributor didn't have a gunsmiths license, plus shipping to/from said gunsmith. Living in San Diego, and not having a lot of stocking Saiga dealers I was now relegated into going online to buy my Saiga. I found a shop in Orange County called O.C. Armory. and a shop in Costa Mesa called Riflegear. Both are stocking FFL dealers and sell the guns with said bullet button. My wait was over and I picked my gun up after the sundry 10 day waiting period. Now I'm happy as a lark, with a sore shoulder, so far I've put about 500 rounds (about 150 rounds per trip to the range) through my gun. A few FTE's on low brass but the gun cycles and shoots like a champ with slugs (Brenneke K.O.) and Winchester 00 buck. :devil: